Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Freddie Stroma's so good in this show. I know it's just what actors are meant to do, but he's completely changed his physicality, and the poo poo he's doing with his voice, it's just so loving good.

I was concerned that it was another dude playing the character in the costume, rather than just for the stunts and stuff like you'd expect, but goddamn it actually seems like it's him. Just so loving good.

Yeah, I looked him up because I couldn't believe I had never seen him before, given how funny he is, and he was Cormac in the 6th Harry Potter? I can't see it, he's unrecognizable here. And I mean that as a massive compliment. He's loving killing it on Peacemaker. The bit where he tries to mask his face? Amazing. The part from this week's episode where he sits down with the white power group and systematically tears them down? MVP poo poo, on a show with John god drat Cena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

On a list of things I thought I'd see on an HBO show, I didn't think John Cena and crew fighting a gorilla super powered by aliens, until one of them tore him to pieces with a chainsaw, followed up with them rocking out to hair metal in a van while still covered in the gorilla's blood would be one of them.

gently caress, this is a REALLY good show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

Lol I'm listening to the spotify playlist and I've never heard of 90% of the bands and it loving kicks rear end

This is amazing. The only band on here I've heard of (I think) is Foxy Shazam. I've got some listening ahead of me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Takes No Damage posted:

I forget if it was an interview or one of the HBOMax clips posted earlier, somewhere I heard that he'll usually start with letting the actors do whatever, but if necessary he can step in and direct them down to the word to get the take he wants.

Was it this?

chitoryu12 posted:

I've read some interviews about it. He said Cena is the best improvisational actor he's ever met, so it was really just about making sure he had the dramatic abilities. He'll also get extremely precise with actors if they're having trouble; during TSS, David Dastmalchian was having trouble with the scene where he reveals his mommy issues. Gunn directed him to stand in a really specific way that looked like an awkward child, and Dastmalchian said that was all it took to fall into place. Gunn allows improv whenever possible, but he also has a very precise creation in his head that he can direct to the inch. He's an absolute visionary and beloved by everyone he works with.

Because I read through the thread earlier, and this post stood out to me, and is what you're talking about. But you might have read the interview OP here is referencing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Best news I've seen in a while. gently caress yes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Twitter is apparently angry that Cyborg wasn't included with the Justice League. Which, fair enough, he should be there. Especially after all of the poo poo that went down with Ray Fisher. But no one seems to be upset that Batman isn't there, either.

Oh, and great finale. Great show. So much better than I ever could have hoped for. I'm like a prophet for this show with the people I know. I won't shut up about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Warbird posted:

So what was even the point of Judomaster anyway?

Fun person for them to fight that wasn't just another Butterfly to mix things up, and prove that the Butterflies can just reason with people. Also, he was entertaining in his own right. And I'm sure he'll be back and pissed next season.

My question is, how the gently caress is he still alive? They never really explained that, and I was expecting them to. I guess he's just another super of some kind, but I thought it was going to at least come up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I thought he was shot in the chest and left for dead, but checking online, looks like Economos attended to him to keep him alive? So that's on me missing something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DeNomolos posted:

loved the finale, glad my guesses about Auggie being the first helmet ghost, and the butterflies being a group that wants to stop global warming by controlling us

What's this about Auggie being the "first helmet ghost"? Like, I know he's a figment of Peacemaker's mind, but are you saying he's a projection of a helmet or something?

I am often very dumb, I should note.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

itry posted:

It's an unforseen interaction between the Sonic Boom helmet's Alexa and his smart neck bomb. It got out and is living inside his brain stem now.

Edit: Stuff that actually happened on screen; ghost dad appeared at the spot the helmet got dropped on.

Edit2:

oh

Oh. Yeah, I'm gonna say that conclusion is definitely not on screen. Yet. You're probably right that they may reveal that in the future, but that definitely is not established in the show yet, no matter what the comics have done.

edit: If anything, that may be a pretty huge spoiler, if they go that route in the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VagueRant posted:

Enjoyed the journey, not sure about some of the destination. Show very solid and good but maybe not AMAZING.

