Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Honestly, this show and Doom Patrol are in such a synchronous place in terms of tone and content that I wouldn't mind HBO soft-setting them in the same universe instead of The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker being in the sloppy DCEU.

They both do such a good job of dealing with "real poo poo, also people have super powers while full bore crazy comic book poo poo happens" instead of the milquetoast "super powers as metaphor for real poo poo and also comic book poo poo happens, but in a more 'realistic' way" that a lot of shows run with.

Peacemaker kinda feels halfway between Doom Patrol and The Tick.

Edit: Also, this episode made Adrian Chase start to feel like he really could go the way of his comic counterpart.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also next time I get bad fries at a Wendy's, I'm eating the whole motherfucker

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I do love that they established that Vigilante is an absolute monster against average mooks. He's not just cosplaying.

I hate how his leg armor doesn't match the rest of his costume.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I do love that they established that Vigilante is an absolute monster against average mooks. He's not just cosplaying.

Yeah, on the basis of his appearances before this, I just figured he was a very good shot but gently caress all use in an actual fight after Judomaster wiped the floor with him. But no, you really don't want to get on his bad side because he will gently caress you up effortlessly.

Kinda surprised at just how good the main cast are proving, honestly, really enjoying everyone so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

I wonder how much "troma" had to do with Freddy Stroma catching James Gunn's eye. The character was recast after the first guy had "creative differences"

I want to know what the gently caress leads to someone leaving / being fired from a show after shooting 5 and a half eps so then they have to recast the part and reshoot all those scenes.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, on the basis of his appearances before this, I just figured he was a very good shot but gently caress all use in an actual fight after Judomaster wiped the floor with him. But no, you really don't want to get on his bad side because he will gently caress you up effortlessly.

Kinda surprised at just how good the main cast are proving, honestly, really enjoying everyone so far.

I think it would have been better to show Vigilante beating up mooks in an earlier episode to a) establish he's a goof but also an actual hitter and b) establish what an actual martial arts beast Judomaster is when he first showed up. Seeing Vig handily beat the poo poo out of those inmates but then try to call time out on Judomaster and go home would have illustrated that Judomaster is a scary little gently caress.

Also, go to Nhut Le's Instagram at your own risk. Absolute thirst trap.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
As with all recasting stuff like this, I'm assuming there's more to this than just "Eh they wanted to go one way with it, I wanted to go another, so we did some recasting." That just seems like way too dramatic a step to take just because someone isn't giving you quite the take on the character you want. On the other hand, Gunn's got more than enough pull to get everyone involved on board if he thinks that's the right call to make creatively, so it's at least believable to me that it actually was just creative differences this go around.

Regardless, even if Gunn gave the boot to an actor who was doing a fine job simply because he was sure some other person could come in and do better, given how this final product is turning out I absolutely am on Gunn's side here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which guy is dancing in the credits though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

In all fairness, Judomaster was mopping the floor with Peacemaker too so to me at least it was more showing off more how much of a threat Judomaster was and less of the CQC competencies of those he beat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The timing of Leona shooting Judomaster... That and manipualting Vigilante into trying to kill Peacemaker's dad. Maybe she's not as innocent and incompetent as she seems.

At this point, everything is in question for her. There's basically a 50/50 chance every time that she's awkward or weird that it was actually on purpose to reinforce the illusion of her own inexperience and actual genuine inexperience. Waller, herself, says that her daughter has the skills and potential. In what, it isn't clear, but it's probably her ability to convince people of things and manipulate them, unknowingly or otherwise.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Didn't expect Peacemaker to make me think of Lucy Dacus, but dammit if the combo didn't make this episode hit a little harder than it would've by itself.

Song lyrics, but they're somewhat relevant to a plot point so masking for courtesy.

While you're going to sleep your mind keeps you awake
And it makes your heart beat fast and loud
There's nothing you can do but the only thing you found
Playing Slayer at full volume helps to block it out

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way if anyone was wondering why they keep joking about Economos' obviously dyed beard:

quote:

Steve Agee as John Economos:
An A.R.G.U.S. agent who provides tactical support for Project Butterfly.[15] Agee reluctantly dyed his beard when first portraying the character in The Suicide Squad, and was not happy to do so again for Peacemaker. This is acknowledged within the series as a running joke about his dyed beard.[14]
:v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because you know you want to watch it again

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1484329048197136388

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

I love how the tweet is all "yea gently caress Hawkeye!", wtf dude? I just want to see nazis get their poo poo pushed in.

