Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

IcePhoenix posted:

I brought a sign that said F*** TED FARO to a wrestling PPV does that count

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'd seen banner ads for horizon for a while but a week before it released I finally went and watched a trailer for it and grabbed since I didn't have anything else I wanted to play at the time. One of the best snap gaming decisions I've ever made and I'm gonna no-life the gently caress out of forbidden west.

Need to make space for the mammoth too though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I think we'll find that he lived out his life just fine in his bunker alone but fine, dying of natural causes as an old man. It's the most aggravating (for the audience) end for him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's always hope, maybe one of his sexbots murdered him horribly.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
He probably started a sex cult with a few slaves survivors.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I brought a sign that said F*** TED FARO to a wrestling PPV does that count

I’ll allow it. Bonus points if Maffew actually managed a picture of it to display.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mutata posted:

Yeah, I think we'll find that he lived out his life just fine in his bunker alone but fine, dying of natural causes as an old man. It's the most aggravating (for the audience) end for him.

Doesn't sound like a great ending. The rest of the Alphas were already going squirrelly being cooped up like they were and with the prospect of spending the rest of their lives that way. Doing it alone would suck.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean... Thebes is still out there, somewhere. So presumably we'll find it at some point (see also: Elysium); but how much Ted Faro plays a role from there remains to be seen.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
God drat, thanks for the plot synopses guys! I'd forgotten a lot of the story but reading them gets me pumped up for Forbidden West! Requesting OP links them in the first post, for future reference

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah great plot reviews. I was going to play the game again but honestly don't think I'll have the time and also don't want to go from 1 to 2 lest I wear it out, so thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WHY BONER NOW posted:

God drat, thanks for the plot synopses guys! I'd forgotten a lot of the story but reading them gets me pumped up for Forbidden West! Requesting OP links them in the first post, for future reference

I've added them all to the OP!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lobok posted:

Doesn't sound like a great ending. The rest of the Alphas were already going squirrelly being cooped up like they were and with the prospect of spending the rest of their lives that way. Doing it alone would suck.

"Not a great ending" is the core theme of the Old Ones storylines. Unfairness and tragedy are kind of the point. It contrasts with Aloy fighting for survival and collecting allies and helping to forge relationships among disparate tribes.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 20, 2022

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lobok posted:

Ted didn't go alone. It's mentioned in exactly 1 datapoint but just before the glitch he joined a cult called "Pantah Antimod" and the cult's leader and some of their most loyal subjects were locked in Thebes with him.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That's an anagram for... phat damnation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I love the arc of Frozen Wilds because it’s just so perfectly RPG

“May I go through that door?”

“No, only the chief of the tribe may go through the door.”

*becomes chief of the tribe*

Now may I go through that door?”

“…yes.”

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That whole DLC is good.

"You may be chief of the tribe but just so you know you ain't poo poo and I think of you as such."
- "Glad we had this talk."

Snarky Aloy is so good.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 20, 2022

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I stopped playing the first one partway through because I moved into a new apartment with horrible sun glare. By the time I measured, ordered, and installed blinds I had lost interest. Wondering if I should move on to the sequel and if not, whether I should start over or continue where I left off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ultrachrist posted:

I stopped playing the first one partway through because I moved into a new apartment with horrible sun glare. By the time I measured, ordered, and installed blinds I had lost interest. Wondering if I should move on to the sequel and if not, whether I should start over or continue where I left off.

You have a month. You could start over or continue and you’ll have plenty of time to finish it.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

it's a wonderful game to experience, especially if the sequel is piquing your interest. you could skip the DLC if you're afraid of burnout

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ted didn't go alone. It's mentioned in exactly 1 datapoint but just before the glitch he joined a cult called "Pantah Antimod" and the cult's leader and some of their most loyal subjects were locked in Thebes with him.

Oh, interesting. They aren't mentioned anytime else? Not gonna lie, that seems like it raises the probability of more Faro shenanigans in the new game. Sylens also mentioned something about cryogenics, right?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Jimbot posted:

That whole DLC is good.

