Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cool thread. Thanks for starting it.

Off the top of my head and whoo boy is that a bad list of free agents and a lovely pool of draft QB's:

Broncos: Probably going to try and land Rodgers

Panthers: Yeesh. I don't know WTF they're gonna do. That's a mess. I could maybe see a Garapollo or Mariotta move since the rest of the team seems...OK enough...and QB play is holding them back a lot. Maybe Watson?

Washington: I guess you could do worse than what they have while you ride out the year but it aint ideal. I don't think Jimmy G would change much. Mariotta might be interesting here also.

Vikings: You almost have to ride out Cousins unless you want to risk signing Watson and everything that goes with that

SF: They hand the keys to Lance

New Orleans: I guess I'd keep Winston. :shrug: Russel Wilson would make sense here.

Eagles: They have 3 first rounders in a weak draft. Hurts progressed this year and Minshew is a good backup. I'd stand pat and rebuild the roster.

Lions: One of these teams is gonna take a flyer on a 1st round QB in the draft and Detroit seems logical. You can trade back and still get Pickett or Malik

Packers: If Rodgers bolts, Jordan Love gets a shot

Miami: Another weird situation. Personally, I'd try to work a scheme around Tua somehow but this is a team with no identity who just canned a good head coach. Watson would make sense if you can deal with the baggage.

Browns: Commit to Baker? I don't know what other options they have. Like Miami, they're kind of stuck. Tyler Huntley did OK last year and may catch someone's eye Matt Castle or Nick Foles style. Looking over NFL backups and no one really stands out as having world changing potential. Does Andy Dalton or Tyrod Talyor excite anybody? Taysom Hill?

Tampa Bay: I didn't even think about this one. Jimmy G or Mariotta here makes sense as a stop gap. Also a flyer on QB in the draft given where they're picking.

NY Giants: Are hosed.

Real interesting to think about. For as much as I feel that there a ton of good young QB's out there and how set most teams feel, when I really look at it, a lot of teams are in no man's land. Someone is gonna take a flyer on Desean Watson or certainly Russel Wilson. Pittsburgh almost has to grab a 1st round QB in the draft, no? Maybe Huntley or Mike WHite caught somebody's eye and think they can develop them but most of the backups are names like Peterman, Flacco, Chase Daniel, Chad Henne, Drew Lock...yeesh.

It wouldn't shock me to see a team pry Minshew from the Eagles. He or Foles might make some sense in PITT.

BlindSite posted:

Trying to think who has decent yard after catch receivers and a good run game?

Miami? Carolina too like you said. Also, I didn't even think of Tampa but that could work. JG could fit in a lot of places with a good coach and surrounding talent.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Double post

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 13, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

indigi posted:

who cares what Montana thinks

I know. What's he ever accomplished?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

How many people actually put any sort of credibility into Aaron Rodgers actually changing teams? Obviously sports media covers it pretty intently, but I don't think I've ever met an actual person who thinks he's going to move on from Green Bay.

Why not? I could see it but it also wouldn't surprise me if went Packer For Life either. A lot of hall of fame QB's changed teams in their later years, going all the way back to Joe Namath. Peyton Manning, Brady, Favre, Kurt Warner, Joe Montana, Ken Stabler...It's hardly unprecedented. Rodgers is a huge pain in the rear end and I'm actually curious why you think it's impossible (or even unlikely).

Anyway, Deadspin did an article that fits with the thread and had a few I hadn't thought about. Bridgewater to IND, Wentz to WAS, Watson to TB and Jimmy G to the Steelers make sense

https://deadspin.com/where-will-these-quarterbacks-go-1848553359

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

For who and to what team though? Cousins isn't as bad as he's made out to be but I can't picture a long line of teams that might think he's a missing piece either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

Who will offer 3 firsts for Wilson? And then be bitterly disappointed when turned down.

Denver? I dunno I like Wilson a lot and always thought he consistently did more with less throughout his career but three #1's is really steep for a guy his age. Is Denver a QB away in a division with KC, SD and an OK Raiders team? Not to mention Buffalo, CIN and teams like BAL, PITT, TENN and even NE and CLE who are right around where they are. Bridgewater is the definition of a game manager.

Wilson would make a lot of sense in PITT but I doubt they'll pay that price.

Bonus option: Someone offers Philly a second rounder for Minshew.

EDIT: and there it is

Russel Wilson to Denver

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 8, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seriously, WTF does Seattle do now? I guess they know they're cooked with SF and LA in that division and in full rebuild mode so why not? Probably they bring in a placeholder in the Andy Dalton/Teddy Bridgewater mold.

