Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i assume hipsters are still using ruby because literally no one under 40 thinks of themselves as a hipster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Poopernickel posted:

is the concept dead, or do the youngs just have a different word now?

probably dead. shivering with outrage is the new liking things ironically

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

ideapads

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

google did the same thing with closure, and macromedia did the same thing with actionscript, typescript aint special

well, compared to those, typescript does have the advantage of not being a lisp while also still existing

e: gently caress, closure != clojure. hot take destroyed

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 23, 2022

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is it? I remember last time I used it, I basically gave it all of 20 minutes before I realized that I couldn't just see references to methods, and I basically just wrote it off completely when I couldn't F12 to a definition. Besides that, managing a project of any scope seems to be nightmare fuel inspired by Python's worst tendencies. Maybe this has been addressed, but goddamn, I felt a lot like I was in Notepad++ and less like I was in an IDE.

what language? i suspect either the support for it was immature when you tried it or there was an extension you needed to install (or both)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Gentle Autist posted:

Language support is usually based on installing modules. Python was definitely well supported 2+ years ago, and it would have understood python symbols so you could do intellisesne stuff, but you woulda had to install the module and maybe do some light janitoring to get it all going

yeah, that's been my experience. sometimes it takes a little tweaking, but i've gotten vscode to support python, ruby, javascript/typescript, elixir, php, and c

although...

quote:

VS is really nice too, no shade from me there

i still use vs on occasion because there's no fuckin way i want to do .net stuff in anything else

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

idk, maybe that poo poo'll get better, but my experience has been that lsp and domain-specific intellisense is way more useful than ai-based helpers like copilot or whatever

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

seriously, in the few projects where i tried copilot, it made terrible suggestions

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

i was in the beta tests and i eventually turned it completely off because it was loving up my day jobs

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Shaggar posted:

yeah everything i saw wrt copilot was trash which makes the VS stuff even more surprising. i imagine that using a real language like c# instead of a toy p-lang helps a bunch.

the VS stuff is more like next level intellisense rather than copilot which seems to be "idk, copy random poo poo from github into your code".

c# is thoroughly defined. vs integrates with it absolutely completely. we can fight about how well vscode does the same thing with other languages, on some levels it's p good, but one thing i'll absolutely scream is that copilot tries to use ai to reach that level of understanding with p-langs and fails miserably

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

there's something bad to be said about a tool that suggests code that fails to compile, compared to a tool that at the very least knows not to suggest code that fails to compile

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

there honestly isn't a business case for writing server software in anything except javascript/typescript.

1. if you write reasonably complex things for the web you have to know javascript. even if you use a fancy dan transpilation language like elm or clojurescript or whatever you still gotta know the underlying js or you are in for a world of hurt and you can't use anyone else's poo poo

2. if you want your cool react web app to work properly for crawlers you need to do universal rendering, so the server has to do javascript anyway

3. backends are just a thin, easy layer of glue between your front end, totally managed PaaSes, auth providers and hosted serverless databases/document stores so it's insane to break out another language for that anyway. edge compute is amazing now, essentially a bit of browser that you can trust. and a lot of the time you can eliminate backend code entirely

4. why would you make it so any percentage of your team couldn't work on any part of the project, because:

5. if you can get, effectively, a mid-level full stack engineer for the price (and ubiquity) of a javascript developer you would be a raving madman not to

i hate it, really, i like being a polyglot and i keep going at work 'hey wow elixir is really cool and performant' and 'rust sure has a lot of people who are in to it hey' and they're like ahahah yeah get back to typescripting. and they're right

"but doctor," the patient sobbed, "i work for the paas provider!"

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Gentle Autist posted:

Progressive JPEG with the good posts

rotor posted:

Did you know? Progressive JPEG's avatar is actually a gif

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

yeah for recruiting it's actually better to do something a bit weird and cool like elixir because you only get people who really know their poo poo and you can probably pay them much less

ime experience you'll actually pay them more, but you'll also get people who know their poo poo

chaosbreather posted:

in the business case it matters a lot. big number going up is a massive difference on paper to slightly less big number plateauing or going down. i can crush someone's dreams into pieces with slightly less big number going down on a google slide

stop being weird

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

an argument for what? what is it that you think i am arguing? i am saying it is bad how difficult it is to form a business case to use anything other than typescript.

hahahahahahaha

i actually like typescript, and that statement is hilarious to me

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

me too and me too

how so the latter? are you saying you can't find jobs that aren't full-stack js/ts? because i guarantee that's a personal problem and not an industry-wide fact

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

finding a job? what

explain yourself

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

after that edit about project owners, yeah, i think i know what you mean

but i never disagreed that a lot of failures choose their tech stacks poorly

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

more than this – we have to win work, right, with competing proposals. typescript has a ton of factors – all those loving words i wrote – that you can just use to tear any other non-typescript proposal apart, it's like a nuke. you can only fight it with other teams doing it faster or better.

this is a weird argument. i guess you mean, if you're making a greenfield app, nothing else but typescript makes sense?

eh, never mind. this conversation is weird. you're weird.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

i feel pretty confident i could do the same thing with any other modern language given the same audience but sure ok

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

finally, awesome. please give me one that would convince my boss. i feel like i've tried everything.

it sounds like the problem is not what the best technology is, but who your boss is

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

chaosbreather posted:

looks like you've only read about a third of the things i wrote if you're there. i sympathise

have you seen some of the blocks of cheddar cheese you've posted in this thread? i guarantee there's more than one that not a single yosposter has read completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

today im thankful because my friends and coworkers simp for poo poo that's actually interesting and sometimes useful like scala or go or r. if i had to hear them talk about how javascript or python were actually good, id probably choose to drown myself in the nearest body of water.

i'm thankful that my coworkers generally don't bother with these discussions at all and just get poo poo done in whatever tech stack is in front of us

(semi-relevant albeit petty addendum: the stack never involves javascript on the server)