Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

exquisite tea posted:

Stealth is even more viable because you can use smoke bombs to reset invis mid-combat and eventually get as many as 12 of them with gear. Combine that with the valor surge that triples your damage with silent strike and you can do like 2k damage per stab. Fun!

Also a 1200 damage AOE shock blast attack in the middle of the stealth tree for whatever reason which has been helping me in some difficult situations.

Eyud posted:

Game still owns, and the port runs great.

Yeah, HZD was one of the worst ports I've played at launch and crashed countless times during my first playthrough. They were diligent about releasing patches and it's mostly flawless now but it took them a while to get there, Forbidden West has only had one CTD for me so far and performance has been solid from the start.

Would strongly recommend anyone with a 2000 or 3000 series Nvidia GPU download the dlssg to fsr3 mod to enable AMD frame generation when you're technically not supposed to have it, I'm still running a 3070 and it's given me enough of a performance boost to run everything at Very High with a consistent 60+ FPS. Some people seem to have negative opinions about frame generation but I've used that mod in several games now and it's basically a "download more FPS" meme but real. With Nvidia Reflex enabled I can't notice any difference in input response and the generated frames are indistinguishable from real ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i regularly completely forget smoke bombs exist because dpad down is the call mount button and that muscle memory ain't changing :colbert:

(yes playing on hard is giving me some trouble without potions why do you ask)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ciaphas posted:

i regularly completely forget smoke bombs exist because dpad down is the call mount button and that muscle memory ain't changing :colbert:

(yes playing on hard is giving me some trouble without potions why do you ask)

i mean i'm not really any better, occasionally i'm like "oh yeah i forgot you can ride machines in this. gross. who would want to do that? it reduces your turn rate!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Would strongly recommend anyone with a 2000 or 3000 series Nvidia GPU download the dlssg to fsr3 mod to enable AMD frame generation when you're technically not supposed to have it, I'm still running a 3070 and it's given me enough of a performance boost to run everything at Very High with a consistent 60+ FPS. Some people seem to have negative opinions about frame generation but I've used that mod in several games now and it's basically a "download more FPS" meme but real. With Nvidia Reflex enabled I can't notice any difference in input response and the generated frames are indistinguishable from real ones.
I tried this but turning on frame generation forces on NVIDIA Reflex which gets me to a sub-10 framerate most of the time, and a very choppy 60 the rest. any idea why that might be?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Anyone having an issue with shaders needing to be compiled after fast traveling and after certain cut scenes? I've got a 3080 but a fairly old processor at this point.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ciaphas posted:

I tried this but turning on frame generation forces on NVIDIA Reflex which gets me to a sub-10 framerate most of the time, and a very choppy 60 the rest. any idea why that might be?

You should be able to have Reflex and Frame Gen on at the same time without issue from my times using it, not sure why enabling both at once would tank performance. The main thing I've seen in troubleshooting forums is that enabling/disabling Vsync or locking framerate can have dramatic effects on how well it works. In every game I've used it I'm running an unlocked framerate on a Gsync enabled monitor and turning Frame Gen on will roughly double FPS with few noticeable downsides. Gsync/freesync might have something to do with it but I haven't been able to test it any further than how my own system reacts.

I see a lot of mixed reception to the mod but it's worth fiddling with a bit to at least try and make it work. It's a day and night improvement in my case, the only issue I've had with it was in Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora where the UI clearly wasn't intended with FSR in mind and there were obvious tearing lines around every UI element instead of a subtle blur. Haven't seen anything like that in Forbidden West and whatever artifacting the frame generation is introducing has been slight enough that I would have to freeze frame to point out inconsistencies.

Digital Foundry did a video on the mod about a month ago which is where I first learned about it, they break down the benefits and shortcomings much better than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlHq_EuxFU

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 26, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I was having the same problem until I used rtss to cap frames at 60. Nothing I could do to the in game settings (including swapping out my 1440p for a 1080p monitor), but now it's smooth as glass.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Eyud posted:

I too am attempting to play this on ultra hard from a fresh start (I did NG+ UH on PS5 previously). I get one shot by a lot of stuff but so far I’m still having fun and making progress. Game still owns, and the port runs great.