I'm listening to Philly sports 94WIP and, for some reason, people are pretty pissed. I wouldn't have made that move if I'm the Eagles. I roll with Jalen Hurts for now and use those three 1st rounders to wheel and deal and rebuild this roster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Somebody brought it up in the NCFE thread but, man, looking at it the NFC QB situations suddenly look pretty dire. What do you got? Rodgers, Stafford (?)and Dak? The AFC is loving loaded: Wilson, Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson. Three rookies with upside in Lawrence, Jones and Zach Wilson. Even their middle tier guys can win here and there.

Right now the team I'm most interested in seeing what they do is Pittsburgh. Would Watson make sense there? Wentz?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CocoaNuts posted:

Broncos were 7-10 last season. With Russell Wilson on the roster, what do you figure their record will be in 2022-23?

10-7, maybe?

Yeah that's a rough division but Denver looked pretty solid last year and feels like one of those teams that needs a QB who can be a game changer and Wilson fits the bill. They've also never really had a mobile guy that can create with his legs that I can remember since Elway, and even John wasn't on Russell's level to that degree. Maybe they can dangle Bridgewater now to Pittsburgh? The Steelers are another team that were limited by QB play so that might not actually make sense given what I just said but Teddy is still a step up from Mason Rudolph.

The gently caress do the Steelers do? If they're serious, I'd honestly make a run at Watson. Wouldn't be their first go round with a QB dealing with questions surrounding his sexual behavior and he'd add some dynamics they haven't had going all the way back to Kordell Stewart. Jiimmy?

I guess Washington just gets whoever is left out of all this and one of these QB needy teams is gonna talk themselves into Malik or Pickett in the draft so who the gently caress knows? Carolina looks like they're up poo poo's creek with a broken Cam Newton and a proven wash out in Sam Darnold. We're going to see some of these mid tier teams gently caress around with Teddy, Wentz, Tua, etc. but outside of Watson, the game changers are off the board.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

Pittsburgh probably signs one of Bridgewater / Dalton / Fitzpatrick / Brissett / Jameis / Mariota and pairs them with a day 2 draft pick.

That right there is better then Ben has been the last two years, so they likely are a playoff team and then just have to hope their defense plays like 11 hof'ers and maybe they win a superbowl.

I hadn't thought of it before but what about Winston to PITT?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'd like to see it just to see over half the country lose their motherfucking minds. He can't possibly be worse than Darnold, Cam Newton last year, whoever TB, IND, SEA or PITT is going start right now, and the dude accomplished a lot in the few years he played. I think he had like one lovely season on a poo poo team and he was always fun to watch.

At a minimum, I bet Cap could come in and be on the level of someone like Jalen Hurts if his legs still work and, more to the point, history is going to be on his side and he deserves another chance IMO. I'd loving love to see him play again and I'll root for whatever team he's on if he does.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Watson to Seattle makes a lot of sense since they don't have a real QB right now and his game is similar to Wilson's. I don't know why anyone would want to take on that baggage though. I guess it's one of those what have they got to lose situations. Whatever, just keep him away from Philadelphia please.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Agree that this league wide salivating over Watson is really loving off putting.

You can commit sexual assault, manslaughter and domestic abuse but god for loving bid you respectfully take a knee during the national anthem. I personally have known a lot of coworkers who claim to have to have checked out of the NFL soley for what Kap and a few other players did but rape, DUI manslaughter and beating the poo poo out of pregnant women doesn't cross that line for them.

I like Watson a lot as a player but I hope he lands on his rear end and pays a price. I know he won't though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

At a fifty perfect hit rate they’d be foolish not to spend a first rounder on a QB every year. Even if they don’t need them, just think of the picks they could get for all of those future HOF QBs they could trade.

So who is still QB hinting now? Carolina, Indy and Seattle I guess. Houston but who cares?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Slightly off topic but here's a PFO article thinking about how Montana, Marino, etc. might fair today

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2022/how-would-marino-montana-have-fared-2021

They list these as possible reasons for the increased passing ratings we see in today's game

- More innovative offensive play design (in particular, play-action becoming more common).
- The inception of more offense-friendly rules.
- Better athletes playing around the quarterback on offense (particularly at receiving positions).
- Better athletes playing against the quarterback on defense.
- More complex defensive coverage schemes.
- Advances in sports medicine and nutrition.
- Reductions in the legal number of full-contact practices per NFL team per season.

