Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The most important part thing from the DLC is obviously Concrete Beach Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Should we all do a prediction on what part, if any, Faro will play? Not like Toxx-level, just an informal poll basically.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think he will be mentioned, especially if Apollo or the Odyssey are not truly gone, but I don't think there is going to be much new in the way of info or revelations concerning him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mutata posted:

Yeah, I think we'll find that he lived out his life just fine in his bunker alone but fine, dying of natural causes as an old man. It's the most aggravating (for the audience) end for him.

Doesn't sound like a great ending. The rest of the Alphas were already going squirrelly being cooped up like they were and with the prospect of spending the rest of their lives that way. Doing it alone would suck.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DarklyDreaming posted:

Ted didn't go alone. It's mentioned in exactly 1 datapoint but just before the glitch he joined a cult called "Pantah Antimod" and the cult's leader and some of their most loyal subjects were locked in Thebes with him.

Oh, interesting. They aren't mentioned anytime else? Not gonna lie, that seems like it raises the probability of more Faro shenanigans in the new game. Sylens also mentioned something about cryogenics, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So I guess you can be prepared but never too prepared if they don't want you having all that capacity on Alot. But they don't want to punish the player who continues to forage, buy, craft that stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m over the whole HZD:FW naming scheme. Frozen Wild. Forbidden West. What’s next?

Next game is going to have a lot of outrageous revelations.

Horizon loving What?!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really appreciate the separation of the Vibration Intensity settings. I'll probably go 0% for Cinematics since that has always annoyed me and probably turn down UI and Traversal quite a bit.

There's one setting near the bottom we don't get a description for from the video called "Turn Off Tinnitus Sounds." I'm guessing there are parts in the game where they use high-pitched tones after an explosion or whatever to sell you on how deafening it was and you can disable that. And I definitely will!

Also,

"Co-Pilot: Turn this feature on to use a second controller with mirrored controls." Interesting. So a two-player single-player game.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't just read the article, lol, where they explain everything.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 10, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BitBasher posted:

Has anyone made a list of all the resources That you shouldn't sell because they can be traded for other resources or used in upgrades but the game does not have them marked as such? Alpha hearts, Pristine skulls, pristine teeth and so on?

Based on bits and pieces of stuff I hear others saying, I've resorted to only selling ancient stuff. The things that are always misidentified like watches being "shiny bracelets" and such.

Ulio posted:

Ya I've seen lots of people say this game rewards hitting weakpoints way more than the first one. I learned this lesson quite quickly on very hard, you don't do enough dmg if you just spam arrows, you have to basically perma concentrate, try hit their weakspots or get chemical reaction which can completely gently caress them up. Exquisite tea also said this but using techniques and valor is on cooldown is really important. There is no cost to it and it regens quickly if you get hunter skills/medicinal skills. You can definitely play like it HZD but encounters take for even longer, enemies are super bullet spongy.

I'm only on Normal difficulty and only around level 18, but it's still kind of shocking how powerful elemental damage is when you do it right. I can one-shot some machines by luring them into a Trap that matches their weakness and triggering the Elemental Damage Valor Surge right before it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mentioned it in the Discord as well but y'know what would have made the combat utterly insane? They've got the Jump Off skill already, and the grapple point leap, right? What if they were combined and you could use an enemy as a grapple point for big air? Take on a flock of Glinthawks using pure aerial combat like it's Web of Shadows, grappling to each one and getting air (and the resulting slow-mo) to fire weapons or Glide, never touching the ground.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not too far into the game but I think lots of weapons works. There are lots of machines and tougher humans and a lot more skills, meaning more playstyle opportunities. And with a big world it's reasonable to expect that not every player is going to scour every inch of the place, so having good weapons options scattered all over the place is good. One player's loadout can be completely different than another's but both can be just as effective.

Edit: I think the merchants in Chainscrape should have said something about not being open. Maybe some do, I forget but the tailor by your Stash was confusing because there's an icon and he's standing there but no prompt so it feels like a bug.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 26, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schnitzler posted:

Today, as I was finishing up the remaining points of interests in the game, I learned that the pullcaster can be used to pull certain lootable containers. Throughout the game I noticed lootable crates in unreachable places, which drove me crazy because must. loot. everything. Now I realize: I was supposed to pullcast those down! So many old watches, metal eyes, and ingots left behind, breaks my heart.

That or Glide. There are a bunch of spots where you can find a higher ledge to glide down from.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fedule posted:

Am I losing my mind or does the "tag component" function do literally nothing? I'm trying to get Storm Cannons for upgrades, and I'm fighting Stormbirds, and there's something on them that's called a Storm Cannon, but I can't tell what it is, or where it is, and tagging it doesn't seem to make anything light up, and besides every time I look at it using the focus half its body lights up orange anyway. Also, using Easy Loot doesn't seem to make it drop them either. Where shoot thing?

When your Focus is active all of their parts will light up orange. If you tag parts then when your Focus is off they'll be purple. Also you can always go into your Notebook if you want a better look at the machine's model.