Just need to say this, Jennifer Holland is in inhumanly good shape.

But holy poo poo both Doll Man and Matter Eater Lad are canon. Are they going to have the Red Bee or Funnyman show up next?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm surprised how much I like Vigilante. I figured it was gonna be just like another Deadpool take, and in some cases he is, but the actor is just amazing.

Really good series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming Judomaster was going to say that this isn't an invasion but more like a refugee crisis where the Butterflies are on the run from someone else.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming Judomaster was going to say that this isn't an invasion but more like a refugee crisis where the Butterflies are on the run from someone else.

:hmmyes: eagly

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Murn having to drive Vigilante’s Sebring back is one of those very funny things that isn’t technically a joke.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

what happened to the escaped gorilla on the news in his dad’s apartment? whither chekov’s great ape??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I like it.

I am gonna speculate that they are benevolent and friendly, but Amanda Waller wants them dead anyways because if everyone is happy this is bad for America or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mover posted:

what happened to the escaped gorilla on the news in his dad’s apartment? whither chekov’s great ape??

Could be one of several DC characters who are gorillas. Or it could just be a normal gorilla who shows up later to perform a comedic act of violence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know if I want to see John Cena fight a gorilla more than I want to see Judomaster fight a gorilla, but either way I am very, very excited.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like it.

I am gonna speculate that they are benevolent and friendly, but Amanda Waller wants them dead anyways because if everyone is happy this is bad for America or something.

Senator Butterfly seemed pretty dismissive of human empathy though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like it.

Note that every time the butterflies have tried to kill or torture someone so far it was out of defense. The blonde butterfly in the apartment read the dossier about assassinating butterflies, the senator just watched his whole family get murdered.

Hypocrisy posted:

Senator Butterfly seemed pretty dismissive of human empathy though.

That's also a standard torture/interrogation technique, acting like you're a remorseless killer with no feelings to psych them out. :coal:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Could be one of several DC characters who are gorillas. Or it could just be a normal gorilla who shows up later to perform a comedic act of violence.

We might be getting that Doom Patrol crossover sooner than we expected!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mover posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPgMO58qCQ

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
"There are gaps in the armor."

"What?"

"Your dad's White Dragon costume, right? There are weak points where the cloth is."

These lines do two things:

1. Subtly establish, in advance, that drspite all appearances, Adrian really is that good.

2. Tell me how Chris is going to kill his father in episode 8.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I haven't watched the 4th episode yet, but agreed completely that this show is great

John Cena is way, way too good in this role. Him constantly yelling at the Senator to keep giving him more as the guy keeps shocking Vigilante's balls is such a great scene

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ever since Arms-Fall-Off Boy showed up in Suicide Squad, I’ve really been pulling for Matter Eater Lad to be the next big thing.

Marsupial Ape posted:

He also effortlessly stepped in and merc'd those kids while knowing even less about the situation than Peacemaker.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

By the way if anyone was wondering why they keep joking about Economos' obviously dyed beard:

:v:

OK that's awesome. The kind of thing a big studio would never let you include in their show unless you had Big Gunn Energy :science:

zoux posted:

:hmmyes: dumb sister-fuckin' tiki torch-carrying Sloth from The Goonies-looking pieces of poo poo :hmmyes:

twistedmentat posted:

Just need to say this, Jennifer Holland is in inhumanly good shape.

Yeah she is. Normally I'm not into blondes at all but she's legit beautiful on top of being absolutely ripped if the dance intro is anything to go by. Maybe pound for pound more muscular than Cena :wink:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The utterly ordinary way Vigilante said,"So why don't you just kill your dad? :shrug:" really helped get across that the dude is incredibly hosed up, in a less showy way than him casually sniping the kids. His mindset is bad people need to be murdered and the idea of killing your own father if they fit his category of bad person* doesn't feel any different to him than killing any other criminal. The guy's insane, albeit extremely entertaining and weirdly adorable in how much he looks up to Peacemaker.

