Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean the point is to drive subscriber growth so I'm not sure what anyone expected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I ain't subscribing to Netflix, though, because i think 99% of what they put out is crap. So all Netflix is doing is making me torrent it, where if it was in the theater i would def. see it.

As said earlier, Streaming services execs are dumb as gently caress.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

enigmahfc posted:

I ain't subscribing to Netflix, though, because i think 99% of what they put out is crap. So all Netflix is doing is making me torrent it, where if it was in the theater i would def. see it.

As said earlier, Streaming services execs are dumb as gently caress.

Ok? Then you clearly aren't the target user. And they're not going to change their business model to try to appease people that are never going to subscribe anyway.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the point is that focusing on putting it on streaming is unlikely to yield many new subscriptions versus a more traditional release schedule followed by streaming, so by focusing on the former they're leaving a lot of money on the table. Yes, that is the executives' plans, the argument is that it's a bad plan and they should focus on how to get money from people that won't ever subscribe because they're already getting just about as much as they can from the people who would subscribe.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
^^^
this.

BonoMan posted:

Ok? Then you clearly aren't the target user. And they're not going to change their business model to try to appease people that are never going to subscribe anyway.

or they could.....i don't know; put in in theaters for a month (where they can make money from people seeing it in Theaters) or so then go to stream it on Netflix exclusively instead of having it out for a weekend then having it play literally no where for a month (where they make no money from people seeing it in theaters AND from no new people subscribing).

I mean, i do not care one way or the other, but Netflix is stupid is as gently caress. Nothing really changes that.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 6, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't really want Netflix to collapse because then who knows what's going to happen to the handful of their movies I like, such as Glass Onion and presumably Untitled Knives Out Sequel (2025).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't really want Netflix to collapse because then who knows what's going to happen to the handful of their movies I like, such as Glass Onion and presumably Untitled Knives Out Sequel (2025).

Ideally, someone would buy the rights to the catalogue. After Quibi failed, their library was bought by Roku.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
And if not, we always have the pirates of the seven seas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing is even with a recent drop off Netflix is kinda close to full market saturation- there just aren’t that many new customers to get in North America, so I doubt Glass Onion will yield that much in new/returning subs vs how much they could have made with a normal theatrical release (or even just two weeks as opposed to one!)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing is even with a recent drop off Netflix is kinda close to full market saturation- there just aren’t that many new customers to get in North America, so I doubt Glass Onion will yield that much in new/returning subs vs how much they could have made with a normal theatrical release (or even just two weeks as opposed to one!)

Didn't a Netflix CEO just say they regret having no ads and will be rectifying that?

I hate when idk Hulu or whatever has something good I want to watch or you just do a search from Roku and it ends up the show you want to see has ads. At first it's nostalgic but the 8th time you see this woman advocating Mexican avocadoes it becomes annoying.

And then you realize you could get up and make some guac but your Californian avocadoes are not ripe yet and it's just a big tiresome mess.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Netflix is running into that problem where instead of making a normal annual profit the shareholders demand infinite growth so you have to spend more money than you have hoping that targeted ads at tweens and holiday movies written by algorithms will somehow generate exponential quarterly revenue

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Another point I've seen people make regarding theatrical vs streaming is I can and frequently do see the same movie multiple times in a theater. I can't buy another netflix subscription.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

Netflix is running into that problem where instead of making a normal annual profit the shareholders demand infinite growth so you have to spend more money than you have hoping that targeted ads at tweens and holiday movies written by algorithms will somehow generate exponential quarterly revenue

That's the problem with corporate law in general.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pingiivi posted:

Aren't these limited releases pretty much "we showed them in a theatre, so now it's eligible for Oscar nominations"-things?

It was kind of a wide release for that, 700 theaters. That’s like a typical indie release, just a lot shorter and with no possible expansion.

Maybe it was contractual with Rian Johnson?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Netflix is a godsend for people like me with a toddler, since it well be years before I can actually go to a theater again.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

ymgve posted:

And if not, we always have the pirates of the seven seas.

Would people do that? Just go on the internet and steal things?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1600148805067972608

I think Mindy Kaling might be an idiot. I've been made aware of "the sex lives of college girls" and it possibly has the most annoying characters of any show this side of WB poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You probably couldn't do some of the early "wow Michael is an idiot" bits from early on, but like that's not really a bad thing. Some of that poo poo is rough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amsterdam is on hbo now. It's supremely entertaining

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've been hearing some iffy things and I didn't like American Hustle at all other than like J-Law and Joe Pesci hair Jeremy Renner. Is it so bad it's good or? Just very melodramatic and stylish and fun?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's fine, it's like the opposite of a heist movie. There are a few good performances and it's well constructed, just kind of unremarkable. There's Amy Adams sideboob, but on the downside there's also Louis CK. It's like a solid B-.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Edit I completely misunderstood and thought you were asking about American Hustle

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1600148805067972608

I think Mindy Kaling might be an idiot. I've been made aware of "the sex lives of college girls" and it possibly has the most annoying characters of any show this side of WB poo poo.

