Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Thoom posted:

99%. Just one chest and (somehow) 2 secrets to go. Edit: 100% at 15h23m. Missing one secret, but I'm just going to assume that's a missed trigger. Edit 2: It was not.

I'm looking forward to looking up some puzzle solutions when I'm all done, because there are a few that I definitely didn't solve the intended way.

For example, this one:

I tried painting a keycard purple at the bank and hauling it all the way over, but the rings didn't accept it, and I didn't really want to spend hours ferrying one purple object across the map at a time. I'm not even sure how the purple gun upgrade could play into it.

My cheese solution: hover in a certain spot to drop a force cube toward the lower ring, and then as soon as it went through, respawn it above the upper rings.

We had the same idea! Except I did myself. Turned myself purple, put a laser to hold a force cube over the single ring, and fell through the other two while deactivating the laser. I don't know if water washes off the paint like it does the smells, but I made it the whole way through from the paint station without going under or in any water.

And I must have walked right past the item I'm missing to get the upgrade. Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kaboobi posted:

I was able to get into that room by dropping a force cube from very high up on the two rings and immediately dropping down and preloading another one to drop on the single ring. It was hacky but it worked but definitely not intended.

I did the same. The timing is tough, but just barely doable. Didn't even think there was an alternate solution. Can someone describe me what this alternate way does?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

I did the same. The timing is tough, but just barely doable. Didn't even think there was an alternate solution. Can someone describe me what this alternate way does?

I assumed with the Elastic Laser you could bounce a cube off from one ring to collide over to the others.

I posted my own solution above. It worked! I did not have the ability it was trying to gatekeep

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Should I pick up the Crash DLC, or just go on to Six Inches Under?

I think they're all worth playing. After you play either you're gonna wish you had another, might as well go in order.

Kaboobi posted:

I was able to get into that room by dropping a force cube from very high up on the two rings and immediately dropping down and preloading another one to drop on the single ring. It was hacky but it worked but definitely not intended.

It was all in the same place, I'd go check again?

I did what I assumed was intended but looking back, maybe not. I used force beam to connect to the wood planks near the one and two-ring setups. I spawned a cube on top of the force beam, while I'm hovering above the two. I drop the force beam so cube falls into hole (wonky pain the rear end actually, not sure why I thought it was intended), then immediately spawn cube above the two so it falls through em in time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm playing the original. It's pretty great!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I'm playing the original as well, and I think I got to a point in the blue village that I don't know how to progress at all: I bought the triple jump back, and now I'm in the walled-off part where the two dudes are running around a tree. There's a door with a lock on it, the key is in a house that seems only accessible from a chimney that I have no way to get in. And seems like I also can't get back to the other side now? There was nothing to do here, other than collecting a coin on the roof. I tried to block the guys from running, but that does nothing. Any hints for this?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

grate deceiver posted:

I'm playing the original as well, and I think I got to a point in the blue village that I don't know how to progress at all: I bought the triple jump back, and now I'm in the walled-off part where the two dudes are running around a tree. There's a door with a lock on it, the key is in a house that seems only accessible from a chimney that I have no way to get in. And seems like I also can't get back to the other side now? There was nothing to do here, other than collecting a coin on the roof. I tried to block the guys from running, but that does nothing. Any hints for this?

There's somewhere you can get up to and walk to where you need to go next

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Duhh, that was right in front me...

Thanks!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Thoom posted:

Absolutely do not stress about completionism until postgame. That is the one thing I wish someone had told me before I started the original.

My completionism drive changed after the early game where it went from big room full of small puzzles to 1 or 2 big puzzles per room. I’ll just return after I have all the upgrades.

I just did a room shortly after getting the force beam where I managed to skip the solution. There’s a crate in a glass room with slow moving platforms on either side. I skipped grabbing the crate entirely. Then I went back to try again and blasted the crate out the hole with no idea how I did it. I think I need to go back again because I’m afraid it was teaching me a lesson about beams and glass I might need later.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think the point of that is to attach the beam between the two moving platforms and they will drag the box out of the glass room.

But it's incredibly easy to get inside and just grab it - there's a wooden beam on the roof that you can attach yourself and grapple hook inside

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I just beat the last boss of the first game after ~16 hours and at 92% or so, and lmao, what is that credits song. Gave me some real Toy Story vibes.
Well, the music, not so much the lyrics, which are about a dude lamenting that his pimped out bat mobile and his artisanal pasta colander don't bring all the girls to the yard, lol.

