Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's two characters who have the name Vigilante in DC comics. One is a Punisher knockoff with a costume similar to the one we're seeing on this show (Adrian Chase), the other is a modern day guy in a cowboy costume (Greg Sanders)

The cowboy version got referenced in the live action Stargirl show as well, in an olde timey photo of the Seven Soldiers of Victory superhero group

Also if people aren't familiar with the comicbook history of the Peacemaker character it got pretty fuckin' weird

quote:

Smith learns that his peace-through-violence efforts were the result of a serious mental illness brought on by the shame of having a Nazi death camp commandant for a father. He believes his father's spirit haunts him continually and criticizes his every move, even as he tries to live down his past.

Becoming a particularly deadly vigilante who would kill at the slightest notice, he begins to believe that the ghosts of the people he killed, or who were killed in his vicinity, are collected inside his helmet and can offer him advice and commentary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacemaker_(comics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way if anyone was wondering why they keep joking about Economos' obviously dyed beard:

quote:

Steve Agee as John Economos:
An A.R.G.U.S. agent who provides tactical support for Project Butterfly.[15] Agee reluctantly dyed his beard when first portraying the character in The Suicide Squad, and was not happy to do so again for Peacemaker. This is acknowledged within the series as a running joke about his dyed beard.[14]
:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like it.

I am gonna speculate that they are benevolent and friendly, but Amanda Waller wants them dead anyways because if everyone is happy this is bad for America or something.

Note that every time the butterflies have tried to kill or torture someone so far it was out of defense. The blonde butterfly in the apartment read the dossier about assassinating butterflies, the senator just watched his whole family get murdered.

Hypocrisy posted:

Senator Butterfly seemed pretty dismissive of human empathy though.

That's also a standard torture/interrogation technique, acting like you're a remorseless killer with no feelings to psych them out. :coal:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Could be one of several DC characters who are gorillas. Or it could just be a normal gorilla who shows up later to perform a comedic act of violence.

We might be getting that Doom Patrol crossover sooner than we expected!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way the title for the next episode is apparently 'Monkey Dory' which is a big clue as to whether a certain something from the previous episode will become a factor.

Jerusalem posted:

The utterly ordinary way Vigilante said,"So why don't you just kill your dad? :shrug:" really helped get across that the dude is incredibly hosed up, in a less showy way than him casually sniping the kids. His mindset is bad people need to be murdered and the idea of killing your own father if they fit his category of bad person* doesn't feel any different to him than killing any other criminal. The guy's insane, albeit extremely entertaining and weirdly adorable in how much he looks up to Peacemaker.

* To be fair, Peacemaker's dad really is an astonishingly bad person!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That and just how easily he was manipulated by Leona. Vigilante is terrifying.

Yeah, Peacemaker also has a ton of issues but he's actively struggling with them and occasionally questioning himself. Vigilante is just rolling with it and having a blast.

That scene where they just had a threesome and Vigilante not only refused to take his mask off and expose his identity but he was angry that PM and Amber were sharing a joint and says "I can't believe they legalized that poo poo. Three years ago I would have shot both of you in the face for that" pretty much summed up his character perfectly. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Opening credits choreography video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvszWqbwfyA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
*shrugs* "It's a living"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a massive youtube video about the sound effects that get re-used over and over in video game & movies & TV shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-HUM65Wwig

E: video description has timestamps for each of the SFX, CC shows game/movie titles

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 26, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cant cook creole bream posted:

By the way, it's sort of weird to have a character with the same first name as the main actor.

The character has had that name for 35 year already. :ssh:
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/John_Economos_(New_Earth)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZyBnsu1wc

Turin Turambar posted:

Maybe they only take over people who are going to die, are brain dead, etc.

If they can potentially take over chihuahuas I sure hope they can't take over bald eagles :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 28, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boo boo bear posted:

he's a part-time busboy at whatever passes for a tgi friday's in the dc universe.

'Fennel Fields' (i googled it) which I guess might be more of an Olive Garden equivalent????

Also I guess one factor in Vigilante's performance is that they reshot all his scenes for the first five and a half episodes so James Gunn ended up directing all the Vigilante stuff we've seen so far

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hobo Clown posted:

Who was the original Vigilante and what did he do that it was worth going through the effort of reshooting every scene he's in?

Chris Conrad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Conrad_(actor)

I don't think anyone involved has gone into detail over what happened except to cite "creative differences"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kaedric posted:

Gunn really likes the theme of aliens taking over human bodies, what with Slither, Suicide Squad, and then this

He also has a recurring theme of having characters who started out as being annoying/offputting but who we gradually come to really like over the course of the story but then get suddenly killed in a pretty dumb way right before the big finale. :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiberius Christ posted:

I haven't heard anything but I assume there's going to be one just because shows get greenlighted for multiple seasons even before they're released and peacemaker has had nothing but constant praise so there's already a fanbase ready for it

Apparently it's also rating through the roof, a few weeks ago there were a bunch of articles about it being the "biggest streaming series in the world right now"
https://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-max-peacemaker-is-biggest-series-in-world-2022-1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Getting attached to a side character in a James Gunn production is always a gamble

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Warbird posted:

P sure it’s referencing the fact that they discussed and strongly denied that ingress by poop chute isn’t something that the bugs will do, meaning that one will absolutely positively go up someone’s bum by the end of this; most likely by the parties strongly denying it for max comedic value.

It's been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWAMgvNJ-ro

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of Judomaster, I only just found out that during the opening credits he's hiding in the background in several of the earlier shots, poking his head out from around the corner.

Mokinokaro posted:

The only two in costume that are probably doing their own stunts are Cena and the guy playing Judomaster and I'm not even sure about the latter.