One thing not on there that I've always wondered about is if it's possible that video games, particularly the Madden series, might contribute a little bit. It sounds far fetched but hear me out. Generations of QB's and players in general have grown up with the series and a high percentage of NFL players play Madden even now. All sorts of occupations use computer simulations for training purposes and I know that playing the video game has opened up my personal understanding to a lot how the game works; coverages, route concepts, pre-snap reads, passing route progressions, hot routes, timing, blitz adjustments and even stuff like clock management.

I wonder if the overall effect of this might be an overall higher football IQ for players and for QB's in particular? I think it's plausible and don't see how it's tremendously different than the film study that teams have always used, minus the AI deficiencies and CPU cheese tactics endemic to the series that aren't realistic. Like, there's no "money plays" in the NFL of course but basics and fundamentals I feel can be learned from the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Beaten but, yeah, something else the article touched on was how more and more high school teams are running more sophisticated concepts as well which gives the players a chance to practice and learn a lot more things. When I was in HS, the offenses were insanely conservative and, if I had to guess, were probably at least 75% running plays. Even the few passes that were called were basic swing routes, curls and slants.

Kids playing now as QB's are given a lot more to do in a HS offense for the most part.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Lol "You know we'd only try to replace you with the best, baby"

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1504474308982173701

So...Mayfield to the Colts maybe?

Good. gently caress him and whoever signs him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I hope not, if they're not getting Watson then the asking price would probably be more than I'd want the Colts to pay

What would you think? I can't see a first rounder anywhere in this equation. Maybe a #2 and like a #4 next year? I doubt the price for Baker is all that high and right now the Colts are almost entirely being held down by their QB play. Bridgewater might have made some sense there and now...? Jimmy G? Winston might work. Some draft picks for Minshew?

They're running out of options.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Play posted:

They should go for Jimmy. He's an expert at handing the ball off and I actually think he would give better results than Wentz passing as well.

They should also draft a QB if there's anyone they like at all.

JG makes sense since Indy is pretty solid everywhere else except, like Carson, he still has mistake prone tendencies. When was the last time the Colts had a dual threat QB? One who could make plays with his legs? Because I keep hoping someone will take a flyer on Kap for about 50 reasons. I started to write a list of dudes who suck out loud that are still in the league I but it was too long. I know it doesn't mean anything but here's a video of his workout:

https://deadspin.com/colin-kaepernick-s-still-got-it-in-his-workout-videos-1848661638

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I wouldn't mind the Colts going after him for the right price, and I like that more starting-quality QBs on the trade market will likely drive the price down for Jimmy G or Matt Ryan

Same.

For whatever reason, I think Mayfield still has a slight untapped upside and, in any case, I find him fun to watch play.

Thing with him though is that you can't use the usual excuses for his lack of development on things like not having good WR's, lacking a running game to lean on, a lovely o-line or even a poor defense to blame. You can cite the fact that he's in loving Cleveland, he's had bad coaching and the Browns rarely know wtf they're doing but I don't think anyone can say that Baker has lacked a supporting cast.

He strikes me as one of those players with some slight head/ego problems as opposed to a player who simply hasn't been given a chance or who constantly works without any help. Cleveland's o-line has been mostly OK, right ( I haven't looked it up)? He strikes me as one of those dudes where a change of scenery and the right coach might up his game but, at the same time, it's starting to look pretty clear that his upside might still be something like Kirk Cousins as opposed to...I dunno...Justin Herbert or someone.

He's solidly middle tier at a minimum I think for whatever that's worth. If you were Pittsburgh, would you rather have him or Trubisky? Mayfield might make sense for Carolina if they lose out on the rapist QB sweepstakes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Welp, Mayfield is available now. He'd make sense for Indy but I'd just love to see Kap get another shot somewhere. If I'm Irsay, I sign them both and sell a million jerseys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

syzpid posted:

Kaep had almost the exact same numbers as Garoppola did, if not better, in his last 6 games with the 49ers as Jimmy G did in the next season in his 6 games with them. Jimmy got a crazy contract, Kaep hasn't been back in the league.

He also made it to the Super Bowl in his first half season as a starter and the NFC championship game the next year where they lost by 6 to a Seattle team that went 13-3 and beat the living Christ out of a Peyton Manning led Denver offense that looked loving unstoppable that season.

He also absolutely electrified the league with that playoff game against GB and became a national name. This was in one and a half years as a starter.

Any other (white) QB with these credentials would be labeled a "winner" who "gets things done" and just has to work on X, Y, Z or be put in the correct scheme with the right coach. They would have been given multiple chances to prove it again and again. Hell, there are known career washouts that have accomplished far less who keep getting looked at for their "untapped potential". Mike Glennon still has a job. Sam Darnold got traded last year for a lot. Flacco, Henne and Mason Rudolph are still in the league. Trubisky just got another shot at a starting job.