"You may be chief of the tribe but just so you know you ain't poo poo and I think of you as such."
- "Glad we had this talk."

Snarky Aloy is so good.

The best part of her character is her steadily ignoring every NPC who tries to hit on her.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lobok posted:

Oh, interesting. They aren't mentioned anytime else? Not gonna lie, that seems like it raises the probability of more Faro shenanigans in the new game. Sylens also mentioned something about cryogenics, right?

Well basically there's a log in the main FAS building that says Ted is shopping around for religions, then when you get to GAIA one of the Alphas mentions that Ted Faro is locked away with "nothing but sex robots and Pantah Antimod weirdoes" Beyond that no, their core tenets or who their founder is goes unmentioned.

If I had to guess just from the name, they're against some kind of body modification either genetic or getting tricked out prosthetics, however "Pantah" doesn't mean anything but the vibe I get from it is vaguely Indian. So my guess is they're some kind of wellness scam that lost the thread when robots ate the world

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do feel like there's no way we avoid finding out something about Ted's final fate, even if it's just him going mad inside his pyramid in a few logs before he died foreve rago, because you need to go there for some special passkey or something.

Gameplay wise I'm most excited about a glider. Love using them in games.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
My only Ted Faro wish is for Aloy to show absolutely zero respect to his corpse. Freshly made corpse, super old corpse, I'm not picky.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

exquisite tea posted:

My bold prediction: Faro will be dead, no clones, no cryo, no take-backsies. As entertaining as it would be to have him survive 1,000 years only for Elisabet's clone to stab him in the dick, I think he got away with it.

My money is on this as well. The Horizon series plays fast and loose with some of its science fiction (in particular, its robots and AIs), but in some other aspects, there are some hard rules set in stone. Namely, no one has survived from the old world, too much time has taken place, there is no way to put together a self-sustaining colony.

Similarly, if any humans have origins in Odyssey/Far Zenith they aren't the original members of the board, they aren't old worlders, they too were decanted from creches just Aloy and the ancestors of the new world. But they have access to an alpha version of APOLLO, which lacks development in the social sciences, so indeed they are fully capable of realizing the worst excesses of humanity with full control of all of the old world's weapons of war.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DarklyDreaming posted:

Well basically there's a log in the main FAS building that says Ted is shopping around for religions, then when you get to GAIA one of the Alphas mentions that Ted Faro is locked away with "nothing but sex robots and Pantah Antimod weirdoes" Beyond that no, their core tenets or who their founder is goes unmentioned.

If I had to guess just from the name, they're against some kind of body modification either genetic or getting tricked out prosthetics, however "Pantah" doesn't mean anything but the vibe I get from it is vaguely Indian. So my guess is they're some kind of wellness scam that lost the thread when robots ate the world

My money on this was that they were neo-luddites who blamed the FARO plague on the general state of 2060s technology, and not on Faro himself. Faro would naturally want to surround himself with people who would give him answers that would flatter him.

It is for this reason that I've been pushing back (on this forum) against the idea that Faro deleted APOLLO for a reason as crass as wanting to hide his complicity. No, the truth is even stranger. Faro, under the influence of these neo-luddites, genuinely believed that he could save the future generations from repeating the mistakes of the old world, the wars, the environmental destruction.

He was absolutely wrong. Humanity has always made war, and without knowledge of the social sciences, are more likely to continue doing so. Humanity has always exploited natural resources without care for sustainability, and without knowledge of HEPHAESTUS's machine's functions, hunters would attack and dismantle them for resources.

