Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I mean, I still use it so yeah probably. It's fun to use.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Lady Radia posted:

wasm still aint quite there. but i am counting the days.

wasm + wasi will replace docker if wasi ever becomes a real thing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lady Radia posted:

no, the competitor to vscode is jetbrains' solution to a particular framework.

e: and sublime text i guess but vs code really ended that battle lol

yeah, as a webstorm replacement it's fine for peeping a jsx or whatever

the big sell for us is it's a good free editor made by a big company and it runs on all the major platforms. it became a default app in our dev system images in the last two years, replacing notepad++ and polite shrugs if you weren't on windows

if anyone needs more all the regular players are available

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
the text editor wars are now between kate and geany

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

vs 2022 writes your code for you now. its amazing how good the "AI" suggestions are.

This poo poo is actually uncanny. I'm stunned at how much I end up using the suggestion, and I'm stunned at how accurate it is.

I really, really wish it was good at MVVM WPF boilerplate though (it is not). I'm really sick of writing this poo poo

code:
        private String _foo;
        public String Foo
        {
            get { return _foo; }
            set { SetProperty(ref _foo, value); }
        }

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 23, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think what makes it work is they've limited the scope to high confidence suggestions to prevent people from getting frustrated and turning it off. it very rarely suggests something wrong and even then its still something that makes sense in context. i havent seen it suggest outright garbage at all.

my guess is once people are satisfied with the basics they'll start training it on more complex templates. similar to your mvvm example, I spent the last 2 weeks writing JsonProperty over and over and it never tried helping with that.

some of the suggestions have been nuts though. like seemingly it had no context at all and then gave me the exact statement i was gonna type and i have no idea how it did it. it has to be getting some context clues from your overall project and project type, but even then a few of the suggestions seemed like straight up mind reading.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
idk, maybe that poo poo'll get better, but my experience has been that lsp and domain-specific intellisense is way more useful than ai-based helpers like copilot or whatever

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

seriously, in the few projects where i tried copilot, it made terrible suggestions

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i was in the beta tests and i eventually turned it completely off because it was loving up my day jobs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah everything i saw wrt copilot was trash which makes the VS stuff even more surprising. i imagine that using a real language like c# instead of a toy p-lang helps a bunch.

the VS stuff is more like next level intellisense rather than copilot which seems to be "idk, copy random poo poo from github into your code".

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Shaggar posted:

yeah everything i saw wrt copilot was trash which makes the VS stuff even more surprising. i imagine that using a real language like c# instead of a toy p-lang helps a bunch.

the VS stuff is more like next level intellisense rather than copilot which seems to be "idk, copy random poo poo from github into your code".

c# is thoroughly defined. vs integrates with it absolutely completely. we can fight about how well vscode does the same thing with other languages, on some levels it's p good, but one thing i'll absolutely scream is that copilot tries to use ai to reach that level of understanding with p-langs and fails miserably

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

there's something bad to be said about a tool that suggests code that fails to compile, compared to a tool that at the very least knows not to suggest code that fails to compile

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m not surprised that c# developers can easily be replaced by ai

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I once read a book on c# because I wanted to be a dev

but I didn’t

now im next to worthless god drat I wish I wrote code

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just do the javascript maze on the back of the cereal box and get a job making react apps. like me! :shepspends: you don't even need to finish the maze!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

i’m not surprised that c# developers can easily be replaced by ai

loving lol if you think any developer is spending the majority of their time solving real problems

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

AI is very good at generating mindless repetitive boilerplate code so it's a great fit for C#

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
hipsters write fortran with their portable keypunches in coffee shops and call a pager number to have a courier come get the card deck and run it on a 1401 emulated on a pi and then bring them the greenbar and output deck back to wherever they happen to be 8 hours later.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
oh this? it's just my abacus. yeah you probably haven't heard of it before

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
{one, two, many} are enough integers for anyone

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

fresh_cheese posted:

{one, two, many} are enough integers for anyone

"According to Everett in 1986, Pirahã has words for 'one' (hói) and 'two' (hoí), distinguished only by tone. In his 2005 analysis, however, Everett said that Pirahã has no words for numerals at all, and that hói and hoí actually mean "small quantity" and "larger quantity"."

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Buck Turgidson posted:

oh this? it's just my abacus. yeah you probably haven't heard of it before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetVWSsj77M

good channel btw

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Progressive JPEG posted:

i'm working on some typescript node stuff atm and it's just not clear why would you do this instead of just using any of the better language/environment/tooling/ecosystems that are available

like it probably makes sense for your web client or whatever where your options are all horrible but for server stuff it's just bonkers, so this is probably more of a complaint about node than typescript specifically

on the plus side the work is mainly replacing and bulk deleting the typescript so it's very satisfying

there honestly isn't a business case for writing server software in anything except javascript/typescript.