I looked it up and Nhut Le is a trained martial artist and stuntman but he hasn't had a whole lot of experience, he had a stunt double for certain shots

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 10, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twistedmentat posted:

Judomaster will probably show up at the end at the farm. He probably knows enough about the Cow and the farm but probably doesn't know whatever hosed up poo poo the Butterflies are planing for the Earth. He'll show up RIGHT as Sophie explains what they're going to do and is all "I kicked so many peoples asses for you guys, gently caress you!".

I'm expecting that he'll turn up at the very very end after Peacemaker & crew have killed everyone and finally tell them that thing he was trying to tell them and they'll all go "Oh poo poo we hosed up really badly, we really should have listened to this guy earlier! Oooops!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

10 Beers posted:

That was 2005, though. His career has come a long way since then.

Yeah The Rock was really bouncing around different roles back then, going from The Scorpion King to The Rundown and Walking Tall to Be Cool and The Tooth Fairy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

The internet tells me Judimaster is 5'6" and there's just no way.

He's exactly 1.5 R2D2s high, he's teensy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thundercracker posted:

From watching a random YouTube video in the comics he's dad was a rich Nazi. But apparently his characterization is all over the place. He also had two literal white dragons that are completely unexplained. He was basically a Z tier filler character in a Nazi themed super villain team.

My head canon is that he comes from a line of Nazi super scientists, but the only open Nazis in America are losers and neo Nazi trash so even though he can make super weapons he has to work with what he has.

That Nazi-themed super villain team 'Fourth Reich' is fuckin' crazy, their names are so lovely

quote:

Team Leader: Captain Nazi
Current Members: Baroness Blitzkrieg, Captain Nazi, White Dragon, Hunter, Shadow of War, Green Ghoul, Count Berlin, Captain Swastika, Doctor Demon, Baron Gestapo, Captain Murder
Former Members: White Dragon (William Heller), Reichsmark, Swastika

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

uh....doctor....holocaust...?

gently caress it good enough let's get lunch

It's like they had one of those Facebook meme things where you go down the list and pick a title that corresponds to the first letter of your first name and a name that corresponds to the last letter of your last name and that's your Nazi supervillain title. I wonder what the Nazi equivalent of "Moon Moon" would be

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheSwizzler posted:

It's comic book land, there's probably popular superscience magazines with instructions on how to build a pocket dimension

Also in comic book land "a wizard did it" happens way more often than you'd think

The world's lousy with ancient wizards just sitting in caves waiting to give mystical gems to whoever randomly walks in

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Everyone posted:

That reminds of something somebody said about (pre-Trump) Rudy Guiliani. I'll paraphrase because I can't recall or be arsed to look it up online but it was something like: "Rudy treats every problem like it's a life-or-death crisis. On most days that makes him an rear end in a top hat. On 9-11 it made him a hero."

My go-to example from fiction is Burt Gummer from Tremors, the insane prepper gun-hoarding rear end in a top hat who turned out to be awesome at killing graboids. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

swickles posted:

I hope we get more Z level villains. Lets have Condiment King and Calendar Man show up. The highest tier person that should show up should be like a 13 year old Robin.

Calendar Man already got a cameo in The Suicide Squad :v:

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1425851136469258242

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Warbird posted:

So what was even the point of Judomaster anyway?

I think the actor mentioned in an interview that the role got expanded during filming. I guess they just went "poo poo that was great, let's just have this dude keep turning up and randomly beating the crap out of people"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Warbird posted:

Someone mentioned that the Cheeto pervert was skulking around in the opening before he pops out of the floor at the end. I’ve watched it a couple of times watching for it, but haven’t been able to spot him this far. Does anyone have a screenshot or timestamp of him peeking out?

0:43 (on the left, behind Agee) is an obvious one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Have a gag reel!

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1494834430925414401

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Binary Badger posted:

In the comics he also has a different helmet for one issue that looks like a Roman centurion.

He also had one of those in the show :ssh:

The label is a little hard to read in this screencap but it's the scabies helmet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Astro7x posted:

So for season 2… do they go with a bigger and more ridiculous dance number for the intro using the same song, or do a whole new thing that’s equally as stupid and fun?

For season 2 they should have the superhero plot play out during the opening credits and have the entire rest of the episode be a coordinated dance number

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

Adebayo is a former dog shelter employee with a wife that she has to keep in the dark about everything and risk her relationship falling apart every day because of it, or risk never coming home at all. Not everything needs to be a "subplot" that progresses and seriously impacts the plot. Her marriage is a defining part of her character and motivations.

Also having someone outside the 'in group' who a character turns to for reassurance is a tried and true method for writing scenes that make it more obvious that a character is going through inner turmoil. "I know you're a good person. "Yeah I'm not so sure any more." We've all seen it a million times before.
If the character is a real loner the writer usually uses a bartender for that purpose: "Thanks bud, you're a really good listener" "Hey it's all part of the job"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darko posted:

Against common sentiment, I'd say Snyder - only that he reads Elseworlds and big "Crisis" sagas that are more "epic" and character interested than the monthlies which Marvel emulates more. Gunn is just not as earnest as most comics I've read (and I've read thousands at this point) - only certain ones like Deadpool, etc. make fun of themselves simultaneously as much. Comics are normally SUPER self-serious and don't contain many audience winking or making fun of themselves jokes at all. Gunn stuff is closer to what people think comics should be than what they are.

:thunk:
etc etc etc times a thousand

If that's your honest opinion of superhero comics then you have an extremely narrow view on the genre, they've always had a large element of self-parody, self-satire and straight up parody all the way back to the 1930s.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Modern Leper posted:

Haven't seen "macro" in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I would love an HBO Max Hitman/Section 8 series