Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In the lead up to its release, I saw a ton of web ads for this so I think it depends on where and how you see ads. It did underperform at the box office, though I think the Delta wave of covid might have affected that as well as it being simultaneously released on HBOMax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, on the basis of his appearances before this, I just figured he was a very good shot but gently caress all use in an actual fight after Judomaster wiped the floor with him. But no, you really don't want to get on his bad side because he will gently caress you up effortlessly.

Kinda surprised at just how good the main cast are proving, honestly, really enjoying everyone so far.

In all fairness, Judomaster was mopping the floor with Peacemaker too so to me at least it was more showing off more how much of a threat Judomaster was and less of the CQC competencies of those he beat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The timing of Leona shooting Judomaster... That and manipualting Vigilante into trying to kill Peacemaker's dad. Maybe she's not as innocent and incompetent as she seems.

At this point, everything is in question for her. There's basically a 50/50 chance every time that she's awkward or weird that it was actually on purpose to reinforce the illusion of her own inexperience and actual genuine inexperience. Waller, herself, says that her daughter has the skills and potential. In what, it isn't clear, but it's probably her ability to convince people of things and manipulate them, unknowingly or otherwise.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Anyone else holding out hope that the untrustworthy janitor who went to MIT will make a return? I'm so happy every time I see him in the opening dance number :allears:

I assumed he was gonna be their tech guy but Economist is filling that role. He might still get roped in to do more equipment based technical work rather than computer-based stuff though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, just using slightly different dancing takes for each part of it on every episode would be a lot of fun. Or have each intro be mostly the same, but each time there's one part of the dance that someone completely biffs it or is way off and you get to try to spot that each time.

The easiest way would be to have Eagly do something different each time or have something else in its place like a Butterfly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

What if everyone's stone-faced puppet-like dancing is foreshadowing that they're all butterflies? :tinfoil:

No it's because they're all action figures which is why their posting is all angular

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's about as silly as hiring Alan Tudyk to do the voice of a bird that only squawks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My theory on the butterflies is that all of their hosts were dead or dying when the butterflies entered them. Also a possibility is they're trying to work towards world peace by any means

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

Mayhaps they’re doing a “we want peace for all” thing and they have to take over and control everything because we’re fuckups of a species and are incapable of it ourselves? Big bad makes some big play of “we both want the same thing” and so on and so forth.

That would be my guess. Whatever happened to their planet is probably what they were afraid human were gonna do to our own so they decided to be proactive.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Vigilante is just gonna get more and more jealous of Economos getting all of the coolest kills despite not being a highly trained killer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Murn bring a different colored butterfly from the ones we've seen seems significant

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They should put Batman in it so Chris can give him a piece of his mind, and have Batman just, like, lose it and pull a Goddamn Batman.

They should put Midnighter in it so Peacemaker can call him knockoff Batman before Midnighter clocks him saying "I'm not the Goddamn Batman!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

So we're all agreed, PM and Vig will probably sleep together next season, no woman involved.

They probably did it before, but S2 just makes it official.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Nah it's just not really that big of a deal.

It's also a lot of this. Despite it being a kinda big deal IRL, it shouldn't be and is treated as such in the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think he is a solid hardware guy who can assemble the parts and wire them together, but the finer parts and tech are something acquired elsewhere.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Grant Morrison, who may have written the seminal modern Superman book in All-Star wrote about "evil Superman" on his substack last week and I thought it was pretty good

Morrison is another example of a person who definitely gets comics and is skilled enough as a writer to know how to balance the absurdity of it and the "in the moment" seriousness of what the characters are going though. Sometimes they get into a bit of the navel gazing too deeply, particularly in Multiversity and in parts of The Green Lantern, but they also understands that, at the end of the day, even without some greater overall message or metaphor, it should be interesting and true to the nature of the characters.

Also Morrison's pronouns are they/them which is quite easy to forget

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Gunn should do Secret Six.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Doom Patrol is a different genre from Peacemaker and deliberately slower and more emotional and more off the wall compared to Peacemaker. It's definitely good in its own way, but it's understandable for someone to like one and not the other.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If only accept Vic Sage Question in Peacemaker if it's the Zen monk version where he's philosophically waxing all the time and mostly indistinguishable from a guy who's on too much weed and acid, but also highly skilled in martial arts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

I forget, did PM nail Kiteman in the capture sense of the term or the cardinal one? Could make for some fun love quadrangle nonsense if they decide to merge the shows’ universes.