i was thinking i should have gone for the fresh playthrough UH achievement after getting a few levels in and no longer having issues killing packs of 3 scroungers, and instead breezing through most basic encounters. the big fight outside of plainsong was a fun opportunity to shoot off clawstrider tails outside of one bit where i had to run away to restock on berries (no idea why there aren't any along the path). i first tried the first zenith dude fight that killed me so many times on my PS4 playthrough that i gave in and swapped to story after enough deaths. the light show after is still a fukken great set piece reward

then i spent a solid hour dying repeatedly to the first tideripper and was like, "yknow, nah, VH's still fine". granted, i was about 5 levels under the recommended one (look i wanted the rebreather as soon as possible and had beelined the main plot) and drunk af, but still, the game is good at putting you in your place when it wants. plus, iirc the gear/level progression is even grindier, and that would kinda suck. im already starved for shards, and i dont want to have to farm that hard to get into mostly blue kit

im actually using the shredder gauntlet this time around, though it seems less effective than my tear hunter bow at harvesting poo poo. on the other hand, it's loving boomerang! fun!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
After completing the 2.5 hour tutorial and reaching the opening credits, wow that's a lot of mechanics to learn, remember and integrate.

I play DCS and learning to start, fly, run the radar, and land an actual F/A-18 was slightly easier

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Kesper North posted:

After completing the 2.5 hour tutorial and reaching the opening credits, wow that's a lot of mechanics to learn, remember and integrate.

I play DCS and learning to start, fly, run the radar, and land an actual F/A-18 was slightly easier

To be fair the F/A-18 was designed for Navy pilots so they couldn't make it too hard.

But yeah, the intro to the game is very long. Longer than you think it is. You're probably still in it. It takes so long to get to the actual Forbidden West that it's honestly funny.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Olothreutes posted:

To be fair the F/A-18 was designed for Navy pilots so they couldn't make it too hard.

But yeah, the intro to the game is very long. Longer than you think it is. You're probably still in it. It takes so long to get to the actual Forbidden West that it's honestly funny.

Horizon Forbidden West has the same miniature open world tutorial zone, but it's brave enough to ask: what if the tutorial zone was long enough and dense enough with content to be a short game just by itself?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm not saying it was the wrong choice at all, mind you, it was good to have the breathing room for story, character and learning mechanics. It was about right, frankly wrt me getting my muscle memory back with the game.

But I sure forgot about the climb.

I also forgot what a whiny, entitled fuccboi Erend is, jfc

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Getting further into the game and pretty much every large set piece enemy is one shotting me with almost every attack. It gets frustrating but learning to kill Thunderjaws and that Mammoth thing hitless was pretty fun. The Thunderjaw was especially rough because it was part of a side quest I thought I'd bang out real quick before continuing the main story and it was three combat encounters one after the other and all of a sudden it's like an hour and a half later and I've completely forgotten about the main quest and all I know is ravagers and Thunderjaws and pain. The sense of satisfaction and relief when I killed it was good though.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

exquisite tea posted:

Since this game is launching on PC soon, here are my :siren:TIPS FOR NEW/RETURNING PLAYERS:siren: because the gameplay is different in a few substantial ways from Zero Dawn and a lot of people get rolled upon re-entry.

- Most people agree that the game is about one rung harder than the difficulty levels in Zero Dawn. So in other words, if you completed ZD on Hard, that would be more like Normal here. I would not recommend going any deeper than Very Hard for a first playthrough, as Ultra is kind of intended to be the NG+ difficulty.
- Learn what QUICKDRAW is. This is the most important concept in combat and it totally gets glazed over. Basically in Horizon Forbidden West, Aloy can aim 50% faster while sliding, falling from a significant height, riding a mount, or shortly after hitting something with a melee attack. You want to be triggering this all the time because the machines are in general super aggressive and most of the starter weapons are slow to aim. Weave slides in between rolls to increase i-frames and keep Aloy from stumbling.
- Because the machines are a lot more aggressive, having at least one form of crowd control is mandatory. I recommend a Spike Thrower with drill spikes for high knockdown, or the good old Ropecaster with handling coils.
- In Zero Dawn, you could generalize your loadout and be generically good at everything. In Forbidden West, it's better to specialize along a particular skill tree and focus on upgrading the weapons and outfits oriented around that particular playstyle. I recommend Ranger, Infiltrator, and Warrior as the best trees to specialize in early.
- There are six different main elemental types in HFW: Freeze, Shock, Acid, Purgewater, Fire, Plasma. I've listed them in relative order of importance. But just like Zero Dawn, you want to have a balanced weapon loadout that covers a lot of different uses and elemental vulnerabilities.
- If you don't want to kill animals for pouch upgrades, you can buy them for shards in most towns.
- If you don't want a usable item to appear on your toolbar, hold down on the D-Pad and switch it out with Square/X. As long as you don't send those items to your stash, it'll never show up on your scroll wheel again. Personally, I like to have Smoke Bombs as my main D-Pad tool, scroll left for potions/mounts, and scroll right for traps/buffs.
- Completing the main story up to the point where you collect the 3 Big Things will give you all the traversal tools necessary to unlock hidden areas like the metal flowers and underwater caverns.
- Use your valor surges, they are super OP. Waiting until all 3 bars are full = better valor surge, in case that was not obvious.
- Burning Shores (DLC) weapons and outfits are significantly easier to upgrade than those found in the main game, so don't spend too much time grinding out machine parts before heading there.

