Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I love these games, the puzzles are very satisfying without being overly difficult or obtuse and the abundant secrets to find tucked away in every corner mean aimless exploration is seldom unrewarded.

People like to harp on the combat in the first one, but I never thought it was anything to complain about. It's pretty mindless and you can mix up the tools and weapons to hilarious effect which seemed appropriate for a puzzle game. The worst part was I missed the upgrade to break wooden crosses until post-game so I had to track down all the graves.

Got 100% in SIU tonight and only needed help with one secret (a rather large item that is not decorative), total time of 15 hours. Beat the game itself in around 7 and would have been happy if it ended there. If they could make one of these every 2-3 years I'd buy them all day one.

lih posted:

how much do people like Crash

I didn't get it because reactions seemed mixed at the time and even the dev admitted that the structure of it was an experiment that didn't really work as well as he'd hoped, but people have seemed a bit more positive on it more recently?

I liked it! The sour opinions are overblown because "omg you just replay the same map repeatedly lolol" but it does a great job of mixing up traversal and puzzles on each loop so it doesn't feel stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I think my biggest :dumb: was (post-game puzzle) getting the teleport orb to turn red. The metal balls react above lava but this needed to be submerged.

Thoom posted:

I have to say this is one of the rare Supraland puzzles I don't particularly care for, for two reasons: First, the pressure plate in the room only responds to the lump of coal for some reason I'm not clear on, since I'm pretty sure I or my force cube have operated plates with values higher than 350 before. Second, the teleport ball doesn't react to my own electricity, which was my first thought, the failure of which put me off that solution track. I think the ball should get visibly charged if you shoot it with the electric gun, but the NPC could say something like "that's good, but I want more".

For the first: that's where a particular variation of the mechanic is introduced, but the idea is utilized earlier and elsewhere. The button is gray because it can only be activated by the rock. Red is anything, blue is person. iirc the cube weighs 400 and the player is 99.
The second I kind of agree. It makes sense because nothing in the game can hold a charge as the gun is only a temporary burst, but the NPC could be a little more helpful in leading you to the solution.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Khanstant posted:

Grapple-slinging always knots my stomach up in the most unpleasant way. There's a part in Six Inches where I did it, kept messing up, then finally got to where I was trying to and there was nothing there, you were never meant to bother.

Was it the giant roots above cage town? I also did that and was disappointed, but also aggravated because some parts don't actually exist as collision!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
The lead dev put up an interesting article: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1522870/view/3092285258431633654
https://twitter.com/SupraGamesUG/status/1486128106809315329

He kinda throws the team under a bus at the start? Not a fan of that. I do agree though that the game suffers from being expanded to a standalone scope instead of DLC. And very much that being locked inside a cave kills the sense of interconnectivity the first game's world had which was so special, and hampers the exploration in general. He really goes into a lot of detail about what was wrong with the game but very little about what was good so I hope he isn't demoralized.

Hopefully they take the lessons learned and make Supraworld something even more amazing.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
New update for SIU: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1522870/view/4498534970348960579

quote:

Update V1.1.5485

There's a lot of new stuff in here by request from players!
- Added text speed option (speech bubbles can now be quicker or slower) 💬
- Added difficulty setting (besides the normal setting, you can make enemies not damage you at all, damage you very little or damage you twice as much) 👾
- Added skip option to credits scene if you've seen it before (Jump) ⏩
- Added dual-input-support option to key bindings options (allows you to use keyboard and controller at the same time) 🕹️
- Added new puzzle and cave to endgame area ➕
- Added two new major upgrades to the endgame area (one in a previously out of bounds area where you couldn't find anything, one in the new cave) 🌟
- Added hint speaker to 3-purple-rings puzzle and improved puzzle geometry 🟣
- Changed the way the elastic beam works (not requiring stomp anymore; holding crouch button while landing on it prevents bouncing)
- Fixed some invisible wall situations in endgame area 🧱
- Fixed hot metal ball damaging enemies properly ⚪
- Fixed a bunch of softlocks 🔒
- Fixed color rings to work properly with low FPS 👍🏻
- Fixed upgrade pickups to no longer tank FPS when they are on screen 🎞️
- Fixed 'TAB' button disabling your movement controls ⌨️
- Fixed two achievements not always triggering (Battery and Play With Fire) 🔋 🔥
- Detectors will now be less confusing (people thought they had the chest detector but didn't really
+ A whole lot of other little fixes and improvements everywhere ❤️

This is the last planned major update for Six Inches Under.
We'll still be doing hot-fixes if/when important bugs show up.

Supra development is switching over to Supraworld today!

edit: the new cave is in the white stone area in the post-game with the giant electromagnet, contains a battle arena and gives a double jump and the other addition is high up on the wood planks by the giant bucket
I guess the reward might be nice if you haven't already gotten everything else.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 1, 2022