Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

12-minute hands-on preview with IGN just dropped. Shows off some early game content and confirms a few returning characters, if you're trying to avoid spoilers. I know the first Horizon looked good, but wowser! This is on a whole new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxyWcRq_jnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
:siren::siren::siren:GWENT CONFIRMED:siren::siren::siren:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Captured some cool/cute moments from the preview.

https://i.imgur.com/tUhKqRc.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/XmQM0hy.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/wCK67od.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Holy crap that looks amazing. Also for being such a badass in combat, I love how Aloy is also a huge dork in celebrating. :kimchi:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:kimchi:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My weapon building queen

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'll never forget Sylens' name because Aloy gets a sweet burn on him when he stops talking to her. I forget the exact phrase but it was along the line of "No wonder your name is Sylens", lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kazzah posted:

:siren::siren::siren:GWENT CONFIRMED:siren::siren::siren:

That the Strike board game the pre-order had mentioned forever ago? Where is it mentioned in the video?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The improvement in not just the facial animations but the composition of the conversation cut scenes is so dramatic, it's amazing. I remember saying about the first game that it was like no one at Guerilla had seen a movie the way every conversation had the same awkward back and forth angle with each person shifting their body weight like someone trying to act for the first time in their lives. They listened to criticism (not me obviously). There's real life in the characters' faces and the scenes look like someone who knows what they are doing with a camera "shot" the scenes.

And the action looks incredible. This does not look like a sequel where it's the same game but more, they appear to have busted their asses to outdo themselves in substantive ways, though obviously we can't be sure watching a hype reel. Can't wait.

JBP posted:

Ashly Burch rules. She's a great VA but I'd like to see her in some more live action stuff, she was good in mythic quest.

She is a genuinely wonderful actress, I hope she starts getting more and bigger roles. She's got great comedic timing and a super-expressive face.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The improvement in not just the facial animations but the composition of the conversation cut scenes is so dramatic, it's amazing. I remember saying about the first game that it was like no one at Guerilla had seen a movie the way every conversation had the same awkward back and forth angle with each person shifting their body weight like someone trying to act for the first time in their lives. They listened to criticism (not me obviously). There's real life in the characters' faces and the scenes look like someone who knows what they are doing with a camera "shot" the scenes.

They had already significantly improved the conversations in Frozen Wilds, I think they removed some technical limitations there and must have been working on it continuously ever since

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The difference is that Guerrilla had the time (and budget) to do full performance capture in Forbidden West, rather than whatever animation cycle-based software they were using in Zero Dawn outside of a few select scenes. It began with the Frozen Wilds DLC and really shows here, not just for shot composition but in getting more natural performances from your actors. Outside of one scene in HZD Ashly Burch and Lance Reddick never performed their lines in the same room, which is pretty crazy to think about. The shift to full performance capture that a lot of AAA projects are undergoing right now is gradually making video games much less like voice acting and a lot more like theatre, where you can really see all the little nuances in a character's body language. The main drawback to this method is that the process is still hella time-consuming and expensive, but that's probably not a problem for Sony.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The difference is that Guerrilla had the time (and budget) to do full performance capture in Forbidden West, rather than whatever animation cycle-based software they were using in Zero Dawn outside of a few select scenes. It began with the Frozen Wilds DLC and really shows here, not just for shot composition but in getting more natural performances from your actors. Outside of one scene in HZD Ashly Burch and Lance Reddick never performed their lines in the same room, which is pretty crazy to think about. The shift to full performance capture that a lot of AAA projects are undergoing right now is gradually making video games much less like voice acting and a lot more like theatre, where you can really see all the little nuances in a character's body language. The main drawback to this method is that the process is still hella time-consuming and expensive, but that's probably not a problem for Sony.

Yeah, I've seen the BTS video of the capture stage they used for it and the investment sure has paid off. The subtle little facial movements and everything else make so much of a difference in making the characters come to life and reduce our burden of suspension of disbelief.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

PSA: If you're planning on reading the Three Body Problem do not hover over the spoiler bars in this post. And if you're a fan of the kind of Sci-Fi presented in HZD, you might want to read the 3-body Problem, The Dark Forest, and Death's End.

Just to add my 2p to the conversation from a page or so ago, I found it very easy to identify with Sylens' character in the first game, because I myself was obsessed with uncovering the mystery of this world, and I was just playing one of the few videogames I've ever finished. Sylens actually lives in the world so I can only imagine how much more tantalising it would be if that were the case for me, if I were actually irl surrounded by thousands-year old metal ruins and mysterious machines roamed the landscape. I'll second the sentiment that I also hope he doesn't go full antagonist.

As for where the signal/Faro plague came from, I'm rooting for there having been some kind of SETI/METI project, perhaps automated and still running, perhaps not, that nevertheless at some point in the past scored a positive result. Or maybe intelligent life detected the original glitch that caused the Faro Plague and you can picture some astronomer on a planet or station around a distant (but relatively nearby in cosmological terms - it would have to be somewhere within a 450/500 lightyear bubble to line up with how much time has passed) star going "crap, guys, we have another potential AI singularity here, send the probe signal to poke it and see what's up. We might need to go over there and take care of it, we don't want a repeat of the Tabby's Star incident..."