Nah, he captured him. There's even a newspaper clipping PM had

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BooDooBoo posted:

They did that in one of the comics a few years ago. (2 Harley's, not Margot and Kaley).

In the non canon Batman: White Knight, there was a pre-New 52 Harley and a post-New 52 Harley with the explanation that the Joker was so insane, he never noticed the old one leave and get replaced.

There's also the current canon arc where Harley sneaks into the new Arkham by pretending to be someone who thinks they're Harley Quinn, but isn't

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There can be more than one giant shark person

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Aren’t there currently 3 Jokers or something?

That was planned at some point by Scott Snyder or someone, but was ultimately dropped and made into a non canon story.

There are two Batmen now (again), but neither of them are Dick

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Who are they?

One is some fucker who still haven't delivered his electric car. The other is a black guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

it doesnt sound like they ever planned or wanted to go beyond 2 seasons anyway thanks to Cena and Gunn having such busy schedules, so hey, we'll probably get a good satisfying ending to s2 as HBO burns to the ground around it

S2 followed by a The Suicide Squad sequel that either kills of Peacemaker or has him walk off into the sunset only to reappear when a cameo is needed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

Is Black Adam a much bigger player in the comics? It just seemed bizarre to me that they were gonna rearrange the DCEU to put him in the center.

Lmao not really. His presence is like some weird feedback loop where the presence of one assumes the prominence of the other, but the truth is neither seems to work in their bigger roles. I also believe this was Johns' idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

James Gunn laid out his plan for the DCU going forward, and one of the projects is an Amanda Waller-focused series that takes place between Seasons 1 and 2 of Peacemaker and will have some of the characters from Peacemaker in it.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dcu-chapter-one-gods-and-monsters-james-gunn-peter-safran

Peacemaker S2 is also on indefinite hold because Gunn is now busy with Superman: Legacy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Amanda Waller series is supposed also bridge that gap fwiw. Hopefully it's not like The Book of Boba Fett which did the same for Mando

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 8, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Is it? When is that coming out? James Gunn's first tweet above seems to imply that Creature Commandos will be the first "chapter 1" (or whatever) project released on TV. Is the Waller show a bridge between old DCU and the new one, so...chapter 0.5 or something?

This is all so stupid.

That was how the series was explained when it was first announced. Basically the series would follow from the end of Peacemaker S1 as a spin-off series and follow her and be developed by other creators while Gunn is busy with the other DC projects before he returns for Peacemaker S2 which will probably semi follow from Waller.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Danny Devito should play Oberon in a Mister Miracle and Big Barda movie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The sorta ideal way to do comic book media is basically like the DCCW or even BtAS/StAS where each series/movie does their own thing more or less independent from the others and only references the others when relevant or in a big silly crossover. When Marvel set up their movie universe, it was done in that same way. Separate movies that hinted but not directly acknowledged each other until the first Avengers came out. Even in phase two, things were still kept largely separated and joined back up in Age of Ultron. Then it started getting a bit muddier and overindulgent. The same could be said about the DCCW after Crisis too (Batwoman's lead and the failed pilots for Arrow spinoffs didn't help as well).

A lot of this "is it canon? is it not canon?" is basically old hat to people used to comic books and retcons and reboots. Ultimately the canon is fluid and whatever the writers and runners say is canon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like gunns gonna keep stuff conected but mostly loosely. i wouldnt be shocked if authority in superman movie is created partly because Wallers daughter shot task force x in the head on live tv, so waller wants a new monster team she can control, which i assume doesnt work out.

There's at least an obvious through-line with the forthcoming Amanda Waller series as basically a season 1.5 of Peacemaker so I'm sure that'll get addressed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

yeah I dunno if anyone is able to do cool music cues like Gunn, he's so good at not just doing the lamest, easiest choice

Edgar Wright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

People need to see Baby Driver to really experience just how good Wright is in this regard. The music choices are absolutly amazing

It's also visible in Shaun of the Dead with the jukebox fight.