1. if you write reasonably complex things for the web you have to know javascript. even if you use a fancy dan transpilation language like elm or clojurescript or whatever you still gotta know the underlying js or you are in for a world of hurt and you can't use anyone else's poo poo

2. if you want your cool react web app to work properly for crawlers you need to do universal rendering, so the server has to do javascript anyway

3. backends are just a thin, easy layer of glue between your front end, totally managed PaaSes, auth providers and hosted serverless databases/document stores so it's insane to break out another language for that anyway. edge compute is amazing now, essentially a bit of browser that you can trust. and a lot of the time you can eliminate backend code entirely

4. why would you make it so any percentage of your team couldn't work on any part of the project, because:

5. if you can get, effectively, a mid-level full stack engineer for the price (and ubiquity) of a javascript developer you would be a raving madman not to

i hate it, really, i like being a polyglot and i keep going at work 'hey wow elixir is really cool and performant' and 'rust sure has a lot of people who are in to it hey' and they're like ahahah yeah get back to typescripting. and they're right

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

fresh_cheese posted:

hipsters write fortran with their portable keypunches in coffee shops and call a pager number to have a courier come get the card deck and run it on a 1401 emulated on a pi and then bring them the greenbar and output deck back to wherever they happen to be 8 hours later.

i unironically want this so loving bad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

there honestly isn't a business case for writing server software in anything except javascript/typescript.

1. if you write reasonably complex things for the web you have to know javascript. even if you use a fancy dan transpilation language like elm or clojurescript or whatever you still gotta know the underlying js or you are in for a world of hurt and you can't use anyone else's poo poo

2. if you want your cool react web app to work properly for crawlers you need to do universal rendering, so the server has to do javascript anyway

3. backends are just a thin, easy layer of glue between your front end, totally managed PaaSes, auth providers and hosted serverless databases/document stores so it's insane to break out another language for that anyway. edge compute is amazing now, essentially a bit of browser that you can trust. and a lot of the time you can eliminate backend code entirely

4. why would you make it so any percentage of your team couldn't work on any part of the project, because:

5. if you can get, effectively, a mid-level full stack engineer for the price (and ubiquity) of a javascript developer you would be a raving madman not to

i hate it, really, i like being a polyglot and i keep going at work 'hey wow elixir is really cool and performant' and 'rust sure has a lot of people who are in to it hey' and they're like ahahah yeah get back to typescripting. and they're right
oh okay well the project isn't a web backend so

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

"but doctor," the patient sobbed, "i work for the paas provider!"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

chaosbreather posted:

Ah, the Joker to shaggar’s .batman

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

chaosbreather posted:

so do you do anything except build crud apis or

e: this sounds meaner than i meant it to im sorry

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

loving lul

God forbid you want anything to be performant ever for any reason

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

loving lul

God forbid you want anything to be performant ever for any reason

thats not really the lul imo but theres plenty to go around

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm trying to think how much money you'd have to pay me to write JS ever again. the number is probably north of 500k. i wouldn't do a very good job either.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

i'm trying to think how much money you'd have to pay me to write JS ever again. the number is probably north of 500k. i wouldn't do a very good job either.

as OP mentioned, using js to write servers is a strategy to "save money" by having your entry-level javascript-only developers try their hand at more expensive server dev using a runtime and ecosystem that's designed for web browsers

so its pretty much mutually exclusive with employers that would rather save money by paying 500k for experienced devs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

as OP mentioned, using js to write servers is a strategy to "save money" by having your entry-level javascript-only developers try their hand at more expensive server dev using a runtime and ecosystem that's designed for web browsers

so its pretty much mutually exclusive with employers that would rather save money by paying 500k for experienced devs

the joke is that fronted development is just as demanding as backend development if not more so

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

akadajet posted:

the joke is that fronted development is just as demanding as backend development if not more so

yeah

and backend people like to pretend this isn't true for :smug: reasons imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if all you're doing is maintaining a crud app that serves 5 qps then using javascript is probably a fine way to save money since that kind of thing is pretty much a solved problem in any language, so it doesn't hurt to just use what the entry-level javascript-only devs that you exclusively hire already know

but it quickly falls apart for the project when you get out of the world of trivial crud apps. suddenly your entry-level devs are faced with having to reinvent, debug, and maintain things that have already been done better in langs/runtimes/ecosystems, ultimately taking more time than just using the right tools for the job

but giving your developers the opportunity to learn the right tools and practices would mean that suddenly they aren't entry-level anymore and can move on to someplace that's less stingy, and who would want that?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

akadajet posted:

yeah totally, but that's different from requiring that everyone only learn and use a single tool for everything, regardless of whether it's appropriate. i don't think that an entire company needs to be e.g. using server tools to build their UIs either. i think a better model is to just pick suitable tools that match requirements, and to hire based on ability to learn

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Progressive JPEG with the good posts

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

posts like once a month but they're always bangers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Did you know? Progressive JPEG's avatar is actually a gif

Adbot