Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OP not full of gifs of the dance intro, 2/10.

But yeah anybody that liked the The Suicide Squad movie get on this immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

There's only been one release. I've already talked to someone in the wild about the show. Give it time.

I just hope this isn't a limited series. I know Gunn is ungodly busy but this really feels like its his perfect playground, a dash of Troma, the hosed up side effects of Superhero-y, and comedy that can be built on characters given enough time to breathe and develop

In one of the TSS bonus clips on HBOMax he said that he just Googled a list of the dumbest DC villains when deciding who to put in that movie, that's how Polka Dot Man got in there. I'm not super into comics so I'm constantly amused/amazed at what insane bullshit constitutes a superhero/villain once you get past the top dozen or so characters everyone's heard about.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Ever since Arms-Fall-Off Boy showed up in Suicide Squad, I’ve really been pulling for Matter Eater Lad to be the next big thing.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I do love that they established that Vigilante is an absolute monster against average mooks. He's not just cosplaying.

He also effortlessly stepped in and merc'd those kids while knowing even less about the situation than Peacemaker.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

By the way if anyone was wondering why they keep joking about Economos' obviously dyed beard:

:v:

OK that's awesome. The kind of thing a big studio would never let you include in their show unless you had Big Gunn Energy :science:

zoux posted:

Because you know you want to watch it again

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1484329048197136388

:hmmyes: dumb sister-fuckin' tiki torch-carrying Sloth from The Goonies-looking pieces of poo poo :hmmyes:

twistedmentat posted:

Just need to say this, Jennifer Holland is in inhumanly good shape.

Yeah she is. Normally I'm not into blondes at all but she's legit beautiful on top of being absolutely ripped if the dance intro is anything to go by. Maybe pound for pound more muscular than Cena :wink:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

I don't get this reference BUT I am irrationally furious that they don't allude to the supposedly human Peacemaker constantly working out and eating like John Cena.

It's referring to the show's penchant for dropping everything so the characters can stand around and have inane arguments about ducks in human suits or how much you really need your little toe. Basically lol random monkey cheese, but the actors are all charismatic enough so it still works :cool:

PunkBoy posted:

One thought I had is that if they wanted to do the whole haunted helmet thing, they could have Flagg haunting it. I would definitely prefer if he actually came back, though.

Looks like ~somebody~ didn't watch through the credits for TSS :wink:

e:
I just doublechecked, I could have sworn it was Flagg in the post credits hospital scene but it's Cena. Someone didn't pay attention to that scene, and it was me. Now the Flagg/ghost comments make a lot more sense :negative:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 22, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that could have made it better would be if they had enough coverage to cut together 8 different takes. Not even anything major, just every cut has a couple of extra scenes with a different cast member or something. As it is now I just have to manually focus on a different person every episode like a peasant :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

Harcourt's actress was a gymnast and is actually the best dancer of the group, and everyone behind her is actually watching her for timing and prompts. But because she's wearing heels her footwork gets really hosed up and stompy.

Would be extra hilarious if how stiff and clunky the dance is was somewhat because all the non-dancers copying her, because how goofy and 'amateurish' it looks (intentional, obviously) is one of my favorite things about it. I'd probably be skipping it by now if it was even Dancing with the Stars level. But it's worse. Which makes it better.

e:

Marsupial Ape posted:

He's a legendary VO actor and it seems odd that they would bring him in just for squawking.

:thejoke:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 25, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Kind of like hiring Vin Diesel to do nothing but say "I am Groot"?

:actually: at the end of GotG 1 just before he sacrifices himself to save the rest of the team he says "We are Groot." In this tweet thread I will explain the significance of this within the larger MCU framework (1/54)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

It's always jarring when watching a movie or show and they go cheap and easy on the foley and you start hearing the cries of enemies from videogames. Gnolls from Warcraft games use quite a few common animal stock sounds as their unit noises, and I've played so much of them and you hear those sounds so often associated with the specific units that I can always hear a Gnoll in the background of the woods or whatever when the foley artist is just cycling through random wildlife stock sounds. There are other things like sound effects, special effect sounds, construction noise, or whatnot that I can't think of right now but I remember connecting those dots while watching it.