* To be fair, Peacemaker's dad really is an astonishingly bad person!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

The utterly ordinary way Vigilante said,"So why don't you just kill your dad? :shrug:" really helped get across that the dude is incredibly hosed up, in a less showy way than him casually sniping the kids. His mindset is bad people need to be murdered and the idea of killing your own father if they fit his category of bad person* doesn't feel any different to him than killing any other criminal. The guy's insane, albeit extremely entertaining and weirdly adorable in how much he looks up to Peacemaker.

That and just how easily he was manipulated by Leona. Vigilante is terrifying.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way the title for the next episode is apparently 'Monkey Dory' which is a big clue as to whether a certain something from the previous episode will become a factor.

Jerusalem posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That and just how easily he was manipulated by Leona. Vigilante is terrifying.

Yeah, Peacemaker also has a ton of issues but he's actively struggling with them and occasionally questioning himself. Vigilante is just rolling with it and having a blast.

That scene where they just had a threesome and Vigilante not only refused to take his mask off and expose his identity but he was angry that PM and Amber were sharing a joint and says "I can't believe they legalized that poo poo. Three years ago I would have shot both of you in the face for that" pretty much summed up his character perfectly. :v:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Christ, I hope they don't kill off Vigilante. That would be a very Gunn thing to do.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Murn looks eerily like the mayor of Chicago

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Cool show so far. A lot of the bits feel like they’re adapted from the classic bodybuildingforum arm/leg days in a week argument. Same tone.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Murn looks eerily like the mayor of Chicago

lol

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Smythe posted:

Cool show so far. A lot of the bits feel like they’re adapted from the classic bodybuildingforum arm/leg days in a week argument. Same tone.
I don't get this reference BUT I am irrationally furious that they don't allude to the supposedly human Peacemaker constantly working out and eating like John Cena.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I figure that the Butterflies are mostly alien refugees of some sort, or interdimensional refugees if they want to get even weirder, and that almost everyone they've entered into symbiotic relationships with has done so willingly (probably because getting assimilated results in some solid health benefits, or they think they'll have more mental control than they actually end up having). But there's a faction of Butterflies that's trying to hunt them all down, which led to them infecting Murn and having Murn pitch Waller about how there's all of these super dangerous aliens infecting and taking over people.

That seems to make everything make sense, and I'd appreciate the show not treating an alien entity like it almost exclusively has one set of goals or mindset (The vast majority of Ferengis in Star Trek being treated as being solely profit motivated comes to mind, for example). One of the bigger weaknesses I see in sci-fi or fantasy is a race, whether it's Vulcans or Elves, being painted in very broad brushes that don't leave room for the complexity of individuals, or even really highlighting the cultural differences that come from people of the same race or species living in different countries or cities. Some stories do a good job of addling more layers of complexity there, but it can certainly vary. I think what makes keeping things simple in that regard an easy trap to fall into is that you can tell a great story while painting those groups with a broad brush. I think Tolkein's books are awesome pieces of literature, but there's plenty of examples in his books of this "broad brush" approach to the cultures and behaviors of the different races of Middle Earth.

I'm not expecting that we'll find out there's just heaps of butterflies that all have their own individual mindsets or reasons for doing what they're doing, but even getting at least two factions of them in the mix is more complexity than I've been trained to expect in a body-snatcher type scenario.

I'm also pretty surprised I'm speculating and thinking this much about Peacemaker of all shows, but I suppose I tend to do this a lot with any show I enjoy a lot. It's just pretty random how often I'll post about it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So far this show is way better than The Suicide Squad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I looked him up because I couldn't believe I had never seen him before, given how funny he is, and he was Cormac in the 6th Harry Potter? I can't see it, he's unrecognizable here. And I mean that as a massive compliment. He's loving killing it on Peacemaker. The bit where he tries to mask his face? Amazing. The part from this week's episode where he sits down with the white power group and systematically tears them down? MVP poo poo, on a show with John god drat Cena.

He was very good in season 1 of Unreal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

sean10mm posted:

So far this show is way better than The Suicide Squad.

Episode 4 was really drat good but the first 3 felt like TSS with jokes for the sake of jokes and a big "laugh now" sign just out of frame. I hope the remaining episodes are like this - decent humour, big stakes, lots of drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Sleeper show I barely heard about until maybe a couple weeks ago. Great show though, goddamn.

Maybe turn the dial down on "jokes!" from like a 9 to an 8. But at least most of them are actually funny anyway so w/e.