Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mbt posted:

lol gently caress, during elden ring week too. ill keep mine short enough to finish on wednesday/thursday

the legacy of good/bad alternating games will continue with my pick:

it's like the immortal for genesis but better
Play this with the arrowkeys on your keyboard like doom, if you have a gravis gamepad then lol

There are 12 levels, 6 apprentice and 6 wizard towers. The wizard towers are just the apprentice levels but slightly remixed and you have to find an additional key, and it's a lot harder.
I've never beaten all 12 towers and theres no footage online of anyone doing that, so that won't be the challenge. The first 6 is plenty, that'll take you maybe 2-3 hours. if you hate it and dip after 3 levels that'll take maybe 1-2 hours
Beat the first 3 apprentice towers
Beat the first 6 apprentice towers

your goal in each level is to kill every enemy and blow up the monster generator with a bomb you find in the level. Red on the lower left indicates there are monsters on that floor.

turn up your sound (the music and sound are amazing) and enjoy this apogee classic :cheers:

trying to jack off posted:

i veto mystic towers, way to waste your vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

im trying to remember, is that the spikes section? im assuming its hell in the us version with the extra damage lol

It's the room with crumbling platforms. Both spike rooms are so ingrained in me now that they're almost automatic

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thinking of mystic towers and trying to pull back memories of playing it as a kid, but all the memories have been replaced by rich evans saying aids on repeat

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

It's the room with crumbling platforms. Both spike rooms are so ingrained in me now that they're almost automatic

oh christ yeah lol, the last jump got me a so many times until i learned how to abuse the spawning

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
6th Week Game:

Mystic Towers (DOS) - 1994 - Deadline 3/1/22 11:59PM EST

Mystic Towers is a video game created by Australian developer Animation F/X and published by Manaccom domestically and Apogee Software internationally. Originally exclusive to DOS, it was re-released on Steam in 2015 with Windows and Mac OS support. It stars Baron Baldric, an old wizard with a magic staff and an array of amusing mannerisms, who must quest through twelve towers and rid them of monsters. Mystic Towers is a sequel to Baron Baldric: A Grave Adventure, a platform game in which Baron Baldric battled an evil sorcerous ancestor. The earlier game, originally written for the Amiga and later ported to the PC, was published by Manaccom and not released outside of Australia.

lmfao

Here is the entire soundtrack to the game, it sounds interesting to say the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf6hkZnPYNY

Challenge Badges for Week 6 (thanks to mbt for designing them and the challenges this week)

: Beat the first 3 apprentice towers
: Beat the first 6 apprentice towers

Here is a link to the manual: https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/358220/manuals/manual.pdf?t=1567679970

Link to fully figured dosbox file on archive: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Mystic_Towers_1994

Game starts on 2/23/22 at 12:00AM EST. Good luck gamers!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lol, fcuk

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imp Zone Pioneers but for real

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the first three levels shouldn't be bad at all, getting 6 can be rough esp because if you lose all 9 lives, that's it. there are a lot of enemies later on that can kill you pretty fast.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

starting ninja gaiden 3 (jp difficulty patch) https://twitch.tv/bug_deal

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Man_CRNA and mbt both start with the same letter... just sayin

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

b_d posted:

starting ninja gaiden 3 (jp difficulty patch) https://twitch.tv/bug_deal

his difficulty patch is hosed and continuing is starting him the beginning of the entire stage instead of at the substage he was at, so come watch him play stage 7 5 million times

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the 7-2b play is stressing me out too much to continue onto seeing the rest

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I'm going to destroy Mystic Towers before Friday. Annihilate it on the path to Elden Ring

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Joan posted:

I'm going to destroy Mystic Towers before Friday. Annihilate it on the path to Elden Ring

thank you for saving the rest of us from its curse

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

his difficulty patch is hosed and continuing is starting him the beginning of the entire stage instead of at the substage he was at, so come watch him play stage 7 5 million times

wait is that not how its supposed to go

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

wait is that not how its supposed to go

lol, turns out that patch is somewhere between japan easy and america hard

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
theres a second patch that i thought adressed something about continuing and poo poo but guess thats broken too

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I think that is how it's supposed to work lol. The difference is US puts you at the A of a stage when you die while JP puts you at the beginning of whatever letter you were on

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Maybe not though I didn't play the actual JP version

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If you die in the JP version you respawn in the same section (73B ie), if you continue you go back to the A section of the same number.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've been wondering why they didn't just retranslate the JP game instead of making 2 whole difficulty patches. Maybe that is somehow more difficult.

I think I'll play through the actual Japanese version today for good measure

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

I've been wondering why they didn't just retranslate the JP game instead of making 2 whole difficulty patches. Maybe that is somehow more difficult.

I think I'll play through the actual Japanese version today for good measure
all the translations on romhacking are based on the us version, so there's probably some tedious obstacle or another

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Most emulators can only load one ips patch so unless you patched it manually I bet it only loaded the first one lol

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol gently caress

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

1cc'd Ninja Ryukenden III - Yomi no Hakobune in like 30 minutes lol. I bet I could clear this version without dying if I got faster at the last stage and better at the first phase of the final boss.

Playing this version after practically memorizing the US one gives me a new appreciation for just how devious not only the changed enemy placement is in the US version, but the changed item layout as well. For instance the single sword upgrade (which is more or less required for the boss) in act 3 of the US version comes at the very end of the stage in what is an optional extra life spot in the JP version. On the other hand JP throws out sword upgrades like candy. But strangely it seems like even the hosed up US devs thought they went too far in a few places so they added in the invincibility flame shield in places it wasn't in the JP version. I'm glad I played both versions, and while the US version was very, very satisfying to finally beat the JP one is just plain fun in a way that makes me want to keep replaying it. Even if it is like 5% of the challenge lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

just watching bd play last night had me wanting to play more

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got 1 through 6 down deathless easy...for 7 it's just a matter of getting the flame wheel all the way to the end with like 30 seconds on the clock

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mbt posted:

Most emulators can only load one ips patch so unless you patched it manually I bet it only loaded the first one lol

i patched it manually. lunar ips ftw

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i patched manually with both patches... didnt even know emus could handle patching by themselves (which i think makes sense given nes isnt very taxing)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

b_d posted:

i patched it manually. lunar ips ftw

elf help book posted:

lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

clearly the people who made the rom hacks overlooked that change. i did everything perfectly. it's their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

How an I getting worse at 7-3B?