I've heard the 'wooden door creaking open' clip from Daggerfall in dozens of TV shows, it must be named aaaa_door_open.wav or something.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I watched Collateral because of that clip and lol what a weird movie. baby tom cruise dressed up like old man cruzassin. the last act went kind of nuts and taxi man suddenly became action movie gunfighter.

I really like Collateral, the nighttime shots of LA are some of my favorites from any movie, but yeah it falls apart pretty quick with any close inspection. For example, the timeline is completely busted. The 2nd guy they kill is a jazz nightclub owner, who they hit after the place is closed, chairs up on tables and everything. At a minimum that would be 3 or 4am but then they still run all over the city, visit Foxx's mom in the hospital, visit some more people and go save his lawyer girlfriend all in the same night? I don't think so :nyd:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

cops pulled over Max and almost politely had him step out of the car and poo poo, never pulled their guns or tased him or bashed him for resisting or whatever.

Also Mark Ruffalo's whole character. "Oh huh I think I remember this weird case from years ago where a cab driver drove around and assassinated like 6 high value targets in one night then drove himself to the airport and commit suicide :downs: " Sure you do Mark, sure you do.

Khanstant posted:

Also if they didn't say it was LA a few times I'd have assumed it was New York because I got city blindness, poo poo all looks the same to me.

Fewer palm trees in NY. That scene where they stop and some coyotes run across the street while Chris Cornell sings at them is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9JNJThhxY

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't know when they usually drop but ep5 just showed up on my feed. GO GO GO!

e:

Mover posted:

what happened to the escaped gorilla on the news in his dad’s apartment? whither chekov’s great ape??

Soooooooooooo yeah, about this... 😬

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 27, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The ending to the episode oh Jesus please be a fake-out and Murn explains he's like a... good parasite inhabiting a human brain....?

That was my assumption as well, and doing the Body Snatchers scream and jumping at her was just cliffhanger bait.

NowonSA posted:

I feel like this episode would've made for a fine and surprising reveal to us the audience of what's up with Murn. It'd certainly be more shocking and out of nowhere than doing it earlier. I wonder what the reasoning was for doing it that way when they were basically going to end an episode with that surprise (and have it be more impactful as it involves another character finding out) anyway.

But then we the audience wouldn't have had any tension when she was messing around with the xray helmet without knowing what she was about to see. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Another great moment was when in contrast to Peacemaker, Detective Song was unable to come up with more than three white guys. She seems great, and good at her job, but just not as good at these verbal battles.

What are you, some kind of :fork:?

zoux posted:

Make sure you watch the post credits scene

:agreed: that all but confirms at least some of that was improv.

e:
And I like how somewhere in there he gets called out for listing dead people but Economo doesn't say anything about Elvis :tinfoil:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 27, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

My guess is that the butterflies are factionalized and the one in Murn's head (and Harcourts???) are "good guys".

What reason is there to suspect Harcourt's bugged up? Beyond tanking getting punched through a shelf by a gorilla like a boss?

zoux posted:

Apparently Gunn runs a much tighter ship than you'd expect from the dialogue, but at the end of a good take he'll let the actors riff for a while.

I forget if it was an interview or one of the HBOMax clips posted earlier, somewhere I heard that he'll usually start with letting the actors do whatever, but if necessary he can step in and direct them down to the word to get the take he wants.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Was it this?

Yeah that's what I was thinking of, :cool:

zoux posted:

This kind of complacency is what allowed the butterflies to get a foothold in the first place!

:tinfoil: 🦋

Baron von der Loon posted:

Unrelated to cocb's reasoning, but I couldn't help but notice that she and Murn's intro dance made me think that they're being controlled like puppets.

