Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm at 91% in Six Inches Under and I want to check if I'm doing something stupid: To deal with large bodies of lava, I've been dropping in a force cube, standing on it, dropping one further along the path, and taking advantage of coyote time to hop over before I fall in the lava. It was the first thing that came to mind when I got to the castle, so I've kind of just stuck with it, but it can't be the intended method, can it? On the other hand, why else would the force cube float in lava?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm now at 94% in SIU and slightly stuck. I've got three obvious avenues of progression:

1) I still have one bone pile left to find but I feel like I've canvassed every inch of the map and my bone sensor isn't reacting.

2) I found the post-game area with the trophy and the guy who keeps eating your teleporter, and now he wants it to be "more powerful"

3) I found a beating crystal heart with a zero under it, which feels like maybe a reference to Slay the Spire. When I hit it with my pickaxe, it spawns a wave of enemies, but some of them are on a platform that I can't reach. I managed to whittle it down to just one by taking potshots with the fire gun, but the last guy seemed impossible to reach so I'm guessing that maybe I need the 2x teleporter force upgrade to make it up there. I'm not sure I'm even supposed to be there yet, because I don't think I solved the puzzle to open the room in the intended way.

Are 2 and 3 blocked behind 1, the opposite, neither?

Khanstant posted:

What was your most shameful moment in Six Inches Under?

I didn't figure out how to start the race in the beach resort area until it was no longer relevant. I figured out that they wanted a battery explosion to make a loud sound, and I knew battery + fire = explosion, and there was a battery available and an unlit fire below a jump pad to stand on, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to light that fire. I probably spent a half hour trying to see if I could get my purple beam to conduct fire, or if garbage or flowers would stay lit long enough to carry a flame. Eventually I just climbed that last level of the tower using a magnet repel off the platform with the chest in the back. Only after completing the area did I notice the box of matches sitting on a platform in plain view.

That area also has what I consider to be one of the best subtle hints I've seen in any game. The two guys lounging at the campsite with the empty parasol stand prompted me to bring a parasol up to them, but they just thanked me. But then you ask yourself, "why did they make me bring a parasol to this elevated... ohhhhhhhhh.". That's "Mario 1-1 Goomba teaching you about question blocks" level stuff.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Thanks! I guess I'll work on 2/3 and see if that doesn't unblock me on 1 for the reason you mentioned.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

I have to say this is one of the rare Supraland puzzles I don't particularly care for, for two reasons: First, the pressure plate in the room only responds to the lump of coal for some reason I'm not clear on, since I'm pretty sure I or my force cube have operated plates with values higher than 350 before. Second, the teleport ball doesn't react to my own electricity, which was my first thought, the failure of which put me off that solution track. I think the ball should get visibly charged if you shoot it with the electric gun, but the NPC could say something like "that's good, but I want more".

quote:

3. some enemies have metal or wood parts

OK, this is the new dumbest I've felt while playing Six Inches Under. The fact that the treant enemies were introduced alongside the Fire Redistributor was quite the red herring.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Swilo posted:

For the first: that's where a particular variation of the mechanic is introduced, but the idea is utilized earlier and elsewhere. The button is gray because it can only be activated by the rock. Red is anything, blue is person. iirc the cube weighs 400 and the player is 99.

I think everywhere else in the game there's some physical reason why the wrong object won't activate the button. The blue ones have a lip that the force cube rests on and can't push the button. The purple ones can't be activated by the player because they don't weigh enough and aren't in the vicinity of heavier objects. The grey button just has a magic coal detector I guess? All they really had to do was make it 500 so that player + cube only reached 499, like some of the Big rear end Buttons™ later in the base game. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if that gets patched in at some point.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Absolutely do not stress about completionism until postgame. That is the one thing I wish someone had told me before I started the original.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
99%. Just one chest and (somehow) 2 secrets to go. Edit: 100% at 15h23m. Missing one secret, but I'm just going to assume that's a missed trigger. Edit 2: It was not.

I'm looking forward to looking up some puzzle solutions when I'm all done, because there are a few that I definitely didn't solve the intended way.

For example, this one:

thecluckmeme posted:

That is a postgame puzzle that requires an upgrade from the third floor of cagetown. You can open it using some clever use of a postgame color puzzle from the opposite side of the map, but you can't complete it without a postgame upgrade to the purple gun

I tried painting a keycard purple at the bank and hauling it all the way over, but the rings didn't accept it, and I didn't really want to spend hours ferrying one purple object across the map at a time. I'm not even sure how the purple gun upgrade could play into it.

My cheese solution: hover in a certain spot to drop a force cube toward the lower ring, and then as soon as it went through, respawn it above the upper rings.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It might be worth checking some of the item shops again. There's a chest finder range upgrade that appears some time after you buy the chest finder, I don't know what the exact trigger is. If you've finished the area with the trophies, then I think you've seen every major puzzle zone in the game.