Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
according to the cjs thread its still ruby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

MS briefly had a ‘hey maybe they are good now’ period around the time o365 and windows 10 launched, roughly around that time they also made vscode (a great IDE) and created a language called typescript which is basically javascript with strict type checking. it compiles and deploys to javascript so you can run it in lots of places: it’s very nice to work in

vscode is total poo poo but it seems incredible to linux users cause its working text editor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also typescript sucks because it requires node to use

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is it? I remember last time I used it, I basically gave it all of 20 minutes before I realized that I couldn't just see references to methods, and I basically just wrote it off completely when I couldn't F12 to a definition. Besides that, managing a project of any scope seems to be nightmare fuel inspired by Python's worst tendencies. Maybe this has been addressed, but goddamn, I felt a lot like I was in Notepad++ and less like I was in an IDE.

nah, your experience is accurate. linuxes are just so loving bad when it comes to quality software that something barely competent like vscode is a revelation to linux users.

the competitors to vscode are things like vim and emacs and xcode, not VS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

no, the competitor to vscode is jetbrains' solution to a particular framework.

e: and sublime text i guess but vs code really ended that battle lol

there are 2 types of people doing development on linuxes: those who cant afford good software and those trapped in osx for ios development. the former cant afford jetbrains because if they could they'd be using windows and vs/.net. the later idk what they use beyond xcode. does jetbrains do ios dev stuff? i havent paid attention to anything they make since microsoft killed resharper with vs 2015.

lol @ sublime text tho. always funny to see people paying money for what amounts to windows freeware.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh i guess there are java devs on linux too but we dont need to talk about them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hosed up if true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs 2022 writes your code for you now. its amazing how good the "AI" suggestions are.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think what makes it work is they've limited the scope to high confidence suggestions to prevent people from getting frustrated and turning it off. it very rarely suggests something wrong and even then its still something that makes sense in context. i havent seen it suggest outright garbage at all.

my guess is once people are satisfied with the basics they'll start training it on more complex templates. similar to your mvvm example, I spent the last 2 weeks writing JsonProperty over and over and it never tried helping with that.

some of the suggestions have been nuts though. like seemingly it had no context at all and then gave me the exact statement i was gonna type and i have no idea how it did it. it has to be getting some context clues from your overall project and project type, but even then a few of the suggestions seemed like straight up mind reading.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah everything i saw wrt copilot was trash which makes the VS stuff even more surprising. i imagine that using a real language like c# instead of a toy p-lang helps a bunch.

the VS stuff is more like next level intellisense rather than copilot which seems to be "idk, copy random poo poo from github into your code".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have an actual pager server at work (with modems and everything) and as far as i can tell the architecture is "whatever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

nodejs isn't fundamentally bad, but npm is and kind of sours the whole ecosystem

i think you will find that nodejs is actually very bad and npm is a symptom of that badness rather than a cause.