Maybe a fully functional APOLLO would not have dampened the worst demons of human nature. Maybe there would have been a new series of world wars in the 2600s, fought with railguns and warbots. But whatever the possibilities, Faro deleting APOLLO guaranteed the rise of blood-soaked empires like the Carja Sundom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Faro definitely allowed himself to be influenced by the Antimod neo-luddites, but he only actively sought out their approval and reassurance after kickstarting the plague that would doom civilization. It became a reactionary and very convenient justification for his individual actions that led to the downfall of humanity -- "It wasn't my fault, anybody in my position would have done it, the technology's to blame." Whether Faro truly believed his own lies or not is tangential, he was always in process of rationalization for his actions.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's this novel, Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, that is about long-abandoned terraforming projects going haywire (specifically one of them where a race of gene-modded spiders becomes sentient and builds a civilisation, it's cool as hell). Anyway there's this part where a human ship visits one of the failed projects, which overlaps with Horizon in a neat way; it presents one of the scenarios where you'd need Hades to step in, which might be what's happening with that red weed in the new game. Anyway:

Tchaikovsky, Adrian. Children of Time. Pan Macmillan UK, 2015 posted:

‘As you know, I have been overseeing a survey of the planet that we are currently in orbit around. It seems unarguable now,’ and she was good enough to throw a tiny nod Holsten’s way, ‘that we have arrived at one of a string of terraforming projects that the Old Empire was pursuing immediately before its dissolution. The previous project we saw was complete, and under a quarantine imposed for unknown purposes by an advanced satellite. As we are discovering, work at our current location appears to have been arrested during the terraforming process itself, and the control facility abandoned. I am aware that Engineering has been undertaking the formidable task of investigating that facility, whilst I have been investigating the planet itself to see if it might serve us in any fashion as a home.’

There was nothing in this clipped, dry delivery to give any clue as to her conclusions, if conclusions there were. This was not showmanship or a desire for suspense, simply that Vitas considered herself a pure scientist first and foremost, and would report positive and negative results with equal candour without judging the value or desirability of the outcome. Holsten was familiar with that particular academic school, which had grown more and more popular towards the end on Earth, as positive results became harder to find.

Vitas looked out over the gathering, and Holsten tried to interpret her expression, her body language, anything to get an idea of where this was going. Do we stay here? Are we heading onwards? Are we going back? That last possibility was his major concern, for he was one of the very small number who had first-hand experience of Kern’s green world.

The screen brightened, grey to grey to grey, and then there was the curve of a dark horizon, and they were now looking at the grey planet.

‘As you’ll have remarked, the surface of this planet seems curiously uniform. Spectrographic analysis, however, shows abundant organic chemistry: all the elements we might need to survive,’ Vitas told them. ‘We dropped a pair of drones as soon as we had established a high orbit. The images that you will be seeing are all taken from drone camera. The colours are the true colours, with no touching-up or artistic licence.’

Holsten wasn’t seeing any colours, unless grey counted, but as sunrise crept across the orb displayed before him he saw contours, shadows: indications of mountains, basins, channels.

‘As you can see, this planet is geologically active, which may have been a prerequisite for the Empire’s terraforming. We don’t know whether this is simply because, of all the Earth-like qualities they wished to find in a new world, that would be the most difficult to fabricate – perhaps outright impossible – or alternatively that they have, indeed, instilled that quality into the planet at an early stage. Hopefully the recovered information from the station will give us an idea of how they went about the process. It is within the bounds of possibility that one day we ourselves may be able to duplicate the feat.’ And there was at least a hint there that Vitas was feeling a little excited by the thought. Holsten was sure her voice lifted a semitone, that one of her eyebrows even twitched.

‘You can see here the drone readings of the basic conditions planetside,’ Vitas continued. ‘So: gravity around eighty per cent of Earth’s, a slow rotation giving around a four-hundred-hour diurnal cycle. Temperature is high, bearable around the poles, survivable in northern latitudes, but probably not within human tolerance towards the equator. You’ll note that oxygen levels are only around five per cent, so no easy home here, I’m afraid. A salutary lesson nonetheless, as you will see.’

The image shifted to a much closer view of the surface, with the drones flying far lower, and a ripple went through the audience; one of bafflement, disquiet. The grey was alive.

