Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

My abusive father who loves football never taught me how the gently caress the game works but got mad when I didn't understand it. Then got more mad when I thought it was a nonsense game rooted in racism once I asked? Please Goons help me understand this game. I'm a long term Mt:G/HS player this should not be so loving opaque. I would love to know how it works and how to interpret the rules beyond "black men destroy their bodies in the service of their white overlords."

I am sure it has rules and regulations and I am sure I should be able to understand what poo poo like "first down and 10" means but this is all nonsense, right?

They may as well be playing racist Quidditch for all I can tell?

Help I want to understand please.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Bloop posted:

seriously though I'm surprised more nerds don't like football

It's a turn based RPG with stats and different classes and special moves and poo poo.

Not only that but it's a weekly episodic with story lines, rivalries and things that culminate in season finales which can't be spoilered and happen in real time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chief McHeath posted:

They played with a big football? How much bigger was it than a regular one?

I know they do varsity and junior varsity but I didn't know high schools played big football.

Everyone up to the NFL plays with a slightly 'rounder' football.
The NFL's ball is a bit narrower and slightly (less than an inch) longer.

The NFL adopted the change to the shape of the ball as the forward pass became more common at the pro-level than it did at the collegiate. The narrower ball is ever so slightly easier to grip by the QB and thus easier to pass.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

It'd be better if they just left the clock running and forced them to set up their plays as fast as possible.

That's gonna be a hard sell to the others who've already expressed concern over player safety issues in this thread.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

love the idea of a German guy who’s really into american football as a weird hobby

There's a dude named David Bada who plays for Washington who was born in Munich.
There's a group of fans that always drape German flags over the rails for him and wear his jersey and go nuts for him.