Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I like to keep certain things. I am a drunken fool and come across as a cynical bitter dick, but some things make me soft hearted. for instance, I have an heirloom aged glass cabinet in which I store away keepsakes and silly things that are not materially important, but have meaning to me Birthday and holiday cards, for instance; it is so rare these days, for me at least, to get hand-written correspondence. Something someone put some drat effort into, to write, stamp, and mail. I have a bundle of these dating back to my childhood. I like to read them when I am feeling down. Sounds silly I know, but small strange things like that can make a difference in a person's life, or just day to day existence. I also have some notebooks from gradeschool with my stupid doodles and notes in them, even ones as far back as first grade when I wrote an "essay" and cartoon about Gorfeld, my favorite cartoon character.

What sentimental or nostalgic things have you kept over the years? Feel free to tell me to gently caress off, imma blaze now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i have a pilsner bottle opener my roommate from college gave me. ooo and fridge magnets from places ive been. fridge magnets rule

what places

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Weka posted:

You don't come across as bitter or a dick to me OP.

Anyway I think I have a few things I've written stashed away including the journal that says "a good piss is better than a bad gently caress". Looking forward to my new place that's big enough for BOOKSHELVES!

drat that is a good quote. i should get that needlepointed

quick edit: either on some kind of cloth, or on my body

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Haji posted:

Rocks. Pretty rocks, unusual rocks, even completely plain rocks. I have rocks from everywhere I've been in the world. They're very heavy, but somehow I never decide to get rid of them or leave them behind when I move.

and gods love you for that. they may be a piece of fantastic archeology one day

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
i also have kept my teddy bear from infancy. his name is Beaner, because he's full of beans. he has rotating limbs like a GI joe, except for one arm that got torn off; my mom sewed it back on. once i left beaner in a hotel in france by accident, but the staff mailed it to my family. Beaner sits on my bookshelf and i only move him to dust the shelf

all of my Christmas tree ornaments are ones my family either made or collected from our time in Europe years ago

dervinosdoom posted:

I keep drawings my nieces give me, a few are hung up at my desk at work.

:3::3::3::3::3:

i need a second fridge just for this

precision posted:

i have been smoking weed out of the same pipe for 12 years... and before that i had a pipe that was literally exactly the same... for 12 years as well...

gently caress... i think it's time to buy a new pipe

i have my dad's old pipes, and two he gave me for a birthday or some holiday. one has a wood stem and ceramic bowl carved in the shape of a hand. the other is one of those long stemmed pipes made of clay. he also gave me a tiny pipe that was shaped like a growling lion-- im pretty sure it was for smoking opium-- but i lost it :(

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
I am going to share a story i wrote for fourth grade english class which was compiled with all of my classmates' stories for the assignment

RUMPELSTILTKIN CONTINUED

[So the miller's daughter and the king are lonely and live weeks away from anyone else. they thought about calling for RUMPELSTILTKIN. The king got the maid and said, "Go get RUMPELSTILTKIN, we're lonely!" In the morning RUMPELSTILTKIN was there in the palace.

Grace, the miller's daughter, was happy. The babies, Sarah and Jason, cried because of all the people around.

"BRING ME SOME TEA! Don't people give their guests tea anymore?" said RUMPELSTILTKIN.

"But RUMPELSTILTKIN, it's late!" exclaimed Grace.

"WELL GOOD NIGHT!" yelled RUMPELSTILTKIN.
Grace sighed. "Maybe tomorrow will bring better moods." The next morning, Grace smelled tea. She went downstairs and found RUMPELSTILTKIN.

"I made tea, okay?"
"Okay, okay," said Grace, feeling a little annoyed.

"Seriously, I'd die without tea," said RUMPELSTILTKIN. Grace went upstairs. She said to Peter the king, "RUMPELSTILTKIN is annoying. He should go home."
"Okay," said the king.

The next morning, RUMPELSTILTKIN was gone. The End]

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Szyznyk posted:

I have my grandfather’s dog tags from WWII and Korea, his I Am A Catholic Please Call A Priest necklace that he wore with them so he could get last rites if necessary, and his coin collection. I barely knew him and he died a day before my first birthday in 1981 but I apparently was his favorite baby and would mooch his scrambled eggs.

that owns

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
my father's mother died years ago, and somehow i wound up with her jewelry box. i stuck it away in my cupboard and thought nothing of it, until i decided to give it to two of my nieces for Christmas last year. i cleaned it up and polished the necklaces inside as best i could, and wrapped them all up in gaudy paper. i wasn't going to do anything else with it, so why not? while wrapping the box itself i discovered it had a musical chime that plays when you open it, wound by a wingnut screw at the bottom that i had never seen. i had one of those moments where you get a gift for someone and almost decide to just keep it for yourself...but i'm glad i resisted and the next generation will have the box

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

When my grandpa died, I by default inherited all his pens, including a Parker Vacuumatic from 1944 that still works perfectly. It will forever be my No. 1 pen.

loving poo poo there is one used on ebay for nearly $1,000

there is one on etsy for $175, so....i will look into this more

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

was this a remote controlled toy truck or what

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I'm a loving idiot hoarder that can't throw anything away but like my most sentimental piece is a full sized(?) blue baseball bat from a free bat day game I went to at Tiger's Stadium.

When I was a toddler my mother had a friend from work who was like a grandfather to me, he gave me my first stuffed animal and I named it after him. He was around through my childhood and when I was 9 he found out I'd never been to a baseball game so he took me to one, we had fun, I saw Cecil Fielder hit one out of the park, and it was Bat Day so they were giving away free bats and since it was 1993 it was a usable sized bat and not one of those little footlong ones. He said we should start going to games regularly but while I was at my Dad's for the summer that year he passed away. He was the only "family member" who ever even tried to take me to a sporting event.

Anyway I've managed to hold on to this bat for 30 years and yet I've never give a single poo poo about basesball.

hold onto it, you might need to brain someone to death with it have a magical moment in which you hit a world series home run with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Telsa Cola posted:

I had a hat that a member of my hired work crew gave me down in Belize one day. I tend not to wear hats, even when I'm out doors in the sun all day so he probably thought I was an idiot and brought me one. It was a well worn, camo patterned baseball cap.

I was pretty touched, and basically ended up always wearing the hat whenever I was out on survey. I lost it a year or two later out by Jerome in AZ while helping monitor some heavy equipment. Winds blew it away.

I still miss that hat.

Same guy also roasted a gibnut and brought some to share. Super tasty.

track down the hat. there is an adventure to be had here