Not sure about the Cannon dropping. They should be part of the loot if you've got Easy Loot turned on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This thread's just going to be a wall of redactions until I finish the story, lol. And at the pace I'm going that'll be a while. But man, every time I play I'm just taken aback at the acting and animations of everybody. Those guys in the desert above POSEIDON just immediately have so much character, although it was a bit of an odd choice to make that one guy a merchant because he'll be like "We'll all be better off if you just leave us the hell alone!" and then whiplash to "Trade? Sure, I'm always ready to do business! :D "

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like the elemental status Valor Surge, puts status on any machine really quickly especially if you're combining with any Stamina attacks. I'd like to see what it's like fully levelled when you get that explosion from triggering status on a machine. Also want to eventually try out the Chain Damage Valor Surge but it's all the way at the bottom of my least favourite skill tree.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IcePhoenix posted:

The melee combat in this game has improved so much and is much more varied with all the combos I highly recommend people give it a shot.

Obviously I don't use it against bigger enemies but anything that's not the size of a small building I'm more than happy to just pull out the spear and just start whackin'. Once you start learning the tells so you can dodge out of the way of their attacks you can pretty much avoid taking any damage at all.

You can still use it against bigger enemies, just either have to anticipate their attacks better or disable them first. Frost bombs are always great and I'm loving the new Adhesive status for that, too. Once your melee skill tree has got some of the bottom filled out you can combo your way to a Resonator Blast pretty quickly for big damage.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IcePhoenix posted:

maybe I'll try it next time I just always seem to get owned by something that I can't figure out how to dodge. When you say bombs do you mean from the blast sling or traps? I actually haven't used the sling because I haven't found one that I really like element-wise but I know I want to give it a shot because I used it a lot in HZD.

I was thinking sling but traps too, yeah. I've got Advanced Acid, Purgewater, and Shock Traps that give me options against quite a few enemies. I have Frost on a Warrior Bow and a Boltblaster and those can inflict Frozen status fast too without needing much aim or needing to be too close.

The one main drawback (ha) of slings is the time it takes to hold R2 to get a good trajectory but that's part of why the first Weapon Stamina move for slings is good because if you're farther away you'd normally need to pullback all the way but with that move it works to your advantage to be farther away and just tap R1 because you'll get the low trajectory for bouncing along the ground (assuming there's not much uneven ground or stuff in the way and you don't need to lead your target much).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It doesn't work the opposite way?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Wait you have to charge it? Maybe I'm using it wrong because it only does like 20 damage.

The one you get from a certain pyromaniac should be doing 90 at minimum, with the base impact of 20 + the explosive damage of 70.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FrickenMoron posted:

Don't invest too much into greenshine weapons. Theres only enough slabs to upgrade one or maybe two at most.

Pick one and stick with it

Well that's definitely something good to know ahead of time. Now to hope I haven't already spent too much greenshine...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, I consider this a major flaw. I spend several slabs upgrading a bow I don't even use anymore because I didn't know it was a finite resource. I don't seem to have enough near the end of the game to upgrade the bows I do want to use.

I need at least 5 more slabs just for the weapons I'm holding and I've already spent I think 5. Not even counting other weapons I don't have yet.

I guess the only hope would be an eventual NG+ that resets the map for collecting the greenshine again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ytlaya posted:

When I fought the first one I thought "aha, the perfect moment to use my Shredder Gauntlet's tear ammo!" and proceeded to shoot the clamps a bunch, which did jack poo poo (I broke a couple, but in the end it went down from raw damage long before I could get its shell off). I don't get why the tear ammo from a weapon literally called "Shredder Gauntlet" is so underwhelming at what should presumably be its main purpose.

Shredder was never all that good at killing turtles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I skimmed the article because I don't want to be spoiled but it didn't seem like it touched on a major point and that's authority or power structures. How much of Aloy's frustration is purely scoffing at someone else's beliefs and how much of it is her disgust and horror at seeing beliefs and traditions that hold people back or outright endanger them? Beliefs and traditions wielded by leaders?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 2, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's...

the pits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I'm shooting it with the eletric warrior bow. My problem is that the robots are not grouping up so that I can hit them with the blast.

That one felt like it relied on luck more than the others but it helps to group enemies together if you have any traps or weapons to slow/stop some machines near each other.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The climbing would be a lot better if Aloy didn't have such a pause before pulling herself up onto anything. It's long enough that it seems like the game is either waiting for additional input or missed it. Especially when you grapplehook to a ledge or point and I'm just like "c'mon c'mon" everytime.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UP AND ADAM posted:

About halfway into the game I remembered/relearned that you can press Circle when you get to grapple points and she'll do a batman fling into the air, which is usually faster than waiting for her to pullup. So remember that. But yeah there are weird stilted pauses sometimes that make no sense.