Quoting this whole thing for a new page. Also, asking: tea, which skill tree did you mean by Ranger?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Going to write a complaint letter to Hephaestus for putting so many cannons on this turtle.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Probably the Hunter tree

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Going to write a complaint letter to Hephaestus for putting so many cannons on this turtle.

Shellsnappers are probably the thing I have the most trouble with in the game. loving guns everywhere and bullshit mobility that I can't even turn off by blowing off its stupid feet.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Commissar Canuck posted:

Anyone having an issue with shaders needing to be compiled after fast traveling and after certain cut scenes? I've got a 3080 but a fairly old processor at this point.

Yeah, that's happening for me. Kinda weird!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

Getting further into the game and pretty much every large set piece enemy is one shotting me with almost every attack. It gets frustrating but learning to kill Thunderjaws and that Mammoth thing hitless was pretty fun. The Thunderjaw was especially rough because it was part of a side quest I thought I'd bang out real quick before continuing the main story and it was three combat encounters one after the other and all of a sudden it's like an hour and a half later and I've completely forgotten about the main quest and all I know is ravagers and Thunderjaws and pain. The sense of satisfaction and relief when I killed it was good though.

Have you done the quest that ends with fighting a Thunderjaw and a mammoth guy at the same time (with a little spy bird in there for good measure)? I couldn't finish that one until I'd beaten the main game.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I ha used pretty much the same approach to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWCddMN_XE

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

Shellsnappers are probably the thing I have the most trouble with in the game. loving guns everywhere and bullshit mobility that I can't even turn off by blowing off its stupid feet.

I honestly got pretty tired of the "semi-boss-monster you have to fight in an arena-like enclosure that it can jump all the way across instantly if it detects you aiming at it," model of encounter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lulumeservey/status/1773337765716914348

:thunk:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Every silicon valley dipshit who looks like that end up being massive tools... and dipshits.

Actually, scratch all that. Every silicon valley dipshit is a dipshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I notice as I go along is how much the landscape, including the flora and (organic) fauna, is how much they remind me of the actual American west and southwest. Then it occurred to me that it was a deliberate choice by GAIA or whoever programmed her to replicate pre-plague biomes, but I wonder if that's the best idea? I doubt GAIA restored kudzu to the American south, or zebra mussels to the great lakes, but why stop at invasive species? Did she recreate mosquitos and tse-tse flies?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's an interesting question and one I'm not sure is officially answered anywhere in the games. Bacteria and other microbial life is obviously essential to the world's ecosystems but I don't recall any stories that specifically mention infectious diseases or airborne pathogens. The absence of large domesticable livestock and sparsity of post-Zero Day human settlements would contribute to the lack of transmissible diseases, but insects and other vectors for infection clearly exist. So either GAIA just kinds of lets things happen and the conditions of the world are such that human disease isn't as prevalent, or GAIA has been twisting the dials to quash the most common threats to human life.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

zoux posted:

One thing I notice as I go along is how much the landscape, including the flora and (organic) fauna, is how much they remind me of the actual American west and southwest. Then it occurred to me that it was a deliberate choice by GAIA or whoever programmed her to replicate pre-plague biomes, but I wonder if that's the best idea? I doubt GAIA restored kudzu to the American south, or zebra mussels to the great lakes, but why stop at invasive species? Did she recreate mosquitos and tse-tse flies?

Geographic similarity would make sense since Gaia is working from a known historical template. No sense wasting resources on complete from-scratch trial and error when the goal is repopulation of humans. It’s not like you’re going to be able to turn the Himalayas into a jungle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They turned Yellowstone into a tundra so maybe

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
There was a datapoint in the first game about the rewilding process, and it all seems pretty deliberate, with small selections of key species getting introduced at first. And since we're still stuck at that early stage (without APOLLO-educated humans to manually bring back everything else), I doubt dangerous pests are around unless they were absolutely necessary.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yall just gave Guerilla an idea about a giant Dragonfly/mosquito nanomachine miniboss in HZD3.

