Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, they definitely know the player by now, I was around that figure as well.

I knew I needed to go back and do a big sweep with all my upgrades, but I had played slow and thoroughly up to that point but got to the point of no return naturally without a chance to go back and clean-up. Even so, was not expect nearly 50 undiscovered chests, I was skeptical they could even pack that many into the maps at that point. Had I gone back and done a last-pass, I know I would've found some of them, mainly ones I'd seen before but hadn't the tools to get yet... but that chest detector showed me at least 25 chests I would've never found without knowing it;s in the area. Not a complaint at all, that's good chest hiding. I also remember three distinct times I'd look up and see some crevice and think "hmm maybe something hiding up there" but then can't immediately easily get in or get distracted and hours later... yup! Totally poo poo hiding there damnit.

Six Inches Under might be my fav but hard to tell with recency bias. I also loved Crash, my big fault with Crash is I never found one of the Waldos and I think I'd have to start over to be able to get another chance to get the achievement. Otherwise it was a great twist on things for the player who just finished Supraland and weren't sure how they'd make it interesting again with the same stuff.

What was your most shameful moment in Six Inches Under? I have two.

First, I resorted to asking for a hint on the steam boards on a puzzle I was pretty close to solving, but I seriously was driven insane by the ooooooommmmm which has been lowered in volume. At the time the puzzle required listening to and timing by it, but the noise was just intrusive making it hard to think straight. Oddly on it's own I like that sort of noise, just not when I'm trying to think through several steps of actio in my head.

Two, spent a fuckin hour at this bone pillar that teased me "you can solve this puzzle now but you're not clever enough for it." It was right. I got close once, trying to smack myself with the extension pole, but ultimately I gave up and only came back later when I remembered an exploit/trick from Crash/Supraland with Translocator that still worked and got myself up that way. You need the proper trick later for something you can't get the same cheesy way, where I finally learned the surprisingly simple knack to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fire the fire gun... literally one of the last 5 or 6 things I found in the entire game. I'm only have 1 chest left to find at this point with no clue where it is. Not ping or anything.

Kaboobi posted:

2) Getting across the giant gap behind the crystal while leaving your translocator ball by bringing up the umbrella and floating across

LMAO had no idea umbrella had the classic videogame umbrella power, never tried because fall damage doesn't exist and I love the rush of a big fall. I assumed the intended path was the same trick as before but your lateral twist is better imo.

Thoom posted:

3) I found a beating crystal heart with a zero under it, which feels like maybe a reference to Slay the Spire. When I hit it with my pickaxe, it spawns a wave of enemies, but some of them are on a platform that I can't reach. I managed to whittle it down to just one by taking potshots with the fire gun, but the last guy seemed impossible to reach so I'm guessing that maybe I need the 2x teleporter force upgrade to make it up there. I'm not sure I'm even supposed to be there yet, because I don't think I solved the puzzle to open the room in the intended way.

Someone already gave you the right hints and I loved this puzzle for being genuinely unique in the series. However if you just like being a stinker doing things the wrong way, you can use the translocator/lightning tricks to get up to the other levels of enemies.

If you don't know about that mechanical quirk, and the game never expects you to and I'm half surprised they left it in at all, but basically shoot your green orb upward, immediately switch to lextrix gun and start zapping, it'll push the ball ever upward. Just make sure you don't run out of juice b/c recharge takes too long, and that you're quick with your fingers to swap back to green orb and teleport, immediately move forward/back enough to land where you intend above. I did use this trick for the last few chest hunts and because I didn't get the 2x upgrade until nearly 100% anyway. The trick can easily get you almost anywhere though, I think I reached the invisible ceiling in most maps at least once.

Thoom posted:

I have to say this is one of the rare Supraland puzzles I don't particularly care for, for two reasons: First, the pressure plate in the room only responds to the lump of coal for some reason I'm not clear on, since I'm pretty sure I or my force cube have operated plates with values higher than 350 before. Second, the teleport ball doesn't react to my own electricity, which was my first thought, the failure of which put me off that solution track. I think the ball should get visibly charged if you shoot it with the electric gun, but the NPC could say something like "that's good, but I want more".

OK, this is the new dumbest I've felt while playing Six Inches Under. The fact that the treant enemies were introduced alongside the Fire Redistributor was quite the red herring.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong puzzle, but wasn't that switch one of the round blue ones? Or there was another puzzle in that area where you needed to use a rock but they put it 2 feet from the switch so no biggie.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 20, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Should I pick up the Crash DLC, or just go on to Six Inches Under?