Is she wrong? I'm trying to imagine a show in 2022 doing the race episode where Michael wants people to act out stereotypes. It would blow up so fast.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Generally things that "you couldn't make today" are things that don't hold up today. Thr thing about edgy comedy is literally no one thatfinds a joke funny will be offended by it. If they're offended it's because you weren't funny.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

You probably couldn't do some of the early "wow Michael is an idiot" bits from early on, but like that's not really a bad thing. Some of that poo poo is rough.

It makes the first episode of the Hindi version so interesting, I only get some of the racist tropes and then the rest are just kind of bizarre

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What about Jim repeatedly creepin on the secretary who is also engaged to someone else at the company

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

precision posted:

Amsterdam is on hbo now. It's supremely entertaining

Except Taylor Swift is laughably bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is she wrong? I'm trying to imagine a show in 2022 doing the race episode where Michael wants people to act out stereotypes. It would blow up so fast.

Eh, sort of. You can really still make anything, but it's unlikely something with high visibility that is backed by some big media conglomerate will be willing to do anything that might get the wrong kind of attention on Twitter. I was just watching that Reno 911 Qanon movie that came out last year and it's chalked full of stuff that isn't even remotely PC, but it's all so tongue in cheek only an idiot would be mad about it. And afaik no one was mad about it. I'm not sure anyone watched it though lol. it's actually really funny even if it's dumb as hell.

There's literally media empires that are devoted to hate speech in tyool 2022 (which sucks) so I have hard time relating to people claiming that you "can't make" things anymore. But tbh I do get why so many people seem collectively exhausted with so much entertainment feeling like it's designed by committee to be a PC as possible, because that poo poo just feels so corny and inauthentic and everywhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The office isn’t half as offensive as Always Sunny is and that poo poo is going strong

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
I do think there’s a difference in framing between The Office and Sunny. The depravity of the Sunny characters, and the fact that they’re always in the wrong in the worst way possible, is what makes them funny. You don’t feel warm and fuzzy about them, whereas Michael is a beloved character, and the show leans a lot on the “well, he MEANS well” excuse to handwave away a lot of his garbage behavior. And in TYOOL 2022, “(s)he means well” isn’t the pass it was even a few years ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For me I guess Michael has always been a character that has a lot of layers and most of them are poo poo. But I think he paints a fairly realistic idiot that I find interesting.

I think it’s less he means well and more he’s just really inept with a lot of things due to a weird childhood and just being in his own bubble. There’s a deep sadness there which is why I think despite it maybe leaning too hard at the end, kinda works that he has some ok relationships with his coworkers because my god is he kind of a pathetic basket case.

I’ve burned through the show a lot and I don’t think it’s aged badly. Some stuff for sure but The show never paints really anything Michael does as good. He’s almost always the butt of the drama or the outright villain. So I don’t know if I disagree with Mindy but idk.

I think the Jim Pam stuff aged the worst in terms of still finding it cute, but I do find it way more interesting because it’s really kind of sad ultimately.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

The office isn’t half as offensive as Always Sunny is and that poo poo is going strong

With multiple episodes pulled from streaming services

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The office has never been offensive. It’s like the safest poo poo they ever made.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Yeah it’s always sunny has something like 8 episodes removed from their streaming catalog and if you listen to their podcast they admit that a lot of the early episodes wouldn’t fly today and they actually agree that there is a lot of problematic stuff in the early seasons they regret doing

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

henkman posted:

With multiple episodes pulled from streaming services

Well it's like, we know they're monstrous idiots, so the blackface is okay because they are bad people obviously do something really bad? But not really. I don't understand how Tropic Thunder goes under the radar tho. People love that poo poo.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s just harder to cancel a movie than disappearing a couple of episodes of a tv show.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think having a white character wearing blackface and being constantly called out on it is generally more acceptable; if a character gets obvious pushback in the movie or show it makes a difference to how people perceive something versus just "well, you're supposed to think they're in the wrong."

I guess Tom Cruise was supposed to be Harvey Weinstein specifically, but I thought his "aggressive and greedy (((Hollywood producer)))" character was way more problematic than RDJ's "white actor who is a privileged idiot but thinks he's brilliant."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

I guess Tom Cruise was supposed to be Harvey Weinstein specifically, but I thought his "aggressive and greedy (((Hollywood producer)))" character was way more problematic than RDJ's "white actor who is a privileged idiot but thinks he's brilliant."

Yea I think the issue with the Cruise character is they went out of their way to show he's Jewish, which I guess was supposed to more specifically reference Weinstein but if that was lost on you then the character becomes offensive.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Outside of diversity day, the most offensive the office gets is some cringe "ew gross, a gay man" jokes that definitely wouldn't be made today but also are a far cry from ace Ventura or anything like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think having a white character wearing blackface and being constantly called out on it is generally more acceptable; if a character gets obvious pushback in the movie or show it makes a difference to how people perceive something versus just "well, you're supposed to think they're in the wrong."

Very much agreed. The blackface was bad but the as you say ((())) is not a good look even if Harvey was a notorious POS.