I do enjoy that and use it often but there are lots of times when it's not the right move. Definitely wished it worked more like Batman though where the zipping to a point and then launching from it was much faster and more seamless. And for Batman you didn't usually need specific points but could target anywhere along the lip or edge of a higher level and it would work. Which leads to

exquisite tea posted:

My only complaint about the climbing is that I wish there were about 150% more grapple points everywhere.

This as well. It reminds me of the rifts in the latest Ratchet & Clank. An awesome new game mechanic but it's only available in particular combat encounters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Machine attacks seem to have a narrow window for avoiding them, and combined with the animation and distance travelled for the dodge roll you either need to be very deliberate with your dodges like Aloy has a stamina meter or you need to be sprinting around so that you can do a slide.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ulio posted:

Day 12 still looking for blue jay feathers. I can only find boars.

I remember seeing Jays near the start of the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I decided to skip a bunch of stuff and head way out west just for the hell of it. Venture into the unknown since the map was all uncovered. "Come out to the coast, have a few laughs..."

And man, I haven't been to a merchant yet to verify but I think the mission for Demeter and the area around "her" might have made me rich? The supply caches are top tier. The game even has a special sound even if you weren't looking to tell you you got some good poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Bidness posted:

I did the same thing because after the winning the first Gauntlet Race you get a quest marker with a map path all the way on the west coast. I had to avoid maybe 3 or 4 fights, but it was a pretty easy trek. So I've barely touched blue equipment, I went straight for the purples at Thormarsh.

I went there after I read your post and wow, yeah. They've got purples and Legendaries. Not that I can afford the latter yet, gotta find those Apex machines. And great armours as well.

The smaller settlement Tidesreach or something like that a bit north up the coast from there has decent stuff as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, the skill tree is even bigger than I thought! There are all the obvious skills you can put points to but now that I'm paying more attention to better armours there are also perks you can't get without wearing them, like "Evader." It gives you more dodge rolls before stumbling.

I know exquisite tea posted someone's vid earlier about how that one Tenakth armour makes you an OP machine summoner but I'm not clear on whether that armour has unique perks or it just ("just") hugely boosts stuff on the skill tree.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And whenever Sun King Avad talks I'm always like "oh right, Spider-Man's in this" (Josh Keaton).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread yet but a reminder you can use your pullcaster to bring chests to you. Don't always have to find a way up or over to them. Sometimes they'll be in a little space with a door partially open, you can pull them close enough to the door to loot them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah my go to tactic last game was to detach weapons then kill the creature with their own weapon and now that's not really a viable option anymore. Especially with Ravagers. I had a fight with two ravagers and it took forever to kill them.

It's still viable but it's not as easily accessible an option considering the pool of weapons and skills in the last game was a lot shallower. You could expect every player to have decent Tearblast gear. In this game it may rely more on how you've specced Aloy for battle in terms of weapons, Stamina attacks, and Valor. Like I've got a purple bow with OG Tearblast arrows and if I use Sharpshooter Double Notch, and especially if I use the first Valor Surge from the MM skill tree, any enemy's weapon is coming off quickly. Couple that with points in the Heavy Weapon skills and you can give machines a taste of their own medicine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The one enemy weapon I don't get is the Shellsnapper's. I tried using it yesterday and it was a short-range spray that keeps peppering the enemy with lots of hits for... 6 damage? Felt like huge risk to have to get close for low reward. I feel like I'm missing something about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cactus posted:

My main complaint is pretty minor and IMO easily fixed. FIX THE CLIMING!

This has been solved, years ago, in multiple ways, by others. Just swallow your goddamn pride and copy one of their ideas, or take climbing out completely. Do one or the other, and don't look back. I got to a cave today that had a way up highlighted by those yellow climb-marks. I couldn't get up there for the life of me because of how clumsy the climbing system is in this game. It's seriously just trash and gently caress and poo poo and dumb. Like, it's the worst. You click the square button to climb, and it doesn't work or it puts you to a place you don't want to go. You try the circle button which is the disengage from this surface button. You end up clinging to somewhere you don't want or falling off completely. I'll never know what is up there (it was probably just a chest with a bunch of stash-fodder but man, not the point) because I can't climb up despite the yellow markings saying I should be able to.

lol, unless there's more than one (god I hope not) I encountered this cave tonight as well. Not that it would have helped you because I tried everything but Circle is the jump-off-to-a-ledge-behind-you button. Square is the one for letting go and falling.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The charge-up for the Power Attack (hold R2) also persists through a dodge roll. So you can charge it up with a bit of distance between you and the target and then close the distance with a roll and unleash the attack or wait for them to attack you to dodge and counter with it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Cool yeah this is the very first one with you having to hit 3 resonator blasts while the guy is just standing totally still. I kind of just am not very good at video game stuff like this.

If it helps, you only need a full draw of a bow for full accuracy. Whenever a thing you want to hit is as big or bigger than your circular reticule you don't have to draw further, unless you want Overdraw damage.

If you're close to a target then even a light draw should be accurate enough (meaning your reticule should be small enough) to hit the Resonator spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

She may have done the voice a little lower and raspier so that she could do Beta a bit lighter.