I think they're all worth playing. After you play either you're gonna wish you had another, might as well go in order.

Kaboobi posted:

I was able to get into that room by dropping a force cube from very high up on the two rings and immediately dropping down and preloading another one to drop on the single ring. It was hacky but it worked but definitely not intended.

It was all in the same place, I'd go check again?

I did what I assumed was intended but looking back, maybe not. I used force beam to connect to the wood planks near the one and two-ring setups. I spawned a cube on top of the force beam, while I'm hovering above the two. I drop the force beam so cube falls into hole (wonky pain the rear end actually, not sure why I thought it was intended), then immediately spawn cube above the two so it falls through em in time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Grapple-slinging always knots my stomach up in the most unpleasant way. There's a part in Six Inches where I did it, kept messing up, then finally got to where I was trying to and there was nothing there, you were never meant to bother.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Swilo posted:

Was it the giant roots above cage town? I also did that and was disappointed, but also aggravated because some parts don't actually exist as collision!

No, I got up there via translocator-electro shenanigans via the pre-beach area where you later get canon shot through. Pain in the rear end and jackshit of note up there. I wish he had a kind of thing to put in areas nobody should ever go, but will always try to get. Don't hide anything worth seeking there, but put a little sign like "oh hey i see you, go away tho this area mad boring but you'd be pissed if I blocked it off with invisible walls and you know it."

The part I'm talkin bout was in the post-game area, both sides of the border are wood and there's no reason to ever grapple on it, and you have to do the frantic tricks to get vertical and horizontal. Not worth doing, nothing up there and even one ledge and rock area you'd think they'd let you land on is totally unstandable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Swilo posted:

The lead dev put up an interesting article: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1522870/view/3092285258431633654
https://twitter.com/SupraGamesUG/status/1486128106809315329

He kinda throws the team under a bus at the start? Not a fan of that. I do agree though that the game suffers from being expanded to a standalone scope instead of DLC. And very much that being locked inside a cave kills the sense of interconnectivity the first game's world had which was so special, and hampers the exploration in general. He really goes into a lot of detail about what was wrong with the game but very little about what was good so I hope he isn't demoralized.

Hopefully they take the lessons learned and make Supraworld something even more amazing.

This is a great write-up. I took the intro as more of him recognizing his faults as a project leader and delegation and division of labour. Working with at eam has got to be as much a learning process for him as was making his first games. Also having read their self-critical analysis before this is kind of how he thinks and speaks candidly about stuff, seems a bit harsh, but he's usually right on the money or getting there for himself. This gives me a lot of hope for Supraworld. I liked SIU much more than him and he's pointing out things I personally didn't have a problem with, but he and others did and it otherwise doesn't fit his general philosophy of design.

I think the new look with UE5 will be great too, a lot of the giant-object tiny-player stuff seems like it'll all mesh together better with some increased baseline realism seen in the previews. More ways to hide an integrate puzzle elements into the environment so you don't notice them until you connect some dots with a power later one and suddenly like zippers on random suitcases are suddenly new traversal and exploration aveneues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tombot posted:

On the subject, I'd like to mention sort of an odditiy regarding the Crash DLC and Six Inches Under, but I don't think it counts as a spoiler since It's not entirely consequential for either game.

Okay so there is a part of both games (an off to the side easter egg) where you can see eachothers character behind a pane of indestructable glass, on either side of the glass we see items that would be useful to have, but are completely unreachable by either character who could use them. This easter egg started in the Crash DLC, but Six Inches under had been in development for so long that the original intention of that easter egg no longer makes any sense. During the development of Six Inches Under they seriously de-emphasized the importance of mining, in an early version of Six Inches Under, the game required you to mine for Ores and gems in order to progress. They decided that gathering all of these ores was not very fun, so you never see these ores or gems in the final version. So what the red prince has on his side of the glass is essentially a time capsule of a much earlier stage in development, they may in fact have updated the Crash DLC's side since then, but I don't want to download the whole thing again just to check.

I kind of figured those graphics were for the cut ores mentioned in the pre-release Steam posts. I was convinced we could get back there for some hidden stuff but never found a way. However if you get up to the glass real close, and angle your camera the right way you can see the red dude's model from the cutscene actually just floating up there. He leaves the scene or whatever but they don't move him up enough and is slightly visible.