Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I probably wouldn't be happy if the Jets signed Nathan Peterman, but who cares if he's a 3rd string or Practice Squad QB? Plus like someone else said, Chicago is going all in Fields so there's no reason to get someone that the fans might start clamoring for 3 games into the season if Fields struggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
He's no Mike White.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Oh, and here's the White supremacist!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

BlindSite posted:

See that's kinda gotta make me think the dudes some kind of idiot savant at every aspect of being a professional QB except for putting passes in hands of receivers on game day.

I think with Peterman he was known for doing trick shots and so he's very accurate and can probably do some impressive poo poo in certain settings. I don't think he can handle either the physical or mental pressure of the position to be honest. lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

syzpid posted:

I probably wouldn't be happy if the Jets signed Nathan Peterman, but who cares if he's a 3rd string or Practice Squad QB? Plus like someone else said, Chicago is going all in Fields so there's no reason to get someone that the fans might start clamoring for 3 games into the season if Fields struggles.

In what way are the Bears going "all-in" on Fields?

The FO did not provide any supporting talent for him this year. In fact, the opposite! The surrounding talent for him in 2022 looks to be worse than the what he had in 2021.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ornery and Hornery posted:

In what way are the Bears going "all-in" on Fields?

The FO did not provide any supporting talent for him this year. In fact, the opposite! The surrounding talent for him in 2022 looks to be worse than the what he had in 2021.

In the same way the Colts didn't have a comptent backup behind Wentz last season. It's either Fields or it's no one.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
No word on whether massages will be part of the package...

Sources: Deshaun Watson to meet with NFL, also will bring Cleveland Browns offensive teammates to Bahamas to bond

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33927755/source-deshaun-watson-bring-browns-offense-bahamas-bond-work-out

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Peterman is 28. Manning is 46. Which means ...

Nathan Peterman IS one of Peyton's illegitimate children :aaaaa:

He also started his college career at Tennessee and then left under mysterious* circumstances :hmmyes: I think you're onto something

he was backing up Dobbs and grad transfered so he could start at Pitt. With Jim Chaney as QB coach! :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I found this intersting.

https://deadspin.com/nebraska-high-school-qb-could-usher-in-next-evolution-a-1848951944

quote:

Football has seen many evolutions in its time, and a kid in Nebraska may be introducing the next one to the game. Mikey Gow (class of 2025), Bellevue East QB in Bellevue, NE, started on varsity as a 14-year-old freshman last season and can throw the ball with either arm. Yep, that’s right. Gow could be the first known ambidextrous QB, and he’s already receiving lots of attention for his extraordinary skill.

Kid can throw equally well with both hands. I know it's been done in baseball but there's never been a QB I can recall that could - or at least DID - do it. I'd imagine it would help him on rollouts, assuming he can move, but I'm not sure how much or a real advantage that might be overall.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

BiggerBoat posted:

I found this intersting.

https://deadspin.com/nebraska-high-school-qb-could-usher-in-next-evolution-a-1848951944

Kid can throw equally well with both hands. I know it's been done in baseball but there's never been a QB I can recall that could - or at least DID - do it. I'd imagine it would help him on rollouts, assuming he can move, but I'm not sure how much or a real advantage that might be overall.

For those interested in easy access to the visuals. Kid's got Lamar Jackson's attention already...

https://twitter.com/Lj_era8/status/1527272968795070465

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CocoaNuts posted:

For those interested in easy access to the visuals. Kid's got Lamar Jackson's attention already...

https://twitter.com/Lj_era8/status/1527272968795070465

Mike Vick was right handed but threw lefty and could also throw right handed but just didn’t for whatever reason

So no he’s not the first ever

e: also this guy apparently

https://twitter.com/Drolaw/status/1527000546460192771?s=20&t=qFQq33qACaK-ZIX5zkPc0Q

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 20, 2022

Nov 6, 2002

It doesn't really seem like it would be that big of an advantage.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

the trick plays would be sick tho

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Seems like it would be a lot more valuable as a skill if he was allowed to dual-wield footballs in an actual game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It doesn't really seem like it would be that big of an advantage.

I don't think so either. If the guy was a baseball pitcher I could see it (like a switch hitter) but, honestly, how often in a football game does a guy throwing across his body really effect the outcome of a play? I know that defenses kind of "cheat" on pass rushes to flush the QB away from his dominant hand and offenses call designed rollouts but I don't see how this kid's talent opens up the playbook by magnitudes in and of itself.

I guess one could argue that you can do disguised rollouts and move the pocket in creative ways based on formations but I can't picture it driving defenses particularly crazy trying to defend or worry about it all that much. Teams do this anyway; load up one side, play action, then a reverse rollout to single/free up a leaking receiver into the weak side.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If he's truly ambidextrous there's a lot less of a learning curve on doing things rear end about in terms of roll outs and plays to either side. QBs always have a side they're better at rolling out to which means you can gameplan a little more for it, but if the dude can develop into being able to boot let and roll out and throw to either side or slide around in the pocket and keep his mechanics it would be an interesting thing to work with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it’s a gimmick and he’ll have to pick an arm, can’t be passing it between hands constantly during a scramble

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his first throw in the video sucked. the whole thing is a hoax. that kid isn't even alive anymore probably. most people are dead

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I can't really see how that would give any big advantage during the game. I guess it would open up rollouts to either side a little bit. Or he could always turn to face where a dominant rusher lines up so they're not on his blind side.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If the Ravens can devise a system that turns a QB that can’t throw good into an MVP, surely some other team can do the same for a guy that can throw doubly good