But yeah, IIRC one of the early failure points when designing Hades involved what happened if GAIA reseeded things and then realized "oh poo poo, we don't have rhizobia so these crops are all dead".

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

There was a datapoint in the first game about the rewilding process, and it all seems pretty deliberate, with small selections of key species getting introduced at first. And since we're still stuck at that early stage (without APOLLO-educated humans to manually bring back everything else), I doubt dangerous pests are around unless they were absolutely necessary.

That's why there's no dangerous major fauna in the world. The scariest animal is a wild boar, which are no joke for sure, but there aren't any wolves or bears or what have you.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Comedy option: there ARE mosquitoes, but GAIA uses them as a vaccine delivery system

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I could swear I remember a one-off line about how at least the post-ZD humans wouldn't have to worry about infectious diseases. Presumably some new ones have developed in the past 700 years, though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Palmer Luckey has, and always will be, a piece of poo poo. Got fired from Facebook for being a toxic manbaby, and Oculus still hasn't expanded out of its narrow niche. And while Oppenheimer was... complex and problematic, he had charisma and vision for days. Luckey couldn't charm a puppy

Meservey herself is a chronic mouthpiece for evil. She carried Bobby Kotick's water for years; touting weaponized technology is just the next stage of her solipsistic grift

isk fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 29, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i really wish they'd improved the toolkit UX as one of the DLC QoL additions. it'd be much nicer to do the "refill all" at the stash and not have it go "okay here's a bunch of random potions and traps you don't want and weren't previously equipped"

doubly so since if you don't notice you apparently can't just send potions to your stash from wherever, so if you find you've accidentally picked up something you either have to discard it or have it take up space in your pouch until you get back to a stash

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

zoux posted:

This is probably dev oversight rather than Gaias fault, but the pacific coast of HFW is extensively covered by a south african invasive species (Carprobrutus/sour fig/ice plant). As it is in IRL coast of California they modeled after. Also seems like a terribly counter-productive idea to add in boars to your starter kit of otherwise native north american small animals and plants youre hoping to establish

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 29, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
please tell me there's a way to invert the W and S key behaviors for flying mounts and it's not another missing keybind :negative:

e: okay phew there is, it's just inexplicably under "controller" even when you're using m+kb controls

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i really wish they'd improved the toolkit UX as one of the DLC QoL additions. it'd be much nicer to do the "refill all" at the stash and not have it go "okay here's a bunch of random potions and traps you don't want and weren't previously equipped"

doubly so since if you don't notice you apparently can't just send potions to your stash from wherever, so if you find you've accidentally picked up something you either have to discard it or have it take up space in your pouch until you get back to a stash

This is annoying but you can make it easier for yourself by going to your stash and specifically selecting Resources, then hitting "refill all." That way you'll only replenish your crafting resources and berries instead of sucking up every random potion in your inventory.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is there any lore on what happened in the oceans? Did the Faro Swarm suck up all the plankton and so forth?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes, the Faro bots couldn't fly so they literally churned through the ocean gobbling everything up in their path. There's a great datapoint from Zero Dawn about this, I remember the phrase "dolphin chum" popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

General Battuta posted:

Is there any lore on what happened in the oceans? Did the Faro Swarm suck up all the plankton and so forth?
one of the first logs about the beginning of the end in the first one was dolphins getting ground into robofuel, so it probably extends to most biological material that's convertible to biofuel of some sort

e: found the log:

quote:

BANDA SEA INCIDENT

TO: Robert Rescher
SUBJECT: Dolphin Vid

Bob,

Another problem to add to our big steaming pile. Apparently a fisherman in the Banda Sea captured video of a Hartz-Timor Horus unit refueling via biomatter conversion along the shoreline of Pulau Wetar. On a pod of endangered dolphins, no less, quite possibly the last of their kind. Not to get graphic, but it looks like what happens inside a blender, as if the robot was whipping up a big pink swirling milkshake of dolphin chum. Our suppression team has scrubbed it from 43 networks, but it's still propagating, so it's only a matter of time before it goes viral. A prepared statement feels grossly insufficient. Any suggestions? This one's a real stinker.

Stacy Anders
VP/PR FAS

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 29, 2024