Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It’s shocking to look back on the first warcraft and how old it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

It’s shocking to look back on the first warcraft and how old it is

world of warcraft first released in 2004, and people are still playing it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

world of warcraft first released in 2004, and people are still playing it

And Blizzard got really complacent with the income it provided.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
please put aoe 2 remaster team onto fixing warcraft 3 don't really care about anything else

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
i used to work there and wouldn't recommend it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just don’t gently caress up starcraft.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

a coworker got a few of us to try it when they launched classic; it was a from-launch version, no expansions or patches

:actually: it was patched, it just didn’t have any of the patch content (e.g. new raids), which they released in phases

so yes, everyone who’d forgotten how grindy wow was, and how boring the endgame felt, all got to relive that experience, now in their forties

(i was one of them; i made it back to 60, did a few strat runs, and then bailed because i’d gotten what i wanted from it. maybe if i’d played with goons)

and to think, original wow was actually remarkably less grindy than most of its contemporaries

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rjmccall posted:

:actually: it was patched, it just didn’t have any of the patch content (e.g. new raids), which they released in phases

so yes, everyone who’d forgotten how grindy wow was, and how boring the endgame felt, all got to relive that experience, now in their forties

(i was one of them; i made it back to 60, did a few strat runs, and then bailed because i’d gotten what i wanted from it. maybe if i’d played with goons)

and to think, original wow was actually remarkably less grindy than most of its contemporaries

oooooh, I didn't realize it had the balances and stuff added in. the grind was so overpowering I was convinced it was old mechanics partly at play, which is all the more damning

yeah, it was certainly less grindy than eq1. it was more forgiving when you wiped, too, which made it more enjoyable at the time. i don't think I'd have tried to make an opposing city fun run in eq1 but i did every major city on my original wow char

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, iirc it used the last balance patch from before the first expansion, and it had any content changes except those tied to raids or world events that weren’t phased in yet

i think there might have been grind changes in some of those early patches? i don’t remember. it wasn’t anything dramatic, though, not until the first expansion. mostly it’s a ton of poo poo like “oops, rogues can technically kill you without going into combat”

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Micosoft

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

just don’t gently caress up starcraft.

too late!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wake me up when Microsoft buys Nintendo and sega

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Buck Turgidson posted:

please put aoe 2 remaster team onto fixing warcraft 3 don't really care about anything else

this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
master chief, chip's challenge, clippy to be added to the roster of Heroes of the Storm

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1483495083731308552

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
warcraft 2 was the good one

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I thought they already owned it. Who are the goobers that made halo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fortaleza posted:

I thought they already owned it. Who are the goobers that made halo

the people who made marathon

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it'd be pretty lol if they spun out blizzard to avoid claims of over-consolidating the industry and all that's left is hd 4k remakes of earlier blizzard games

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
As someone who doesn’t have a ton of time to play games anymore, game pass is fine. I get to play some new stuff, dive into some classics, and I don’t have to worry about dropping $60 on some new release that I end up regretting.

So yay Microsoft

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

343 I think handles halo now

and they are owned by MS

Bunge made the of series and they make destiny now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah when bungie got told they weren't allowed to make halos anymore they just started making a quasi-MMO FPS that they could constantly extract microtransaction bucks out of and now that's all they do

hilariously the current state of Destiny 2 is so hosed that you can't play content you paid $20 for four years ago because they're putting entire campaigns and poo poo in the forever vault to be able to continue selling new poo poo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

companies like Microsoft making "big bets on the metaverse" feels like reaching the end of something as a society

yeah, people compare the situation now to the 1970s but in the 1970s you could see home computers and financialization on the horizon. now you have ape NFTs and augmented reality office parties and the serious people in charge are forced to act like it's just as promising

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

bump_fn posted:

at least it will make a lot of gamers really angry

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

yeah, people compare the situation now to the 1970s but in the 1970s you could see home computers and financialization on the horizon. now you have ape NFTs and augmented reality office parties and the serious people in charge are forced to act like it's just as promising

the tech industry is both desperate to find the next big thing and obsessed with not missing it so they'll believe in any bullshit that might remotely look like it

imo the reality is that pretty much all possible useful applications for computers already exist and there is no "next big thing", only incremental improvements, and it will take some years for the industry to accept that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

call of duty is going to be implemented with the metro ui and cortana will guide the player through the tutorial

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, putting cortana in a popular console shooter would be wild

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
good morning, master chief. what will your first sequence of the day be?

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 20, 2022

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
The fact that microsoft has bought activision just to acquire more IP's , while they let arguably their most important one, chips challenge, rot is just a shame

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i didn't expect big tiddy cod gf to be microsoft's big move but it tracks

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37W5IVgtZ6g

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mutton chop cod guy versus gex teh gecko

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I guess Bungie is what I was thinking of. As a man of taste I just stick to playstation and nintendo titles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the video game industry just got x-boned

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

triple A? more like triple rear end

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

https://twitter.com/gamesbizuk/status/1483435864378290179

$292,970,341

that slimefucker

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Jim Raynor voice: bing up your rear end

when somebody joins the teams call more than 5 minutes late it automatically plays the voice clip "Hell, It's About Time."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you can tell no one cared about cortana the voice assistant because they could release a game where she goes completely rogue the next year

and then another game where she commits genocide 5 years after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

really got to get him for cause otherwise lol