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Is Fitzpatrick still hurt? Or is he likely to get a chance once someone gets hurt in camp? Going to be sad not having Fitzpatrick around.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Foles to be Matt Ryan's backup with the Colts. But the Eagles apparently wanted him.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...hia-jalen-hurts

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
CBS ranks the best new QB/head coach combos in the league:

1. Buccaneers: Tom Brady (QB), Todd Bowles (HC)*

2. Broncos: Russell Wilson (QB)*, Nathaniel Hackett (HC)*

3. Browns: Deshaun Watson (QB)*, Kevin Stefanski (HC)

4. Colts: Matt Ryan (QB)*, Frank Reich (HC)

5. Vikings: Kirk Cousins (QB), Kevin O'Connell (HC)*

6. Raiders: Derek Carr (QB), Josh McDaniels (HC)*

7. Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence (QB), Doug Pederson (HC)*

8. Steelers: Kenny Pickett (QB)*, Mike Tomlin (HC)

9. 49ers: Trey Lance (QB)*, Kyle Shanahan (HC)

10. Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa (QB), Mike McDaniel (HC)*

11. Bears: Justin Fields (QB), Matt Eberflus (HC)*

12. Commanders: Carson Wentz (QB)*, Ron Rivera (HC)

13. Giants: Daniel Jones (QB), Brian Daboll (HC)*

14. Seahawks: Geno Smith (QB)*, Pete Carroll (H

15. Falcons: Marcus Mariota (QB)*, Arthur Smith (HC)

16. Texans: Davis Mills (QB), Lovie Smith (HC)*

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/six-nfl-players-poised-for-a-breakout-2022-season-tua-tagovailoa-among-those-ready-to-make-a-leap/

Here's their rationale, FYI:

The 2022 NFL offseason was full of big-name movement, and one look around the league confirms it: among the 32 teams, literally half of them will enter the year with new pairings at the most important positions. A whopping 16 different clubs will debut new quarterback-head coaching duos. As you may have guessed, some are more promising than others.

Here, we're ranking all 16.

A few clarifiers: A team just needs one new starting QB or head coach to qualify (e.g. Daniel Jones has been the Giants' QB for years, but he represents a new duo alongside new hire Brian Daboll). Surprisingly, only one team has both a new QB and HC.
We're ranking the duos, not their respective teams. That said, QB-HC duos can be a good indicator of a team's standing. Chances are, if your favorite team's pairing is high on the list, they're better positioned to overcome other weaknesses.
This is a 2022 ranking more than a "draft." We'd much rather gamble on Trevor Lawrence or Trey Lance for the long term, for example, but Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins are already proven starters.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

texans should be top 12

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Tannehill felt the heat, then melted.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1529148854859313152

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tannehill? look more like a tanned hide from here. Over here.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Frank Reich? That's a name I haven't heard in a long while. Good for him, going into coaching and getting a ring with the Eagles as their OC.

He threw the first TD pass ever for the Carolina Panthers.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 25, 2022

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CannonFodder posted:

Frank Reich? That's a name I haven't heard in a long while. Good for him, going into coaching and getting a ring with the Eagles as their OC.

He threw the first TD pass ever for the Carolina Panthers.

Apparently the biggest non-secret in the league is that former backup (white) QBs who were incredibly smart but had lovely physical tools are the best OCs and QB coaches. The entire league is loving full of them now.

Nov 6, 2002

Whadda the ones with big arms and idiot brains go on to do?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

defraud the state of Mississippi for millions of dollars.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

korrandark posted:

defraud the state of Mississippi for millions of dollars.

And dick pics! Don't forget the dick pics!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Bob Socko posted:

And dick pics! Don't forget the dick pics!

I can't look at Crocs in the same light.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Kap as Derek Carr's backup?

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1529557940977418241

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
You know a team is truly desperate when...

The Panthers haven’t closed the door on the possibility of reuniting with free agent quarterback Cam Newton.

Carolina is “open” to bringing back Newton under the conditions that he would not enter training camp as the starter, and would have to agree to a smaller salary, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Newton signed a one-year deal with the Panthers last November after Sam Darnold suffered a shoulder injury. He struggled, going 0-5 while finishing with 684 passing yards, four touchdowns and five interceptions, along with five rushing touchdowns.

Darnold remains on the roster with a guaranteed $18.9 million salary for 2022, according to Spotrac. The former Jets quarterback finished last season with nine touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/panthers-open-to-cam-newton-reunion-under-two-conditions/

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they start a dumb rear end podcast where sage steele goes to humiliate herself

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh please oh please oh please

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

That would own. How likely is it he'd get to sign, instead of this being a flailing PR stunt to distract from the mass Raiders exec/FO exodus and the Gruden lawsuit?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to see the Raiders sign Kaep as revenge for the Gruden shitstorm.

Gruden himself can still get hosed for being what he is, ofc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Of all the teams I thought would have the balls to give him a shot, the Raiders were at the top of my list. Al Davis would have grabbed him up in a heartbeat. He didn't give a gently caress.

Pretty great when you can beat your wife and kids, sexually assault women or kill a motherfucker driving drunk and still have a job waiting for you. But some guy respectfully takes a knee and that might ruin the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Apparently Davis was interested previously when people asked him about Kaep, but I'm sure Gruden would have shot it down instantly.