I gotta say, despite being from a German dev, the German uuh... "translation" is pretty bad. Unnatural and stilted lines, some tutorials are half in English like "1. spawn cube 2. beam verbinden 3. hochlaufen", not to mention lots of mechanical terms like "coin shop" and "blue ville" still being in English, and then there's

font issues with non-ascii characters.

edit: enjoyed most of the game, but grapple-slinging myself up the wooden sword was one of the most aggravating gaming experiences i've experienced in like the last decade

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Grapple-slinging always knots my stomach up in the most unpleasant way. There's a part in Six Inches where I did it, kept messing up, then finally got to where I was trying to and there was nothing there, you were never meant to bother.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Khanstant posted:

Grapple-slinging always knots my stomach up in the most unpleasant way. There's a part in Six Inches where I did it, kept messing up, then finally got to where I was trying to and there was nothing there, you were never meant to bother.

Was it the giant roots above cage town? I also did that and was disappointed, but also aggravated because some parts don't actually exist as collision!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, for a game about secrets, there are a few hard to get area that are just empty. Like the overturned bucket near the red crystal is a pretty obvious one, but there's nothing there. If you explore the surrounding area, you can actually glitch yourself out of the world.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
In 6IU there were even a few hard to get places with long corridors attached that were just empty, which at times felt like a strange oversight. Unless I missed something, which is entirely possible, I didn't have the chest finder yet for one of them. But I did check all the walls for mining spots, I dunno.

Also talking about grappling, I distinctly remember doing it somewhat frequently in Supraland classic way back when, but I've pulled it off maybe once in 6IU, is it harder now or am I just worse?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

There’s a lot less open areas with wood to climb in 6IU, which is fine with me

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just bought the last upgrade in the original (holy cow does that break the traversal mechanics!) and I still have 14 chests to find. But I've been going all over the map, especially up in high areas, and I don't even get a beep from my detector anymore. Are they really just that well-hidden?

I'm also missing one dead adventurer and have no idea where to look.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think I need another hint - the second green moon is in a house with no doors, one window, and no cracks to shoot a teleporter through. No underground entry either, as far as I can tell. Unless that's not the right location at all?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I have 100%'d every Supraland game and even I'm not sure how I did it. If I could give any advice, it would be to check for any anomalous green pipes, you can shoot a teleport orb into them and sometimes they have a unique area on the other side with a chest.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

I think I need another hint - the second green moon is in a house with no doors, one window, and no cracks to shoot a teleporter through. No underground entry either, as far as I can tell. Unless that's not the right location at all?

Also playing OG and just did this. It’s tricky compared to the other moon.

Hint 1: the green light in the room is key.

Hint 2: actually there is underground entry

Full solution: go to the house next to it and drop underground. Inside, you’ll see the green light from the moon room glowing above you. Use the buckle and teleport gun to get up and through.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

Also playing OG and just did this. It’s tricky compared to the other moon.

Hint 1: the green light in the room is key.

Hint 2: actually there is underground entry

Full solution: go to the house next to it and drop underground. Inside, you’ll see the green light from the moon room glowing above you. Use the buckle and teleport gun to get up and through.

Thank you!

This was kinda annoying with how the crack in the floor is not visible from the window. Since I already grabbed the other moon and also a secret chest from the underground passage, I didn't even think to go back there.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I finally reached the heart room and beat it. I was hoping to have a short area after it, but I'll settle for some upgrades.

I'm kind of at a loss for where else I can possibly go? I've been to the surface, I've been through the lava area, I've been to outside the map area where you change colors, I have the chest finder and bone finder. I'm at 75% total for chests, so I feel like there's a few puzzle areas I haven't found yet, but... where? I can't be missing a quarter of chests in the game from just missing ones hidden in a nook or cranny that I've walked by, and I really would like another series of puzzles. Am I wrong?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It might be worth checking some of the item shops again. There's a chest finder range upgrade that appears some time after you buy the chest finder, I don't know what the exact trigger is. If you've finished the area with the trophies, then I think you've seen every major puzzle zone in the game.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Bought the game.
99%ed the game.
171/172 chests.
No beeping anywhere at all, and it's none of the popular chests to miss, plus my weapon stats are maxed so I can't even use that to narrow it down.
And what's even better is that a bunch of chest locations changed in a recent patch, so even if I follow a 2 hour guide to every chest in the game there's no guarantees.

Had a blast though, felt like a more accessible Talos Principle.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I hit the credits! At... 43%.

Is there somewhere I should ensure I complete first? Especially if it unlocks something that is required to solve puzzles.

I started by cleaning out red town and wiping out the enemy horde in the back but the reward wasn't particularly useful yet since I can only break wood crosses. Then I immediately picked up gun upgrades that would have made that easier had I collected them first. I'm at 50% now I think.

