Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

New Zealand can eat me posted:

drat this looks loving sick, do they push steam notifications or anything when the tests start? If not, what is the best way to be notified other than checking this thread

https://discord.gg/NcdN9SKRgr this is the main discord server, lots of general info and large playtest announcements.
https://discord.gg/UmdDfPu8BU this is the tester group server, where the smaller unannounced tests are generally pinged. It also has instructions on how to get on the beta branch (which the unannounced tests use)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Playtest up for a bit

e; done

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 7, 2022

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

that was pretty fun, tho i only got to play for an hour. Gunplay still feels solid and it looks like theres a lot of levels, with each having a day/night version. I only played on the 127v127 mode, and it did feel like the maps were a bit cramped around the objectives. Very difficult to hit a flank and have it mean something, but that could also be my lack of knowledge about the maps and the fact i was lone wolfing it

Overall though, Im really impressed. Everything felt smooth, both from a stability and gameplay standpoint. I cant wait to see more and play this game again

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can someone run a use case for the default support class gun by me? The LMG proper is understandable enough, but the other one just seems like a less good AR.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Been loving this game because it plays like a mix of Battlefield and Squad and the gunplay is great. Is there a goon discord for this yet? Seems like a good avenue for LLJK bullshittery.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not afaik. I’d love to get a group going but god know I don’t have time to participate. It’s a shame as the game is an absolute blast with a bit of teamwork.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Alright, I went and did a thing. Waffle Haus lives again, I have no idea if we'll be able to have our own server but this is a start:

https://discord.gg/UsJRTZVp

I will definitely be on this Sat to gently caress around with the helicopters.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I was debating hosting a BB server but the specs they were asking for were pretty severe. Also the devs apparently have never used Linux so you have to run it on windows. So lol, no. It may have improved since, I haven’t had a chance to check up.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I'm down for trying to make it work, I miss the BF2/KFS days

Maybe we won't get a huge community but BF2042 is getting abandoned soon and we can set up for whatever comes next

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Also just found out community servers and helicopter rappelling will be a thing!

Triggs fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 26, 2023

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Stumbled on this by accident and wow this is a lot of fun. Looking forward to launch!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Warbird posted:

Can someone run a use case for the default support class gun by me? The LMG proper is understandable enough, but the other one just seems like a less good AR.

You mean the M249B? Just grind it for the 50 kills it takes to unlock stubby grip and you'll see why. It's probably the best gun in the game right now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think I got enough for that but I’ll have to double check. I’m still sticking with support when I have time to play but I’m starting to think that I’d be better off hauling an AR around if I don’t have a team to distract/draw fire long enough to get established with the LMG. So maybe it’s time to swing back around to the default.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I figured I'd bump this since it's getting close to EA and they do 3-4 regular playtests a week. Generally the schedule is like this

Tuesday 9:30pm - 12:30am EST
Wednesday 2:30pm - 5:30pm EST
Saturday 8:30am - 2:30pm EST

The game is coming along well and really they should be in EA already. Soon hopefully!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

After honestly way to long pre-early-access, they announced a final 2 day long playtest + early access in June

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euluOF0x8UQ

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
they really missed the window for capitalizing on bf2042s failure

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This game has a 48 hour play test right now and goes in to EA on the 15th. They announced it in game which was pretty cool.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

EA is live! Game is available 24/7, and it's good!

Krynn
Dec 12, 2005
Professional Lurker
This game is good and probably the most fun I've had in a large scale FPS game since Battlefield 4. The graphics aren't great but everything else is pretty solid.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's also the most fun I have had in a FPS in a long time outside of Hell Let Loose, it really is a great game with great mechanics. Also already 30k people playing, wow.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Game is fun and its running very well. A steal for $15

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Imo the game is best at 32x32 but the larger modes are some good clean unga bunga fun.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Warbird posted:

Imo the game is best at 32x32 but the larger modes are some good clean unga bunga fun.

Yeah I'm playing 128s to level up a bit but most of my playtime is gonna be in 32s

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Excellent, I can finally play this after missing every playtest weekend for the past 2 years or whatever.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
yo this looks like heaps of fun

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

tqilamknbrd posted:

yo this looks like heaps of fun

it is, goddamn i'm having a blast, and servers are jam-packed

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Wasnt this supposed to be free to play? Its def worth the money.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I put in a couple hours last night. Pretty fun, feels more like battlefield than 2042 does in some ways. The 248 player matches are very chaotic but not complete meat grinders because the maps are roomy. Gunplay is pretty good. Once you get past the graphics it’s a solid game.

I do wish the ttk was a bit longer, there was a persistent minimap on the hud, and enemies were easier to see at distance. Getting more varied weapon sounds would be huge too

Warbird
May 23, 2012

For the first time I’m having an absolute blast sniping. The 128x maps are great for this due to the sheer amounts of targets for you to shoot and targets that aren’t you for the enemy to shoot. Target acquisition is super easy too as you can just hang back a hair and watch for your dudes to start unloading on someone or vice versa.