I know Kap struggled later on but the whole TEAM did and I have a real hard time believing the dude simply forgot how to play loving football all of a sudden. People act like he was playing himself out of the league already because SF was a disaster in 2014 and that nobody would want him. gently caress that. What happened to him was similar to what happened to Muahmmed Ali IMO and it's sad we'll never get to really know what he may have been able to do in his prime had he been given a shot to work on his game.

But he looked pretty loving good to me for a while.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dude seemed like he could play pretty well to me from what I saw. I'm hard pressed to name a QB with 18 or 20 games under his belt who went to the Big Dance as well as an NCF championship game within that span where he lost by 6 points to the best team in football and held his own as basically a rookie against the Ravens in his one Super Bowl appearance. Was all that a fluke? Give me a loving break.

I suppose it's far to say he needed to work on parts of his game but who the gently caress doesn't?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ryan's looking kind of close to being washed up but SF would be a decent fit - Indy too I guess.

Not sure why or how ATL would move on from him though unless they're gonna roll the dice with one the QB's in the draft and none of those guys look ready.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

So what division is going to have the worst group of QBs?

NFC East

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sataere posted:

Considering how raw Lance was coming out, I'm not sure this is true. It isn't like holding a clipboard is the only thing he'll be doing. An extra year being patient isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things if you think you can truly develop him into an athletic monster. Those extra years had a significant impact of Rodgers development. Just because guys are ready earlier doesn't mean you shouldn't be flexible when an outlier comes along.

There's also the fact that some QB's are more NFL ready than others along with considering the teams they play for.

The 49ers are still in a window, even with with Jimmy and the team they have now, so loving around with a project is more risky. They have more to lose and can also afford to be more patient They know what they have at least, which is a SB contending team. Buffalo (and teams like the Jets and Jacksonville right now) weren't really risking all that much by saying gently caress it let's see what the kid can do and have the luxury of on the job training since they aren't going anywhere anyhow.

If Lance had wound up in Detroit, Carolina or Washington then you kind of figure why the gently caress not but SF is very competitive. Run him out too soon and you might waste a year or, worse, ruin the kid's confidence or get him hurt.

Kalli posted:

Real talk: The Washington Football Team should offer the Browns a 6th or whatever to take Baker off their hands.

He's better then Wentz.

Bonus option. Bring in Nick Foles as a backup.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 24, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't think anyone said to never start a young project QB unless you're totally sure about him, at least that I read. People were just pointing out why some teams are willing to take the gamble and why sometimes it's worth the risk depending on the team's situation. Like, if you're Houston this year, why the gently caress not throw Malik Willis out there if you wind up with him? When Buffalo drafted Josh Allen, they were poo poo so, sure, trot him on out.

If you're in a spot like, say, Miami or Pittsburgh and you wind up with Kenny Pickett, do you rush him out there before seeing if Trubiski has something or Tua can be made into something viable? You CAN gently caress a guy up early if you push him too hard. RG3 looked like a world beater for a full season.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

This happened to the Colts last year too, they overpaid for Wentz early when better, cheaper options would've become available down the line. Must be something about Carson that just makes you feel like you've gotta have him.

He's really weird because there's pretty much no other QB in NFL history with his broken and erratic career trajectory.

Drafted in the top 2, looked OK as a rookie, blossomed and became an MVP candidate on a team that won the SB and then just...lost it. Fell off a loving cliff like that. It's really bizarre and there's no real legitimate comparison, at least that I can think of. Usually when a highly drafted QB flames out, it's obvious from the get go. Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Jamarcus Russell and dudes like that. RG3 got hurt and was never the same but he's the closest thing I can think of. QB's don't usually have this gradual upwards trajectory, become stars and then just completely poo poo the bed like he has.

Wentz honestly looked like The Answer at QB for Philly heading into the next 10 years at one point. I guess there's always going to be a team that thinks if he did it in 2017, he can do it again and convinces themselves that he can recapture that magic but there's obviously something broken about him in the head and nobody seems to like the loving guy.

He reminds me of a couple NBA players that suddenly forgot how to shoot or a few MLB guys that got the yips and couldn't pitch a strike or make a throw to first. Except with Carson it's becoming more and more clear he's just got assholitis not a loss of ability. He's a little like Ben Simmons in a way.

Washington is perfect for him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

fsif posted:

My kingdom for the impossible scenario where Mayfield outplays Watson.

