Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ever since Arms-Fall-Off Boy showed up in Suicide Squad, I’ve really been pulling for Matter Eater Lad to be the next big thing.

are you some kind of Time Wizard?

Goddam, what a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I do love that they established that Vigilante is an absolute monster against average mooks. He's not just cosplaying.

I hate how his leg armor doesn't match the rest of his costume.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, on the basis of his appearances before this, I just figured he was a very good shot but gently caress all use in an actual fight after Judomaster wiped the floor with him. But no, you really don't want to get on his bad side because he will gently caress you up effortlessly.

Kinda surprised at just how good the main cast are proving, honestly, really enjoying everyone so far.

I think it would have been better to show Vigilante beating up mooks in an earlier episode to a) establish he's a goof but also an actual hitter and b) establish what an actual martial arts beast Judomaster is when he first showed up. Seeing Vig handily beat the poo poo out of those inmates but then try to call time out on Judomaster and go home would have illustrated that Judomaster is a scary little gently caress.

Also, go to Nhut Le's Instagram at your own risk. Absolute thirst trap.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Christ, I hope they don't kill off Vigilante. That would be a very Gunn thing to do.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The intro is a great metaphor for the world of the show. A bunch of tacky amateurs acting foolish in a completely earnest, po-faced manner. The eagle acting like it didn’t hit its mark right is the cherry on top.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 22, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Speaking of the credits, did anybody else notice that Dee Bradley Baker is the voice actor for Eagly? He's a legendary VO actor and it seems odd that they would bring him in just for squawking.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Codependent Poster posted:

Kind of like hiring Vin Diesel to do nothing but say "I am Groot"?

Gunn wrung all the acting and charisma he could out of Diesel for that role.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Takes No Damage posted:

B... but we smoked weed together that one time :(

And in Harcourt/butterfly chat, I don't think it works. Didn't they say somewhere that that honey stuff (space nectar?) is the only thing they eat? And I don't think we've ever seen Murn eat or drink outside of That One Scene. If so, all those beers in that bar kind of rule her out.

I don’t adhere to the “Harcourt is a butterfly” theory, but if she is, maybe the butterfly just likes how getting drunk feels. The butterfly that picked up Peacemaker at the bar apparently just wanted to gently caress. That butterfly liked human orgasms so much it kept its vibrator out on the kitchen counter.

When not “performing”, butterflies obviously still have personalities and preferences. Otherwise, why would Murn be watching sitcoms or be annoyed that his merc buddy knocked on the glass instead of the door?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rhyno posted:

Anyone would be annoyed by that, alien bug or not.

No doubt. It’s the fact he verbalized it when nobody was around is what I am commenting on. They aren’t just meat puppet drones.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rhyno posted:

People verbalize lots of things that annoy them.

Butterflies aren’t people. That’s the point.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Mob posted:

Unmasked Vigilante resembles Jeffrey Dahmer so much with those glasses

You know what Dahmer really murdered? Aviator eyeglass frames for everybody else.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It makes sense. Racism is mostly an emotional, fear based response. Psychopaths don't feel fear.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Ok, so don’t watch tonight’s episode if you happen to super baked for the first time in two years. John Cena has a scary loving face.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, it's to mirror Peacemaker's line about he wants peace and he doesn't care who he has to kill to achieve it.

So it makes sense that the series is ultimately about Peacemaker fighting against a more successful version of his previous self.

I hope his new better self slogan “I love peace and I don’t care how many men, women, and children I have to kick the poo poo out of to achieve it”

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Mons Hubris posted:

What is “throw your dog the invisible bone” supposed to mean? I guess it’s sexual but what an odd turn of phrase.

I think it's a reference to chasing something that doesn't exist or is unobtainable. The whole song is about what you're willing to do or give up to achieve fame.

ie: faking your dog out when you make the throwing motion during fetch but don't throw anything.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
No complaints about the show, but I would really like an in-universe explanation why Auggie, a trailer trash white supremacist, can gently caress with super science.

Seriously, in a 40 year span he went from an impoverished hick making money on child bare knuckle boxing in a trailer park to being able to install a pocket dimension lab in his house and build super suits. Did he make Faustian pact with a Nazi demon? Smoke radioactive meth? Inquiring minds want to know.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

That's why Peacemaker works. Because it has you legit feel bad for Cena's character and makes a CG eagle hug actually have emotional impact.

Eagly has hugged Peacemaker more than his father ever did.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
If Auggie had only a single item of super science, like a zap sceptre or glun gun, I would just hand wave it for comic book rules. A villain needs a gimmick and there's a tradition in comics of C-List villains of having ingenuity to invent a single tool/weapon to support that gimmick. Captain Boomerang type poo poo.

Except, Auggie is a legitimate super scientist. A technobabble wizard, as I like to call them. He can construct a pocket dimension to keep his superscience workshop in. The super suit, the various gimmick Peacemaker helmets...something had to have happened to Auggie inbetween the kiddie boxing match and the show to give him that ability. I hope it is an element of Season 2.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Thundercracker posted:

My speculation on how Peacemaker will get out of being the most wanted man in America is that the final mission will go completely tits up and the existence of Butterflies will be fully revealed to the world much to the chagrin of Amanda Waller.

For a hot moment Peacemaker will become the hero he always wanted to be except there's going be a twist of the knife.

Batman swoops in an saves the day at the last minute. The after credits scene is Peacemaker screaming "I'm not the only that could smell the poo poo on him, right?"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Superman is the one that likes scat play though, Batman is just a pussy who won't kill people.

Batman smells like poo poo because he's fuckin Superman. Get on my level.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

Great finale, 10/10 series, can't wait for season 2.

Also loved the Justice League cameo near the end, cute way to make the world feel connected.

I now hope Peacemaker will be in Aquaman 2 so he can get a dad hug from Aquaman’s dad.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

MokBa posted:

Vigilante was palling around with Peacemaker before the latter went to prison so I think we can assume the character is in his late twenties at the youngest. He’s just a very enthusiastic sociopath who’s emotional and mental maturity are trapped in adolescence.

Vig is a very particular type of sociopath. Killing people for the sake of expedience shows that he lacks the empathy required to value life. Conversely, we also see him go from suggesting to murder the veterinarians to be instantly concerned that they not be hurt by tying them up with tape. Vigilante doesn't value life, but he doesn't value or see the necessity for cruelty. That's a very important detail.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It’s not gay if your bro keeps his mask on.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

jabby posted:

I love that Auggie can make jetpacks and energy gauntlets that can burn through steel, but he'd rather make a helmet that launches his son head-first at stuff because gently caress him. It's just so on-brand.

I'm still not a 100% on Auggie being a self-made mad scientist. During the final battle with his son, Auggie was talking some crazy poo poo about Moloch and how he was going to sacrifice Chris to something before Vig leapt in. Now, he's a ghost.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
This forum has a lot of pro-Gunn ideology.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everyone posted:

They've actually co-starred in three different things so far. Peacemaker, obviously, but also The Marine in 2006 and even in a 2010 episode of Psych.

Cena has come a long way since The Marine. His dialogue was mostly “America!” “Beef!” “Fight!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

I hope I die with my hotdog in my hand.