The entire surface, as far as the drone camera could register, was covered in a dense interlaced vegetation, grey as ashes. It feathered out into fern-like fronds that arched over each other, spreading hand-like folds to catch the sunlight. It erupted into phallic towers that were warty with buds or fruiting bodies. It covered the mountains to their very tips. It formed a thick, grey fur on every visible surface. The image shifted, and shifted, and Vitas noted different locations, with an inset global map showing where the views were taken from. The details of the view, however, barely changed.

‘What you are looking at is best thought of as a fungus,’ the science chief explained. ‘This solitary species has colonized the entire planet, pole to pole and at every altitude. Scans of the underlying ground – as overlain here – show that the actual topography of the planet is as varied as one might expect of a substitute Earth – there are sea basins but no seas, river valleys but no rivers. Investigation suggests that there is a planet’s worth of water bound up in that organism you see before you. And it may even be a single organism. There’s no obvious division observable. It appears capable of some manner of photosynthesis, despite the colour, but the low oxygen levels suggest this is chemically distinct from anything we’re familiar with. It’s not known whether this pervasive species is somehow an intended part of the terraforming process, or if it was the result of an error, and its irremovable presence led the engineers to abandon their work, or whether it has arisen after that abandonment – the natural by-product of a part-completed job. In any event, I think it safe to say that the stuff is there to stay. This is now its world.’

‘Can it be cleared?’ someone asked. ‘Can we burn it back, or something?’

Vitas’s outward calm had at last been ruffled. ‘Good luck burning anything with that little oxygen,’ she tutted. ‘Besides, I am recommending no further investigation of this planet. By the time we had established the position down there, and conducted some exploratory research, the drones were beginning to show signs of reduced functionality. We kept them going for as long as we were able, but both of them eventually ceased working altogether. The air down there is virtually a spore soup, new fungal colonies looking to sprout on any fresh surface that becomes exposed. Which reminds me, with all the excitement within this system and the last, we need to construct more drones in the workshops once the resources are available. We have very few of them left.’

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kazzah posted:

There's this novel, Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, that is about long-abandoned terraforming projects going haywire (specifically one of them where a race of gene-modded spiders becomes sentient and builds a civilisation, it's cool as hell). Anyway there's this part where a human ship visits one of the failed projects, which overlaps with Horizon in a neat way; it presents one of the scenarios where you'd need Hades to step in, which might be what's happening with that red weed in the new game. Anyway:

This was so engrossing. I want to read the whole thing now! Thank you for posting it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh it's good as hell. There's a sequel, not as good but I'd say it's worth a read too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm really eager to see what the game does with the DualSense controller. I've been playing Ghost of Tsushima and I love the way archery feels. Combat in Zero Dawn felt so satisfying and I hope they take advantage of the controller to make each piece of equipment feel distinct if they can.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think we're going to run into a ted faro clone. Aloy will be tempted to stomp his head in but probably won't because she's a good person. The faro clone will be required to open doors in faro's bunker

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think we're going to run into a ted faro clone. Aloy will be tempted to stomp his head in but probably won't because she's a good person. The faro clone will be required to open doors in faro's bunker

At about 1:30 into the story trailer you can see Aloy and a new companion Alva at a door that looks like the entrance to Thebes. The fact that they conspicuously have not yet mentioned the name of her tribe, that they seem to be familiar with Ted's bunker, and are already equipped with their own Focuses make me think they're connected to Faro somehow.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Having some kind of Zombie/Robo-Ted would be really disappointing. Faro works as a villain because he's untouchable. He already "won" a thousand years ago, all you can do is pick up the pieces.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI22T1CXwR0

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I'll admit, seeing Lance Reddick be genuinely happy to play Sylens made my day :allears:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Laughing that the Carrie-Anne Moss character who looks like Tilda Swinton is named Tilda.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wonder if they tried to get actual tilda first and then didn't change anything after recasting

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

zakharov posted:

Laughing that the Carrie-Anne Moss character who looks like Tilda Swinton is named Tilda.

Tilda Swinton doesn't even often look like Tilda Swinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big fan of Lance “I love to play super smart and complex characters” Reddick, also know for playing “lol so i punched the alien super hard and it exploded being a titan rules” Zavala.