Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I miss this game, had a real good time playing. I think my main complaint would be the maps aren't all that great. Some are good, but when you get to the small urban maps with a couple hundred people, it's hard to do anything at all. Also it can be hard to spot people, but that seems kind of intentional. I am also not a big fan of the bleed mechanic. Other than that, I think it's really fun and unique and the shooting feels pretty tight. It has this squad mechanic that feels like you should be hanging with your squad, but no one uses squad mics, everyone is always in combat so you can't spawn on them, and no one uses the spawn beacon. I am a bit worried that this game is popular as more of an anti-2042 meme than something people will actually play and stick with. A PC only shooter with large player modes, and low poly count with a fast ttk may be a tough sell in the long run when people get tired of being mad at 2042.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Fun game, thank goodness they put it back up, was looking forward to it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have seen the engineer put up barricades. I think the menu is in the middle mouse or something? I forget.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Reminder: It's battlebit time again, it's live.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This game has a 48 hour play test right now and goes in to EA on the 15th. They announced it in game which was pretty cool.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's also the most fun I have had in a FPS in a long time outside of Hell Let Loose, it really is a great game with great mechanics. Also already 30k people playing, wow.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Queer Grenadier posted:

For me, these style of games are about the teamwork and working together towards objectives. Squad does a really good job of this out of the gate, without needing to join a milsim group or clan.

Is the game good about making people work together, chat and collaborate? That is more important than graphics for me.
A lot of the game with randoms will be like a Battlefield game, going round and round to the points as you lose them with little coordination. So I would expect that as the expectation with randoms. Most of the voice chat is proximity and just talking to random dudes who are reviving you or warning people close to you. I sometimes try and encourage squad chat, but it really isn't that kind of game unless you are working with people you know. Game is still really good, the low poly look makes things like destruction of buildings possible, so I can live with it and it has some of the best sound design and shooting mechanics for an FPS there is.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Frontline is a really fun mode, surprised more people don't vote for it. It's a nice break from the merry-go-round of conquest.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Does the game auto-assign points to squads? Seems like it always has a point ready so I doubt the SLs are all that on the ball. Is there a way to change the assignment? What is unique about the SL loadout? I see people stuck as SL being medic or whatever.

Edit: Looks like the SL gets a couple unique gadgets like the drone, also seems you can middle click a point to have it marked for your squad.

Space Jam posted:

Pings and a minimap would help, yeah.
Middle mouse is ping, if you hit an enemy with the ping it turns red and is on the map as well I think. If you ping a vehicle, the ping actually follows the vehicle and shows on the map. The drone spotting also shows enemies on the map. Maybe the binos I unlocked do that as well.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 18, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
i still like Battlefield games and I am glad there is a market for more than just Dice games, no one makes games like this except Dice and the slightly similar Hell Let Loose.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like unlocking stuff over long periods of time, really the attachments aren't all that different once you have a sight, at that point it's just trying out new things, so I think it's fine that they trickle in. The close quarter sights are all really similar so it's just preference, the ACOG lets you put a sight on top which is nice since the side mount I think it terrible.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 21, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

The proxy chat seemed fun at first, but is a really huge problem TBH. It massively disincentivizes teamwork because talking alerts every enemy in the area to wipe your squad. Organizing a squad outside the game is already an inherently massive advantage, getting to have VOIP that doesn't give you away to the enemy team is incredibly OP.
I just talk in squad chat and there are always two or three people who will chat the whole game and call out stuff, you just have to break the ice. I learned this from playing 2k hours of HLL with only randoms. Sometimes it's funny to pretend you have a squad with you in local chat to throw them off. I generally don't give stuff away in local.

