Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Seveneves put me off ever reading his poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Aardvark! posted:

I liked it except the whole last part of the book

That was when it started to get good! And then it just stopped!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really hated everything with fake Neil DeGrasse Tyson and especially after Actual Murderer Hillary Clinton got on the spaceship until they jumped 5000 years in the future or whatever.

Also wasn't it weird that there were mermaids?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also one of the main characters is NDT, and another is basically Hillary Clinton, and she shoots a lady to death when she's breaking into the space station.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember The Cobweb being the better of the two books he wrote with his father in law, but that's not super high praise.

Never read zodiac or big u, I'm only really aware of them from the lists in the back of his other books.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Anathem rules very hard. Some of the math monks do martial arts which they call vale-lore and someone digs a little hole and then shits into it because they think the food they ate was from a different universe. Also near the end they get high on the air from a different universe and start skipping through different possible realities until they get one where they win.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Spook Country is alright, I was a bit annoyed that he wrote a sequel to Pattern Recognition that didn't have any of the main characters from that book, but PR had resolved Cayce's story enough that returning to her aside from her appearance in Zero History would have felt cheap. I also like the similarities between the Blue Ant books and the Bridge books, with exploring augmented reality and drones, and similarities between Milgram and Laney.

I like pretending that Spook Country's old man is Cayce's father, but I guess you're supposed to do that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I liked Pattern Recognition a bunch and got like, 15 pages in to Spook Country before losing all interest for whatever reason

Yeah, I bounced off it a few times, but I think it's worth taking another shot at if you liked Pattern Recognition. It's barely a sequel, the only real connective tissue is Hubertus, but I think it's an appropriate continuation of looking at the zeitgeist of that very stupid decade.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

precision posted:

i did appreciate that in the end the entire plot of Spook Country is people fighting over the possession of literally nothing

apt

I like that Zero History has a t shirt so ugly cameras are incapable of recalling anything wearing it and that one of the mcguffins is unrelated bad fashion.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

nonathlon posted:

I thought that was explicit, although it may only have been explicit in prepublicity not the book itself.

I don't remember it being explicit in the text, but I didn't follow the marketing at all.

nonathlon posted:

Remembered that Zero History is about people fighting over a set of jeans, ffs

Kind of? I seem to remember most of the fighting was over the bootleg military fashion, even if what's-her-name's overall mission is the jeans.

Whatever though the first book is about hunting down a more pretentious marble hornets over a web forum.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Are they doing a seveneves show? The only ways I could ever see that working are if you either ignore the first 80% of the book and only focus on the future stuff, if you change it so drastically that it has almost no connection to the book, or if you do some funky present/future editing so you eventually get to the point where you understand where these insane future freaks can came from.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Combine cryptonomicon with the baroque cycle, plan for like 8 seasons and intersperse all the different time periods.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Anathem ends with Raz's spasming body being used as a vibrator.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Either way though, Stephenson didn't have anything on King for weird unnecessary sex in his books

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gaben's gonna play Dodge in the reamde show next. And for the baroque cycle? That's right, they actually got sir Isaac Newton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's something like he's coming back from whatever suspended state he's in and his body starts to spasm (too cold? I forget) and the girl climbs on top of him to help him like stop shaking? I guess? And then the text says something about how "and then that led to quite a bit more happening that I'm not going to get into anyway we're a thing now."