Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Poopernickel posted:

from urban dictionary:

you're going to have a better time using parental educational website kids n clicks dot com

or 5 minutes on tiktok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ADINSX posted:

that sure is something

still waiting for your entry to catch on in popular use

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catch%2014

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i remember when the idea of hispsters really hit the mainstream and there was a thing on BBC radio where old people argued about what the term meant and eventually concluded it meant "people who dress like victorian circus strongmen"

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Poopernickel posted:

is the concept dead, or do the youngs just have a different word now?

probably dead. shivering with outrage is the new liking things ironically

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

thinkpads

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

rotor posted:

still waiting for your entry to catch on in popular use

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catch%2014

oh god that takes me back, I think I wrote that on my university of oregon work computer when I was at their network security center

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

chaosbreather posted:

I actually patreonise some guys who have made a pretty good uxn tutorial series and a book and a YouTube, I recommend you check it out

the way I was leaning it before was implementing my own VM and compiler in Swift which was really fun but I got a bunch of stuff wrong because the docs are super terse and I had to revert to the source code and asking the creator questions.

Yea I started doing my own interpreter and terse is about right! Fascinating opcode structure though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

i remember when the idea of hispsters really hit the mainstream and there was a thing on BBC radio where old people argued about what the term meant and eventually concluded it meant "people who dress like victorian circus strongmen"

lol

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

ideapads

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

typescript is the current hipste?

yeah it is

it’s also pee good imho

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we can’t all be cool. i will bear this burden for you, yospos

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
typescript is pretty strong

until it compiles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that a font

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

MS briefly had a ‘hey maybe they are good now’ period around the time o365 and windows 10 launched, roughly around that time they also made vscode (a great IDE) and created a language called typescript which is basically javascript with strict type checking. it compiles and deploys to javascript so you can run it in lots of places: it’s very nice to work in

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gentle Autist posted:

MS briefly had a ‘hey maybe they are good now’ period around the time o365 and windows 10 launched, roughly around that time they also made vscode (a great IDE) and created a language called typescript which is basically javascript with strict type checking. it compiles and deploys to javascript so you can run it in lots of places: it’s very nice to work in

google did the same thing with closure, and macromedia did the same thing with actionscript, typescript aint special

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm working on some typescript node stuff atm and it's just not clear why would you do this instead of just using any of the better language/environment/tooling/ecosystems that are available

like it probably makes sense for your web client or whatever where your options are all horrible but for server stuff it's just bonkers, so this is probably more of a complaint about node than typescript specifically

on the plus side the work is mainly replacing and bulk deleting the typescript so it's very satisfying

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

excuse me, some of us are too stupid/stubborn to know any better languages ok

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

google did the same thing with closure, and macromedia did the same thing with actionscript, typescript aint special

well, compared to those, typescript does have the advantage of not being a lisp while also still existing

e: gently caress, closure != clojure. hot take destroyed

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 23, 2022

matti
Mar 31, 2019

rust into wasm

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

matti posted:

rust into wasm

wasm still aint quite there. but i am counting the days.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

What is the appeal of VSCode over VS? I tried VSCode and got pretty mad at computers about it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

vscode is total poo poo but it seems incredible to linux users cause its working text editor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also typescript sucks because it requires node to use

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What is the appeal of VSCode over VS? I tried VSCode and got pretty mad at computers about it.

much lighter weight, equivalent functionality for not-.NET-languages.

e: including Visual C++ as a .NET language3 here. if you use Visual C unironically you have way worse problems to deal with.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it? I remember last time I used it, I basically gave it all of 20 minutes before I realized that I couldn't just see references to methods, and I basically just wrote it off completely when I couldn't F12 to a definition. Besides that, managing a project of any scope seems to be nightmare fuel inspired by Python's worst tendencies. Maybe this has been addressed, but goddamn, I felt a lot like I was in Notepad++ and less like I was in an IDE.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Is it? I remember last time I used it, I basically gave it all of 20 minutes before I realized that I couldn't just see references to methods, and I basically just wrote it off completely when I couldn't F12 to a definition. Besides that, managing a project of any scope seems to be nightmare fuel inspired by Python's worst tendencies. Maybe this has been addressed, but goddamn, I felt a lot like I was in Notepad++ and less like I was in an IDE.

what language? i suspect either the support for it was immature when you tried it or there was an extension you needed to install (or both)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DaTroof posted:

what language? i suspect either the support for it was immature when you tried it or there was an extension you needed to install (or both)

Probably Python. This was a couple years ago at this point.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nah, your experience is accurate. linuxes are just so loving bad when it comes to quality software that something barely competent like vscode is a revelation to linux users.

the competitors to vscode are things like vim and emacs and xcode, not VS

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i dont have a problem generally when i use the python extension, it sucks but you might have to janitor it a bit if you're not getting the autocomplete etc you'd expect

Shaggar posted:

nah, your experience is accurate. linuxes are just so loving bad when it comes to quality software that something barely competent like vscode is a revelation to linux users.

the competitors to vscode are things like vim and emacs and xcode, not VS

no, the competitor to vscode is jetbrains' solution to a particular framework.

e: and sublime text i guess but vs code really ended that battle lol

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I learned about zig thanks to this thread and it seems really cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

no, the competitor to vscode is jetbrains' solution to a particular framework.

e: and sublime text i guess but vs code really ended that battle lol

there are 2 types of people doing development on linuxes: those who cant afford good software and those trapped in osx for ios development. the former cant afford jetbrains because if they could they'd be using windows and vs/.net. the later idk what they use beyond xcode. does jetbrains do ios dev stuff? i havent paid attention to anything they make since microsoft killed resharper with vs 2015.

lol @ sublime text tho. always funny to see people paying money for what amounts to windows freeware.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh i guess there are java devs on linux too but we dont need to talk about them

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

im a .net dev on linux ama

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hosed up if true

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

im a .net dev on linux ama

yikes

e: I mean, I target linux with Core and all that, but you can pry Visual Studio from my cold dead hands

ee: Also, if Visual Studio ever loving becomes an electron piece of poo poo because cross platform, I'ma be super loving pissed.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Language support is usually based on installing modules. Python was definitely well supported 2+ years ago, and it would have understood python symbols so you could do intellisesne stuff, but you woulda had to install the module and maybe do some light janitoring to get it all going

VS is really nice too, no shade from me there

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yikes

e: I mean, I target linux with Core and all that, but you can pry Visual Studio from my cold dead hands

ee: Also, if Visual Studio ever loving becomes an electron piece of poo poo because cross platform, I'ma be super loving pissed.

visual studio is only 'as good' as jetbrains rider imho nowadays. i dont use all the memory profiling features anymore to be fair.

but lol, lmao if you use windows' docker to loving spin up your services and poo poo.
e: fwiw i love visual studio too, but competition is really catching up if it hasnt already caught up

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Gentle Autist posted:

Language support is usually based on installing modules. Python was definitely well supported 2+ years ago, and it would have understood python symbols so you could do intellisesne stuff, but you woulda had to install the module and maybe do some light janitoring to get it all going

yeah, that's been my experience. sometimes it takes a little tweaking, but i've gotten vscode to support python, ruby, javascript/typescript, elixir, php, and c

although...

quote:

VS is really nice too, no shade from me there

i still use vs on occasion because there's no fuckin way i want to do .net stuff in anything else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs 2022 writes your code for you now. its amazing how good the "AI" suggestions are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is vim still the hipste editor? that whole thing was lol as hell