The only mid-range scope I used was the ACOG since you can put a red dot on the top, but I realized that the 4x is mostly garbage and I can kill easily at 200m with just a 1x.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 23, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like people are confusing local chat for the local chat that happens when you kill someone and they get an open mic.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just picked this up and, having not played one of these kinda games since Bad Company 2 was new, hit the quick match option and ended up feeling completely overwhelmed in about ten minutes lol. I feel old.
Most people playing play FPS games all the time, so you will struggle with it for a bit, but I think if you keep playing and get a dozen hours under your belt, you will find your niche. The good thing is no one cares about your KDR so it's easy to just mindlessly figure it out.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the game ran out of server space today, it was having issues making new servers for a while. I can't believe they hit over 70k.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Hughmoris posted:

Is there any sort of pinging/marking enemies like in battlefield? If so, how does it work? I could have swore I saw a tank being marked at some point.
The middle mouse will mark your pings as white, if you ping an enemy close enough, your mark turns red. Pinging a vehicle will follow the vehicle for a while, while infantry pings are static.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Servers seem like they are down for me, looks like they hit close to 90k peak which is insane.

Edit: Maybe Steam is just down

Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 26, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Ciaphas posted:

is this a game i can have a good time with if i'm playing on my own 90%+ of the time, or am i just going to get splatted and frustrated when i dare to poke my head out a la whatever the Battlefield game du jour was 10 years ago
You are definitely going to get killed from everywhere and wonder why you're dying so fast when you start, so yeah, just like a BF game. I play solo and have a good time, just takes a bit to learn what you can get away with.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I find it weird people use local all the time, but squad chat may as well not exist. It's like pulling teeth to get people to talk in squad. I guess its because the game is super fast paced and strategy gets thrown out by most people.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It can a lot of fun to spar over one point, like 12 rats said, put a rally down at their first cap point and have small skirmishes all game. I also like just being in the midst of 250 players in frontline but I just like massive amounts of players in shooters like this, it gives everyone lots of targets.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Winning team should get a 2x XP multiplier.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Pasha posted:

Oh, if the game puts me in a squad I stay in it. Sometimes it doesn't though (or maybe I get kicked out? Who knows ...). If I am in a squad I usually just act as a mobile spawner (ie, I find a hiding place to lie down and sit there the rest of the match). If I am not in a squad I will run around and knock down walls with my hammer (probably not super useful).
I am not entirely sure why you're playing this game, but C4 and rockets are a lot more destructive if that's your thing.

Edit: Why not just join a squad and follow them around as a medic if you have no interest in the gun parts of the game?

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 2, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I played support really for the first time recently and didn't realize it came with armor. I kill this guy where he clearly headshot me, but I ended up killing him. he called me a slur for having armor which I had no idea I had even equipped. Also wasn't sure the process for reporting and I forgot his name.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Skyl3lazer posted:

I keep hearing people say this and I have no idea why. This game does it's own thing. It's a good game. There's zero reason they need to "make up their mind" because they did already: they made this game, that is doing blockbuster numbers.

Just because there's elements that are present in one game or another doesn't mean they need to pick a checklist of features. It's ok to make a new thing!
Yeah, agree they created their own mishmash of mechanics from other games and came up with something unique. It feels a lot like battlefield, but also new, I love it for that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just hate toggling the stuff on and off. I used a tactical flashlight for a night map and it sucked since it started on and went off when you shot, so every time you spawned you had to toggle it to off so it would be on for shooting. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I assume it's to blind people when you shoot them and not to give your position away when you are not.

Edit: game is so good, just got done playing for four hours and quit because he servers started melting down

Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 3, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The smoke launcher is fun to block line of sight for a whole team just standing there, it tends to get people to move forward and you can block out a really large area. The smoke doesn't seem to last as long as smoke grenades though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm level 70 and just played a map I have never played. It was really red and had shipping crates.