I still, for the life of me, can’t gel with how to play support. Combat engi is fun though, do not suffer a wall.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

FastestGunAlive posted:

I put in a couple hours last night. Pretty fun, feels more like battlefield than 2042 does in some ways. The 248 player matches are very chaotic but not complete meat grinders because the maps are roomy. Gunplay is pretty good. Once you get past the graphics it’s a solid game.

I do wish the ttk was a bit longer, there was a persistent minimap on the hud, and enemies were easier to see at distance. Getting more varied weapon sounds would be huge too

Bold above is what is holding me back.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Goddamn Hippy posted:

Wasnt this supposed to be free to play? Its def worth the money.

The tests were free, full game is $15. Super good value for the money.

Queer Grenadier posted:

Yeah there's no way around this, the graphics are what they are. It's a style choice, and they do it pretty well, but it is a bit goofy for a serious shooter to look unserious. It all depends on what's more important to you - for me, the style isn't offputting (though it isn't a plus), so I'll happily overlook it for the excellent gameplay.

Warbird posted:

For the first time I’m having an absolute blast sniping. The 128x maps are great for this due to the sheer amounts of targets for you to shoot and targets that aren’t you for the enemy to shoot. Target acquisition is super easy too as you can just hang back a hair and watch for your dudes to start unloading on someone or vice versa.

I still, for the life of me, can’t gel with how to play support. Combat engi is fun though, do not suffer a wall.

M249 + stubby grip is probably the strongest gun in the game atm. Getting to that grip sucks no lie, but once you have it the gun is a death machine that doesn't need to reload.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think the other half of that is for support to really be useful or farm out points a cooperating squad is needed as ammo isn’t really a going concern for the average player since death comes quickly and will readily solve consequences of liberally applying lead down range. Engi has a similar problem to a lesser degree as rockets are (quite reasonably) limited in terms of ammo but at worst you yeet 5 in the direction of an offending building and then play slightly worse Assault until you eat a bullet.

I did manage to play in a few coordinated squads over the course of the play test and it was probably the best experience I’ve had with one of these types of games. However, due to real world obligations I just don’t have the time to get that arranged or even use a mic anymore.

Game is an absolute blast though.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Queer Grenadier posted:

I feel you. It’s why I waited so long to try the game. Didn’t think I’d be able to deal with it.

Warbird posted:

I did manage to play in a few coordinated squads over the course of the play test and it was probably the best experience I’ve had with one of these types of games. However, due to real world obligations I just don’t have the time to get that arranged or even use a mic anymore.

Game is an absolute blast though.

Yea I’ve seen a lot of ad hoc pubbie team work and just having fun. Lots of people reviving, joking around on voice comms. Also seems many servers are decently moderated; I’ve seen people banned for posting chud poo poo

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Warbird posted:

Use the ammo box to spam grenades and cover the map in claymores

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
For me, these style of games are about the teamwork and working together towards objectives. Squad does a really good job of this out of the gate, without needing to join a milsim group or clan.

Is the game good about making people work together, chat and collaborate? That is more important than graphics for me.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Queer Grenadier posted:

For me, these style of games are about the teamwork and working together towards objectives. Squad does a really good job of this out of the gate, without needing to join a milsim group or clan.

Is the game good about making people work together, chat and collaborate? That is more important than graphics for me.

It's encouraged by the mechanics, and easy facilitated by the voice chat, but I'd say Squad does more to say "hey work with your squad" immediately. Squad voice chat and a useful squad lead aren't something you get in every game, and it's pretty rare that leads will use leader chat. This could also be because the game is new and not everyone knows those features exist.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Squeezy Farm posted:

Use the ammo box to spam grenades and cover the map in claymores

I come from the church of smoke but what the hell, may as well. As far as claymores, is there a notable difference b/t them and the anti infantry mines you start with?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Queer Grenadier posted:

A lot of the game with randoms will be like a Battlefield game, going round and round to the points as you lose them with little coordination. So I would expect that as the expectation with randoms. Most of the voice chat is proximity and just talking to random dudes who are reviving you or warning people close to you. I sometimes try and encourage squad chat, but it really isn't that kind of game unless you are working with people you know. Game is still really good, the low poly look makes things like destruction of buildings possible, so I can live with it and it has some of the best sound design and shooting mechanics for an FPS there is.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Did this finally release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Warbird posted:

I come from the church of smoke but what the hell, may as well. As far as claymores, is there a notable difference b/t them and the anti infantry mines you start with?

I think it's just a matter of trigger/death zone and ease of hiding.

ZeusCannon posted:

Did this finally release?

It's the second line in the op