Some tasks I know I need to figure out:

1. there's red moons. I have one but I don't know where it goes.
2. I don't see a use for the flies in red town, but I remember seeing a giant carrot somewhere and assume I need to drag the flies through the first few areas since there's tons of wood.
3. I'm still missing a couple of barrels
4. There's a 143 star door and I'm nowhere close yet
5. There's a chest on top of the sword!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Huge Manatee posted:

Bought the game.
99%ed the game.
171/172 chests.
No beeping anywhere at all, and it's none of the popular chests to miss, plus my weapon stats are maxed so I can't even use that to narrow it down.
And what's even better is that a bunch of chest locations changed in a recent patch, so even if I follow a 2 hour guide to every chest in the game there's no guarantees.

Had a blast though, felt like a more accessible Talos Principle.

Assuming you're talking about the original, here are a few places to try:

- The huge, water-filled cavern behind the blue castle. Look for "impassible" water and multicolored crystals at the far end.

- Both of the cooking pots up high. One at the end of the rainbow, the other on a high, flat area that you need the Happiness upgrade to get to.

- The giant wooden sword in one of the boss fight pits -- if you're one chest short you probably got these, but there are three here in all.

- The yellow sprinkler pipe that goes up to a bucket laying on its side. This one is tricky, but once you're close enough your detector will beep and you can figure it out from there.

- All over Carrot Town and the castle area next to it.

I just hit 100% in the first game. I was missing four chests and over a dozen graves, and then I realized I'd never re-checked the Carrot Town area after getting all my upgrades. Turned out everything was there, or in the blocky castle area next to it.

I don't see a way to get the Crash DLC added to my Game Pass copy, so it's on to Six Inches Under next!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

I hit the credits! At... 43%.

Is there somewhere I should ensure I complete first? Especially if it unlocks something that is required to solve puzzles.

I started by cleaning out red town and wiping out the enemy horde in the back but the reward wasn't particularly useful yet since I can only break wood crosses. Then I immediately picked up gun upgrades that would have made that easier had I collected them first. I'm at 50% now I think.

Some tasks I know I need to figure out:

1. there's red moons. I have one but I don't know where it goes.
2. I don't see a use for the flies in red town, but I remember seeing a giant carrot somewhere and assume I need to drag the flies through the first few areas since there's tons of wood.
3. I'm still missing a couple of barrels
4. There's a 143 star door and I'm nowhere close yet
5. There's a chest on top of the sword!

Just finished as well at 61%. I think the big thing to aim for is getting enough gun damage to melt those steel beams with alt-fire.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

Assuming you're talking about the original, here are a few places to try:

I've definitely cleared the first four locations there, and both the town and castle are empty. I suspect it's an out of bounds one, or one that's buried deep enough somewhere that cruising past at high speed doesn't get you close enough.

Edit: Found it on my latest trip around the bounds of the map behind the blue crystal.

I've definitely been past there before without a beep, because holy poo poo the loving chest detector turns itself off every time you boot the game.

The Huge Manatee fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 26, 2022

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The lead dev put up an interesting article: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1522870/view/3092285258431633654
https://twitter.com/SupraGamesUG/status/1486128106809315329

He kinda throws the team under a bus at the start? Not a fan of that. I do agree though that the game suffers from being expanded to a standalone scope instead of DLC. And very much that being locked inside a cave kills the sense of interconnectivity the first game's world had which was so special, and hampers the exploration in general. He really goes into a lot of detail about what was wrong with the game but very little about what was good so I hope he isn't demoralized.

Hopefully they take the lessons learned and make Supraworld something even more amazing.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

Just finished as well at 61%. I think the big thing to aim for is getting enough gun damage to melt those steel beams with alt-fire.

I think you're right but I'm around 70% and have only found 2 of those upgrades so I'm basically wandering at random hoping I stumble upon the rest while finding all these steel beams I can't break. Getting close to this being the first time I google something.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Swilo posted:

He kinda throws the team under a bus at the start? Not a fan of that. I do agree though that the game suffers from being expanded to a standalone scope instead of DLC. And very much that being locked inside a cave kills the sense of interconnectivity the first game's world had which was so special, and hampers the exploration in general. He really goes into a lot of detail about what was wrong with the game but very little about what was good so I hope he isn't demoralized.

Hopefully they take the lessons learned and make Supraworld something even more amazing.

Theyre also laser-accurate about the flaws of the game (early credits hamper motivation which is something I personally experienced, cagetown being boring, a lot of secrets being kind of tedious and pointless, etc). As an open-world exploration game, it is legitimately worse than Supraland, but its significantly better as a puzzle game which is something thats easy to miss when youre embroiled in design improvements

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Stumbled on the demo of Six Inches last week and since then bought all 3 games. 100%ed Supraland, like 99% on Crash, and I think I might just be okay with 80% or whatever I'm at now in Six. Backtracking to explore every little nook and cranny is harder in Crash/SIU because even at the end you aren't just running around on the edge of the skybox at super speed. Plus there's no chest detector??

