Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Ananthem was so good. I want more poo poo about colleges turning themselves into walled city states and leaving the world to burn.

in the grimdark future, there is only grad school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Anathem was great to read multiple times because the setting is so out there and unique that you’re like what is happening which was fun. Second read through you know plot points and can notice all the little nuggets you missed, just as enjoyable.

Third and forth read throughs a were a bit disconcerting because I noticed differences, characters were gone and the plot was altered, also certain foods tasted funny now? Also didn’t Nelson Mandela die years ago? Now he was prime minister?? I don’t remember that happening haha. Good book still.

by my fifth read through I realized that matter is just energy and then the pages started glowing and the government started asking me a lot of questions, a great star in the sky has MYSTERIOUS PORTENTS THEY ARE WATCHING WE MUST SIGNALL THEM THE KNOÖNS ARE COMING THE KNÖÔNS ARE COMING ALL IS LOST

naem
May 29, 2011

Bobcats posted:

Every Neal Stephenson book has a sex scene so bad it makes me wonder if it’s an in-joke he has with his fans.

most (all?) of his protagonists are a bland everyman guy who gets a job at a tech firm of some sort and then witnesses zany sci if things happening beyond their control

the prot character is like a witness to the action and not necessarily the most interesting character, just in the right place at the right/wrong time for STUFF TO HAPPEN AROUND

I imagine this what how Neil himself has felt at some point in life and it’s actually a pretty good form of self insert

the sex scenes imo are those told from the viewpoint of, some guy, with a pretty good tech job, he fell into, and sexy techno-lady shows up and he’s like “what is happening naked lady omg” and it’s kinda actually nice and realistic to how nerds experience life, at least ones who fall into some money accidentally which I expect Mr. Stephenson knows a thing or two about