Ghost dad being a thing seems kinda meh, I'm annoyed Harcourt survived (that was a lot of blood out of her mouth with no medical assistance), still digesting the morals and characterisation of Peacemaker instantly genociding the butterflies even if the scene played out well (i mean, it was reverse genocide, for every one of them they'all killed at least one human, but like...still digesting this).

What I can't figure out is - was the cow a victim or an accomplice? It looked like a prisoner last episode and during the milking, but then it looked sympathetic in the end, and Goff said it helped them.

Wait, do actual cows look like prisoners when they're being milked?

Not saying you're wrong about the cow, just a little context to maybe help with digesting the episode however you wish, they said their planet was dying, and when they came to Earth, they brought the cow to Earth to feed them. So the cow would have died on their planet, too, presumably. And the cow would have died in 100 years (though this is a long life span, it's not long for a species as a whole, since it can't reproduce on its own...presumably). But it was saved from extinction to keep the butterflies alive, and then killed by Peacemaker to stop the butterflies from staying on Earth where they would keep killing and controlling humans.

A pretty mixed bag, I'd say.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 17, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

Gunn by his own admission thinks they're one of the dumbest things ever but loves them deeply. This is important.

Yeah, comic books (not always, but very often) can be like professional wrestling. Very dumb, but extremely good and entertaining at the same time (and yes, problematic when it comes to the WWE, but you know what I mean).

So what I’m saying is, John Cena is perfect casting.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Modern Leper posted:

Momoa seems like a good sport, and it was part of his cameo in Peacemaker. Seems like fair game if you're a low level entertainment reporter looking to go viral.

I laughed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I miss him too, but Michelle Gomez (presumably) being back for season 4 will make up for it.

Hang on, Michelle Gomez is on that show?

gently caress, fine! I’ll watch it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

Hey yeah what the gently caress? Now I gotta watch it too! I don't even know what the show is, I haven't read that far back in the quotes yet, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The_Doctor posted:

Doom Patrol! I need to watch it too.

This was a nice little Doctor Who fandom moment, over Michelle Gomez, and I’d just like to say I enjoyed witnessing threads collide.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Quick trip report: I watched the pilot of Doom Patrol, and as a counter to what some people have been saying, I loving loved it. This show is EXTREMELY my jam. I'm not gonna make regular posts or anything, because this isn't the place for it. Just wanted to say thanks. gently caress, this is the kind of show I love.

At least from the pilot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

but the real prize for me would be Lake Bell showing up on the show as live-action Poison Ivy.

Don't give me hope for something like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

You say that as if it were somehow a bad thing.

And now you've lost me.

Nothing against Cuoco. But if James Gunn is directing Harley, it should be Robbie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xelkelvos posted:

That was planned at some point by Scott Snyder or someone, but was ultimately dropped and made into a non canon story.

There are two Batmen now (again), but neither of them are Dick

Who are they?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Warbird posted:

That’s real dumb.

It is also, however, a very thorough post, so thank you to Edge & Christian for explaining all of that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1506684035363344384?s=20&t=u3gtj4fVfvqqjiar2G8zRQ

This could go either way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

They also canceled the new Scooby Doo movie which was another 40 million they'll use to write off on taxes. That's over 130 million total thus far. Scooby didn't even have the "excuse" that Batgirl did that it was so awful it would melt your eyeballs or whatever.

I mean, it might have. It was a sequel to Scoob.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just for confirmation, note the 'franchises' they choose to highlight here

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1555295932153008129?s=20&t=AgmivNulFDCowZna4kkcRQ

This is bleak as hell.

"Do you like Superman? And Fixer Upper?" I don't think anyone could possibly answer yes to both of those questions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well played.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

On the one hand it seems a little silly for us to be all "whatever happens, we must use the correct pronouns for the accused child molester." But on the other hand, it's not about respecting Ezra Miller. It's about respecting all trans people and they just happen to be a subset of "all trans people."

The idea is that, while Ezra Miller might be losing their mind, and turning into a monster to those around them, that doesn't mean you have to be an rear end in a top hat when talking about them. It's honestly pretty simple.

There was absolutely no reason for the first part of your post. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat about people's pronouns, no matter who they are. Simple as that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

chitoryu12 posted:

The slow motion collapse of the DCEU is relevant in a thread about one of its shows. You'll take it and like it, buster.

Especially relevant when Miller appeared in this show as the Flash, even if it was a cameo. The character, as played by Miller, exists in this show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

Is... is that how that works?

If he's flying at the speed of light at a constant rate the entire time, sure? But yeah, that's a bit of an insane ask.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xelkelvos posted:

The Amanda Waller series is supposed also bridge that gap fwiw. Hopefully it's not like The Book of Boba Fett which did the same for Mando

Is it? When is that coming out? James Gunn's first tweet above seems to imply that Creature Commandos will be the first "chapter 1" (or whatever) project released on TV. Is the Waller show a bridge between old DCU and the new one, so...chapter 0.5 or something?

This is all so stupid.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1766846713917063569?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

Um…what?

I guess this is because the Justice League shows up at the end of season 1. But this is confusing. Is season 2 a reboot? Is it just a matter of canon not mattering at all on the show? (Most likely this.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

itry posted:

I don't give a crap about canon, but if S1 isn't canon to the "DCU" and S2 is canon... what does that say about the connection between the seasons? S1 never happened? Terminator dad is still alive? Beard guy is still dyeing his beard? Peacemaker is still killing people? :iiam:

Yeah, this is the main reason I posted the tweet. I don't care if it's not connected to the movies, but if one season isn't and one season is, I have questions.

I'm guessing it's more of a "don't think about it too hard, it's a silly show that won't think about it too hard either" situation. Peacemaker will have a line like, "And now Superman looks all young and different, but we're not supposed to talk about that..." and everyone else will just look at him confused. Like Deadpool talking about the different Professor X's.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

For what it's worth, I found the actual quote from Gunn (even though it's kinda chopped up).

https://www.darkhorizons.com/gunn-on-peacemaker-s2-filming-canon/

James Gunn posted:

S2 is full DCU not DCEU… Season one isn’t canon… Many strands will remain consistent, yes, insofar as Peacemaker’s story goes…. Peacemaker Season 2 will take place after the events in Superman. Everything in Waller will take place after Peacemaker.

Also, on Threads (where all this comes from) he confirmed that events in Superman will have an impact on Peacemaker season 2.

https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/replies

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 11, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Twerk from Home posted:

The new Mortal Kombat also seems to get Peacemaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTyMIjqxK60

So do you, like, build up shooting stronger?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, Birds of Prey was good, I really enjoyed that one.

The only ones I outright hated were the first Suicide Squad and WW84. Oh, and Joss Whedon Justice League. Shazam 2 was pretty bad, too. There's at least something to enjoy in the rest of them. Though I didn't see Blue Beetle (no idea which universe that counts as) or Aquaman 2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

WW84 also automatically assumes all wishes are intrinsically selfish, which is very weird. "I wish my dad didn't have cancer." You fiend, you monster.

"Please, I need everyone to give your wishes back."
"...sorry Dad."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did the wishing work in the first place? Did they find a well?

Magic wishing stone. Bad guy wished to become the stone. I am not joking.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

Is it even explained why he wanted to be the vector for wish granting? It's such an odd choice, as opposed to other choices in WW84 which are just bad.

I'm doing this from memory so I may be getting this slightly wrong, but the when you make a wish on the stone, it takes something from you as a result. Therefore, if he becomes the stone, he can grant people's wishes and then take things from them. I don't remember what things, it's a very dumb movie, please don't ask.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i was always rubbed the wrong way by the first wonder woman movie because ww1 is such a loving tonally stupid place to put a cool power fantasy. like yeah gently caress imperial germany and lol that she killed lindendorf or whatever. but it has that lovely trope i hate in alot of movies where it will show the hero loving annialating dozens of randos but then when they have the chance to kill like a legit awful person, then its suddenly time for mercy. like your killing a bunch of conscripted teens but you wont kill the very clear future nazi who makes VX gas. like lol

whats funny is james gunn does that trope but makes it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQChd-nf9A

Yeah, this bugged me a little when watching it. But I loved the No Man's Land scene so much I kinda let it slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Isn't he currently directing Superman? Or is he not directing every episode of Peacemaker s2 himself?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 15, 2024