Oh goddamn if there's actual plot relevance built into the intro choreography I'm gonna lose my frickin' mind :tizzy:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The janitor's dance moves tell us that we can't trust him!

B... but we smoked weed together that one time :(

And in Harcourt/butterfly chat, I don't think it works. Didn't they say somewhere that that honey stuff (space nectar?) is the only thing they eat? And I don't think we've ever seen Murn eat or drink outside of That One Scene. If so, all those beers in that bar kind of rule her out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

...all emotions... ...expressed at once... ...should have sent... ...a poet...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yes that's them*

*Hanoi Rocks. I randomly watched The Dirt on Netflix a few weeks ago don't @ me.

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of that Poison is probably the biggest band they mentioned so far isn't it?

That playlist is pretty rockin'. I never knew Hair/glam/cock metal was so deep.

Cinderella were also pretty well known as far as Hair Metal went. And almost any sub-sub-subgenere of music has lots of amazing songs as long as you have a dedicated team to filter out all the generic crap.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Just as likely to be a Lemmy reference as well.

Khanstant posted:

Holy gently caress dude, I kept thinking that guy looked familiar but couldn't figure a name. I thought maybe he was john leguizamo's brother or some poo poo, like, I don't think this is a "me being confused at the Departed because I thought the two leads were the same guy Fight Club style" goon face blindness, if I did not google "mark ruffalo collateral" I would've thought you were making a weird joke.

That's like a pokemon evolution jump to a different looking man. I wonder if I've seen other mark ruffalos in movies and not connected that it's the same guy as in his final form.

I couldn't remember either and had to look up the cast on IMDB :ssh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Re your second spoiler speculation: Robert Patrick as a Dexter style head ghost would be amazing.

My White Power Passenger...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Vigilantes hobby is murder.

Crackin' skulls is its own reward 💀

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought it was the restaurant where they had their first meetup, and they all made fun of PM for wearing his costume uniform.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Chris Conrad kinda played the Vigilante role on Patriot minus the psychopathy, a guy really psyched to be part of a team. I can see him as Vigilante, but nah this feels like a better iteration of that idea.

Although a scene where he strips and does a slow 360 so the rest of the team knows he keeps in shape would have been pretty great...

twistedmentat posted:

I'm getting a bit tried that 50% of the stuff I see about Peacemaker is "MCU is over because Peacemaker is really good".

Unless DC hands their entire EU over to Gunn I don't think the 20+ movie MCU franchise has too much to worry about just yet. So far he's the only one who's been able to make their grimdark R rating shtick work.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

His DC film and show are decidedly not grimdarkkk.

Mostly compared to Marvel. Gunn is showing himself to be pretty much R rated MCU, which turns out is pretty awesome. He's Curb Your Enthusiasm :: Seinfeld. Though fair enough, having him direct the next 20 DC movies would get pretty samey after a while.

Rhyno posted:

If you want rear end in a top hat Captain America you need to watch The Guest

twistedmentat posted:

BTW someone once said John Cena looks like buff Ernest and I can never unsee that.

:eyepop:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Also, what the heck was the piano scene for?

Um to be awesome and rock out to some Crue is what :rolleyes:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was that actually Cena in the piano? That was a nice scene and he had impressively sad facial expressions, but I kept wondering.they haven't shown a lot shots of his fingers there.

I was watching for that and I think they showed a lot of his hands actually. Normally when someone on TV plays piano you never see them and their hands in the same shot, but they did that a lot with Cena. If he couldn't actually play that he at least learned a lot of little pieces of it. Or they blew their CGI budget on it and the last 2 episodes are going to look like poo poo. That would actually be pretty funny.

Doctor Jeep posted:

locke is obviously some wetwork hardass motherfucker who is either retired and living quietly as a sheriff (unlikely) or dropped in that position to keep an eye on things for someone (waller?)

We see Murn hiring/briefing him...