Great games though. Wish there was more.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm about 20% into Six Inches Under now, and so far I think I enjoyed the original more. The open world (literal) sandbox was much easier to navigate, even if it meant not always knowing where to go next. If I couldn't figure something out in the original, there were always lots of other places to check out. And the endgame traversal felt spectacular, especially since you could see most points of interest on the horizon from anywhere.

SIU seems much more linear, and the puzzles tend to be more sectioned off. It'll often drop you into a small area with no way to exit until you've solved that particular puzzle. And you still don't always know where to go next - for example, getting to the second level in Cage Town requires you to leave for quite a while and come back with upgrades later, even though the objective text hints that you'll find everything you need in the current area.

I'm enjoying SIU, and I'm sure I'll finish it, but it doesn't hold the wonder for me that the first game did.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Swilo posted:

Was it the giant roots above cage town? I also did that and was disappointed, but also aggravated because some parts don't actually exist as collision!

No, I got up there via translocator-electro shenanigans via the pre-beach area where you later get canon shot through. Pain in the rear end and jackshit of note up there. I wish he had a kind of thing to put in areas nobody should ever go, but will always try to get. Don't hide anything worth seeking there, but put a little sign like "oh hey i see you, go away tho this area mad boring but you'd be pissed if I blocked it off with invisible walls and you know it."

The part I'm talkin bout was in the post-game area, both sides of the border are wood and there's no reason to ever grapple on it, and you have to do the frantic tricks to get vertical and horizontal. Not worth doing, nothing up there and even one ledge and rock area you'd think they'd let you land on is totally unstandable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Swilo posted:

The lead dev put up an interesting article: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1522870/view/3092285258431633654
https://twitter.com/SupraGamesUG/status/1486128106809315329

This is a great write-up. I took the intro as more of him recognizing his faults as a project leader and delegation and division of labour. Working with at eam has got to be as much a learning process for him as was making his first games. Also having read their self-critical analysis before this is kind of how he thinks and speaks candidly about stuff, seems a bit harsh, but he's usually right on the money or getting there for himself. This gives me a lot of hope for Supraworld. I liked SIU much more than him and he's pointing out things I personally didn't have a problem with, but he and others did and it otherwise doesn't fit his general philosophy of design.

I think the new look with UE5 will be great too, a lot of the giant-object tiny-player stuff seems like it'll all mesh together better with some increased baseline realism seen in the previews. More ways to hide an integrate puzzle elements into the environment so you don't notice them until you connect some dots with a power later one and suddenly like zippers on random suitcases are suddenly new traversal and exploration aveneues.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Anyone have recommendations for other games like these?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I would dare say "The Witness", but that's not really a fair comparison. Maybe the Ittle Dew series? It's similar in some ways to games like legend of zelda, but the magic stuff you get and how they interact is sublime.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 27, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

drunken officeparty posted:

Anyone have recommendations for other games like these?
One of my all-time favorites is The Talos Principle. Similar first-person traversal-based puzzle solving -- your character doesn't get upgrades, but as you progress through the game, the individual puzzles have more mechanics and toys to play with.

Other fun traversal-based games include the Portal series, The Pedestrian, Gorogoa, and The Turing Test.

As mentioned, The Witness is excellent, but it's not really the same kind of gameplay. It's very puzzle-heavy, and also there's... more than the puzzles that I can't really say without spoiling the entire game.

And of course, classic Metroidvania games, like... well... Metroid and Castlevania. And some more recent ones like Shadow Complex, Hollow Knight, or Steamworld Dig 2.

We have an entire puzzle game thread where you can pick up lots of great recommendations!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Playing these a bit out of order since I started with SIU and then played the original, but now I just got to the part in Crash where (spoiler for all 3) you run into the PC from SIU in the jail in the banking district
I'm not sure which way this reveal works better but now I wonder if the other one is in it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
On the subject, I'd like to mention sort of an odditiy regarding the Crash DLC and Six Inches Under, but I don't think it counts as a spoiler since It's not entirely consequential for either game.

Okay so there is a part of both games (an off to the side easter egg) where you can see eachothers character behind a pane of indestructable glass, on either side of the glass we see items that would be useful to have, but are completely unreachable by either character who could use them. This easter egg started in the Crash DLC, but Six Inches under had been in development for so long that the original intention of that easter egg no longer makes any sense. During the development of Six Inches Under they seriously de-emphasized the importance of mining, in an early version of Six Inches Under, the game required you to mine for Ores and gems in order to progress. They decided that gathering all of these ores was not very fun, so you never see these ores or gems in the final version. So what the red prince has on his side of the glass is essentially a time capsule of a much earlier stage in development, they may in fact have updated the Crash DLC's side since then, but I don't want to download the whole thing again just to check.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 27, 2022