He outplayed him last year

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Sataere posted:

there aren't enough rear end in a top hat quarterbacks.

citation needed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So what are these rumors about Brady getting traded to Miami?

edit link

https://deadspin.com/are-the-bucs-really-trading-tom-brady-to-the-dolphins-1848706123

Sounds like bullshit

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 26, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There's worse problems to have than a dynamic, raw young talent waiting in the wings to take the reins and a guy that you know for a fact CAN take you the NFCCG as well as the Super Bowl. A lot of teams would kill to have San Francisco's "quarterback problem" and they're smart to wait and hold their cards if they're not sure Lance is good to go yet. Several competitive teams are certain to have injuries at the position as the season unfolds so, by then, JG's value goes up and it gives the 49ers some time to further evaluate Lance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They made it to the NFCCG despite Jimmy G. He played like poorly most of the playoffs. Especially against Green Bay.

True. I mean, I know he's holding them back a notch but he's been to the big dance once where they gave KC all they wanted and came really close last year against the eventual champs. There's no guarantee right now that Lance puts them over the hump so holding your cards makes sense for SF, at least to me. Jimmy's not god awful and has some strengths to go with his shortcomings but you can't ride him and he's not going to carry a team, obviously. No one sees him as a game changer.

But let's consider a contending team this season. I dunno...maybe SD starts out hot and Herbert goes down. Trubisky washes out in PITT or breaks his leg. The Raiders come out strong but Carr tears his ACL. Burrow injures his throwing hand in week 2. Watson gets...Watson'd and CLE is playing well. Suddenly the market for a guy like Jimmy goes up. It seems obvious right now that no one is real hot to acquire him but that can change real fast.

It's not like SF is in the same situation as NYJ, JAX, CHI or a lot of other teams that have legit concerns about QB play and are forced to play the young guys/hope and pray. They're a top tier team in a really competitive division that were a dropped INT away from their 2nd Super Bowl appearance in 3 years.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That's all entirely fair criticism tbh.

No one on this god's green earth is suggesting he's a game changer or even really a difference maker. The 49ers whole decision making process comes down to "can this dude who's played like 20 actual games of loving football in North Dakota bump us up a notch?" And I'm not saying he can't but they already know they're in contention if they just stand pat so keeping them both until the kid proves he can live up to the #3 pick you spent on him makes sense to me.

What if they go all in and Lance totally busts? I guess they can grab Mayfield or something but if you're SF, why not just wait and hold those cards?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins got hit by a truck while trying to cross a freeway and died.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So weird though. The gently caress was he trying to run across a highway for? Did his car break down or some poo poo?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

He was involved in a different accident and got out, based on initial reports

That's kind of what I what figured. Man, would have been nice to at least see him get a shot and Pittsburgh's situation might have given him a decent chance competing against Trubisky and Rudolph after he escaped the Washington hell hole and with the Steelers' situation more or less wide open. God drat, loving 24 years old.

I don't know if he could play or not but PITT seems like an OK fit/shot for him at least. loving sucks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, I mean he's not wrong

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What/where the hell would be a good fit for Baker anyway?

I think he'd be better for WAS than Wentz but then he's arguably in a worse organization than CLE. He just kind of wound up being the last QB standing in duck, duck goose. He might work for DET but, again, another horrible franchise. IND would have made some sense.

Right now I don't see a loving home for him - at least until a contending team's starter's leg explodes. What about a team like Seattle maybe that needs a placeholder and has nothing to lose? Would he take back up money to sign with Chicago as an insurance policy in case Fields flames out? The Giants? I'm seriously drawing a blank here and I think he has proven starting talent at least. If Dak Prescott got hurt in week 10 and Dallas was contending I could picture Jerry bringing him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

indigi posted:

Baker is Stafford tier where if he’s in a good situation he can win some playoff games otherwise don’t bother

I don't think he's proven that yet. Come on.

Simplex posted:

The Giants, Texans and Panthers make the most sense to me, but they all seem like they are committed to the bad QB they already have in house.

There's no way he gets traded to Pittsburgh. I'm not sure he's a clear upgrade on Mariotta in Atlanta. Detroit doesn't make any sense cap wise. I don't know why Seattle would give a bunch of money to Baker in an extension that they didn't want to pay Russell.

I didn't think about those teams. Carolina would make a world of sense. I don't think the Texans are serious about doing anything and I guess we can assume the same about Seattle who seems intent on tanking in a division they have no prayer of winning. PITT tragically lost a back up QB so that might make sense as an insurance policy against Trubisky. I think Mayfield is a proven middle tier starter at least with some possibly untapped upside. There's just not a lot of teams left after all the dust settled that seem be a good opportunity or that have a need for him.

Panthers is a good call though. Is Baker really gonna cost a ton of money?