Warbird posted:

Also if anything ever happens to Eagley I will send a strongly worded tweet to Mr. Gunn about how I'm mad about the CGI bird that got hurt.

Guarantee that bird's getting got by the last episode, probably by his dad which spurns him on to actually put him down. Sure he's a Klan Dragon, but killing the beloved pet sidekick is how we'll know he's a REALLY bad guy.

Rhyno posted:

Also, the Rock showed some solid acting chops in his early days and even flexed them on occasion but the last decade he's pretty much played the same character in every film he's made.

Yeah, a lot of his early acting was smaller roles playing silly characters like in Be Cool, before anyone was taking him seriously as an actor. I thought it was pretty cool he was willing to take those 'lesser' roles to get his foot in the door, but yeah for the last decade or so he's just played The Rock in every movie he's in. Also there's a running gag in the Pitch Meeting Youtube videos about how Rock has a clause in his contract that any movie featuring a jungle he has first dibs to be in. I watched Red Notice with my parents a few weeks ago and sure enough...

e:
So is it just me or does (timestamps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQvEItnEG-8&t=18s

remind anyone else of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6samPEMpM&t=123s

?

Also possible my brain is just broke on that BSB song from seeing all the meme anime videos...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 4, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I want one of those helmets to give regeneration/brain-healing so we can get actual Sophie Song back as part of the team for next season because I loved her character and also Annie Chang is really cute.

She's only in the intro dance for a few seconds, but even then you can tell she's about to bust into some legit good dance moves so they had to cut away :(

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah if The Suicide Squad taught us anything it's that you don't come back from aliens controlling you.

It's comic books so literally anything is possible. I'm not ruling it out yet just because we've heard one character imply that it can't be done. Who's to say a butterfly couldn't just burrow out of someone's skull and fart some metahuman healing juice behind them to heal up the hole? But Gunn, so just as likely she catches a shotgun shell to the dome next week :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

I'm impressed by how well the queen read Peacemaker's motivations. "I'll just draw a peace sign and get this hapless idiot to release me." is some A+ understanding of an alien species.

:ssh: They didn't let it out of the jar on purpose.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd say that kickstart my heart will be used in the final fight but there's probably some other rocking high energy hair metal song to use.

I'd say it's too obvious, but KMH is also my favorite Crue song so I hope it gets in somewhere. If this was the first Suicide Squad movie it would play over a scene where somebody's heart has stopped and the other characters are scrambling to rig up a makeshift defibrillator to, and you're going to love this, kickstart their heart :razz:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thrash Metal ≠ Hair Metal :colbert: Though the thought of season 2 having a soundtrack full of Metallica, Anthrax, Exodus etc does intrigue me, it's generally less immediately danceable / buttrock-y.

e:
In case anyone wanted to further expand their modern-ish hair metal playlist, I suggest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-u-vd5seiY

e2:
And by modern I mean 22 years ago, gently caress me :corsair:

vvv Heh, I caught that but didn't tie it to him asking for its favorite color. Nice attention to detail.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 5, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

RATT’s Wanted Man seems like a shoo in for the next episode imho.

One of my favorite Hair Metal Fun Facts is that Ratt and Poison toured together multiple times so they could have a Ratt/Poison tour. We've seen Poison mentioned but I don't think we've heard them yet. Playing Every Rose Has Its Thorn over mass cop/nazi murder seems too predictable, Gunn'll probably use a deeper cut.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the movie is a bit of a slog, but I also don't know how they could have adapted the comic any better (aside from changing the ending :wtf: ) into a single movie. Only other option would be to do a 12 episode show at 1:1 with the comic issues so they could include all the text extra material and that pirate story. Hell I'd still watch that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

It's not in the trash, it's sitting in the "crank file" on a desk. Could be said it's the same thing, though,

It's pretty heavily implied that it's going to get read and then published by that trash newsletter office, so eventually The Truth will come out. What difference that will or won't make is left as an exercise for the reader.

e:

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I like how Peacemaker was originally gonna be the Comedian and DC told Moore "no, invent a new character we have other plans for the charlton characters" and now Peacemaker is so similar to the Comedian

What's Katana's deal (from Suicide Squad)? She wears a big metal mask and her sword traps the souls of her victims, sounds pretty familiar...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 5, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harley's first appearance was in batman the animated series right?