To clarify, I'm not rooting for actual aliens to have visited or be visiting Earth in the timescale the games and their backstory take place in. No, that would be too cheesy, and we already have robot dinosaurs lol. I'd rather it be that they exist and are a part of the backstory, but they're so distant and act on such timescales that they are unknowable and incomprehensible to our characters, and regardless not an immediate concern anyway other than as a satisfaction of a curiosity, something their distant descendents many generations in the future will have to worry about, maybe. Or perhaps like how it's presented in something like the 3-body problem trilogy, where the Trisolorans from Alpha Centuri that pose such a big threat to the human race in the first book or two, never actually end up meeting the humans and by the end of the series are as good as a forgotten footnote in light of the ever-escalating poo poo that ends up happening, due to the sheer distances involved in travelling to even our nearest star. I'm not sure I recall there ever being a physical description of what they even look like..

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That the Strike board game the pre-order had mentioned forever ago? Where is it mentioned in the video?

Around the 3 minutes, 40 seconds mark, when side activities are listed off.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
What I want to know is how Aloy got the idea that it was ok to walk into a restaurant kitchen and just re-arrange the onions for some reason. Can't wait until the 18th and I get the context for that

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just want that purple costume :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can watch some more of IGN's b-roll footage without commentary here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWacKol8Rdo

It seems like the predictions that Aloy's shieldweaver armor would break down at some point were indeed correct, although it doesn't seem to quite line up with her acquiring the Shield Glider. My guess now is that you'll start the tutorial mission with the shield intact and it'll become inoperational by the end, giving new & returning players a good excuse to ease back into the combat. Hopefully there will be some way to restore it by the end of the campaign.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I love a good Metroid intro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Guess we never got those right to repair laws, they did warn us about nonreplaceable batteries

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cactus posted:

I love a good Metroid intro.

Should have gone for the Faro++ warranty, Aloy!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

You finally reactivate Gaia, and her first words are, "We've been trying to reach you about your extended warranty."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A compilation of some random Forbidden West details by IGN. Something that I haven't seen discussed yet is that overfill on limited-capacity items like berries and potions will now be sent directly to a stash located near the workbench in town. Vantage points will return as environmental puzzles. There are also some more details about the Machine Strike game in part 31.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoVDAy3uQZA

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

timestamped if you want to avoid possible spoilers on other stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoVDAy3uQZA&t=512s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why is every single ad on that video the trailer for Jackass Forever

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So I guess you can be prepared but never too prepared if they don't want you having all that capacity on Alot. But they don't want to punish the player who continues to forage, buy, craft that stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

It's always Google phones for me

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

All I wanna know is what's going to be this game's "SCRABBLING A BIT!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cactus posted:

All I wanna know is what's going to be this game's "SCRABBLING A BIT!"

Shocking how vividly this sentence brought back memories

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

In the far future, clone Johnny Knoxville is getting gored by a robo bull while all his friends stand around and laugh at him.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Shocking how vividly this sentence brought back memories

"WIND'S HOWLING'"

edit: I really hope this game is this franchise's leap from one game to the next that the Witcher 2 to the Witcher 3 was for that franchise.

and not, I hope, the leap that the Witcher three took to Cyberpunk farty twenty seven seven fart

Or the leap that mass effect took to arrive at andromeda. I'm so not pre-ordering this game until the reviews are out. My lesson has been learned.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 27, 2022

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
A prudent plan. I don't think I'll pre-order, either. My personal expectations are that it'll be fun and pretty and well-executed. It'd be rad if it's a big push forward, but I'd be 100% okay with a consistently solid experience that has a few iterative improvements over H:ZD. Excess materials going into the stash is a good sign of that.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

How hard is it to buy a PS5 for MSRP these days?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Pack it up everyone. The game is bad.

https://twitter.com/JAAY_ROCK_/status/1486418319548764165?s=20

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

do people really think this is a problem

like maybe, the game is lazy and bad (who the hell knows yet) but having the same character use the same animation for the same action in a direct sequel is normal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

First with God of War now with Horizon?! Could Sony be any more lazy!?!?!??! Pack it up failures, video games are dead on Playstation. Time to buy a Xbone.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

isk posted:

A prudent plan. I don't think I'll pre-order, either. My personal expectations are that it'll be fun and pretty and well-executed. It'd be rad if it's a big push forward, but I'd be 100% okay with a consistently solid experience that has a few iterative improvements over H:ZD. Excess materials going into the stash is a good sign of that.

Yeah I've learned been exposed to that lesson more than once. It doesn't matter the company's track record. It doesn't matter what video footage I've seen. It doesn't matter whichever outlets are saying this and that are amazing; I Will Never Ever Succumb to pre-order hype ever again.

Many thanks go to CDPR; they really nailed that lesson, the one that I wilfully failed to learn from the No Man's Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda releases. I'm genuinely grateful because over the years it's taken a while for me to recognise how susceptible I am to all of these insidious hype tactics. I will wait and see, and then, when my suspicions are confirmed that this is indeed a motherfucking kickarse have-a-tomato-and-eat-it-as-well game, I will click the clicky thing and purchase my post-post apocalypse experience, and endeavor to be a pretty conflicted hard-nosed red-haired princess that rides giant robot beasts of burden into tribal lands she knows nothing about.

I can't wait to not be disappointed.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
This is my first time preordering a game in years, so I’m the dumb one who’s gonna get burned.

I really hope this game is amazing though

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Waiting for the PC port will help me with this problem immensely.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MH Knights posted:

How hard is it to buy a PS5 for MSRP these days?
I've been trying since they announced the loving thing with no luck. Most places are getting better about limiting purchases to one (and/or requiring a membership in some club that costs money to join) so the bots/scalpers aren't gobbling them all up but every time I've been informed of a stock drop in the 10 seconds between the drop going live and mashing the BUY button they're all gone. I have an account set up at loving Walmart, and I despise Walmart. It's like playing a lottery where you get to blow $500 if you win. People do get them, but demand outstrips supply so much right now, gfl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I bought a PS5 by accident.