For the last two days I just maxed out the AK-15 and I think so far it may be the best gun for me so far. The M249 is good, but situational, you don't want to have to ADS fast with that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I used the Vector for the first time and it is insane, but it is only the best gun at short distances, any AR seems better at ranges longer than 50m. Super fun though, I'm using it while it's not nerfed.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

FastestGunAlive posted:

I learned last night that you can do a quick reload by double tapping or holding R. You lose the ejected magazine though.
I used to only do this reload since it was bound to just R and then pick up the mags when I could, then I rebound it finally. You should be able to pick up enemy mag dumps.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
In the beginning of the game all squads that fill up get auto-locked for some dumb reason, I always type in chat for everyone to unlock their squads.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I tell I am squad lead by the indicator when I have one of the points lined up. I like SL since I can always have a rally up, and it's easy to get more points to get new rallies.

I got the Aug a couple of days ago but I want to finish getting everything for the vector, but seems like the Aug is a good mid-range AR, but not competitive at close range when everyone is now running the Vector.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the Aug is my favorite gun now. Vector is good, but I got all the unlocks and I think I just like ARs better since you can get that three hit kill passed 50m which the SMGs just struggle with.

Also finally played the MultiuIsland map and it was okay, but had to use the server browser to get a game on it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
When the official servers change to faceit, Linux will no longer work since that anti-cheat has no linux options, however community servers as I understand it will be able to use EAC, so those would work still. How this ends up though I have no idea.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Cheats run in ring 0 so for anything to be remotely effective it has to also run at the kernel level.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Defenestrategy posted:

If youre worried about people exploiting your gaming pc so much youre worried about programs running at ring zero you should be worried enough to have a seperate computer and network to do your fun gaming on versus your important stuff, namaste.
I have backups and also keep a current image of my PC and take a new smapshot every week. Also I am not really worried about multiplayer anti-cheat having ring 0, doesn't bug me in the least.

So yes, agree, though I admit I read you comment wrong at first. Anyway yeah, not a big deal for me as this isn't my work PC or anything.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think the main thing they want from Faceit is the automation which is something EAC can't do.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Blowing up enemy vehicles nets tons of points, so the solo guys sitting in vehicles shooting are very good for my leveling. between blowing up vehicles and setting up rallies close to the back cap, I can level pretty damned fast. The back cap gets people there fast, so you can cap back and fourth all game.

I think the full cap is worth something like 2600 points, and vehicles are not far behind, I think they are like 1k plus the shooter, nets you like 1400 +.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

c355n4 posted:

RPG Frag vs HEAT rounds. Which do you all use?
I use the Tandem since I use it almost exclusively for vehicle kills, and it also destroys buildings. I find it's easier to kill dudes with guns than RPGs so I don't use the weaker rounds lately.

Also I guess I have never used the guns in a vehicle, but like Battlefield, I mainly just play infantry. I tried the chopper MG and killed a few, but it isn't great for farming dudes unless you have a great pilot that is trying to get you kills I imagine.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think though with the TTK so fast, they aren't nearly as impactful as the Gustav was and ADS is so slow, that if you see a guy and he's going to kill you with a rocket, you can beat him, even out to 200m as long as you have an AR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Frog Act posted:

I think the issue is mostly that the engineer probably also has an AR so the rocket is just another tool in the kit to complicate a mutual sniping - an assault is at a disadvantage being unable to fire off a rocket at the tree their foe is hiding behind while reloading with no alternative gain. I’ve definitely blasted a lot of guys with rockets after they started shooting me and either gotten the kill or we both died
I don't seem to have massive issues with being rocketed so far. When I do get killed by a rocket it legit pisses me off for a second the way that being killed by a mine does, so it still seems rare. Like someone else said, lots of times switching to rockets and then ADSing takes so long that you're dead when even using the pistol would have been better. It's one of the reasons I use the Tandem now, I use the guns for killing mostly, C4 for taking down walls, and rockets for vehicles.

If anything, something needs to be done about mines and claymores. Like sure, keep them in the game, but holy crap some people fill up whole points with them, and it's not the mines that kill you, it's when you're clearing then out, someone else does lol.