According to her Arkham Asylum bio, her first appearance was in a comic from October '99. However in searching that, there's a Reddit thread about that very thing that seems to believe the did appear in the animated series shortly before that, leading to some confusion as to what her 'official' origin was meant to be.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

https://twitter.com/Itsanniechang/status/1490144803274694659

Annie Chang asking the real questions totes adorbs.

If anybody is able to be unbutterflied it better be her. She's got the congressman bug so she's the defacto leader I think, should still have plenty of screen time in the last 2 eps at least.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

everydayfalls posted:

For anyone who hasn’t already “Harley Quinn “ is an animated series on HBO max that is quite good. The whole run is up and is pretty funny.

+1. It's not mindblowing but it's way better than an adult DC cartoon has any right to be. 2nd season drags on a little bit IMO but if you're into Batman villains it's definitely worth checking out. They made Bane :3:

moist turtleneck posted:

Their smiles are relatable because I like aphex twin

That was a cute touch, after pointing out that every person smiled differently so they have to relearn how to do it for each new body.

e:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alright so my theory is nazi dad is gonna fight with Peacemaker and at some point in the fight a butterfly(possibly the queen, qill escape the cop body) burrow up Robert Patrick's rear end in a top hat killing him in some body horror way and then peacemaker shoots the Queen when she does the smile, probably ala scanners.

Hm doubtful. If they go to the trouble of making PM kill his dad, it would be kind of a cop out to have it not really be his dad anymore 1 second earlier. And like others have mentioned I'm expecting Vig's comments about weak points in the Dragon armor to come back up, Checkhov's Chinks style.

My pet theory for getting Sophie back is the butterflies have the ability to either go dormant or brainkill themselves, letting the person take back control of their body but keep the metahuman powers afforded by the bug in their brains.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 6, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Main characters even. There's no way the main four are all getting out of this unscathed.

Peacekeeper, Vigilante, Eagley, ???

Everyone posted:

So don't worry. Our planet will be perfectly fine. It just won't be "our" planet any more. Because we'll be extinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c&t=147s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Completely besides the point by now, but what editor do you prefer? Bonus points for FOSS as I don't have Adobe money. I could/usually do things in Blender, but I've made gifs that crash windows on more than one occasion by accident and figure I might want to try a purpose built tool.

For simple stuff like pulling out clips from a longer video, Shotcut is fairly straightforward and free/open source.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Must've missed the part where it's revealed him and Vigilante banged but that relationship certainly has those vibes.

He didn't have sex with Vigilante, he had sex, WITH Vigilante :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trying to understand 80's cock rock like the titular Peacemaker

:ssh: Song is from 2010.

e:
And this is the album cover :rock:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 9, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And because of all that they were days away from breaking up (again). But now they have a new agent and are booking international tour dates :unsmith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone in Youtube comments made a horrifying realization with this: when the Butterflies are drinking their nectar, they must be lowering the tube through the hole in the skull out the mouth to their "seat."

Nah, they just draw nutrients from the body directly. If the nectar went directly to the butterflies then 1) they'd only need like a teaspoon and 2) the human body would starve around them.

Jose Oquendo posted:

No joke. He's 30 years old. I'm 40. I've known him nearly all my life. I'm going to be completely devastated when he does pass away.

Bold of you to assume you're going to outlive him :birdthunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Agree with you entirely on Gunn's tendency to undercut emotional moments with humor

In this case, however, it's Judomaster. Judomaster can and will show up to gently caress poo poo up at any time and it's always appropriate.

It's never NOT time for Judomaster :colbert: