Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I would recommend adding I Think You Should Leave to the Netflix list, Kevin Can F Himself to Amazon Prime and Only Murders in the Building to Disney+.

I had an extended period of working from home to part-time employment to unemployment to Covid just before Christmas and binged the entirety of La Casa De Papel (Money Heist) on Netflix over the course of just over a month. It's probably better that you go in knowing as little as possible but what I would say is that it's deliciously stylistic and addictive, has characters that you'll actually end up caring a great deal for played by uniformly excellent actors and a frenzied pace. It combines everything I adored about Jane the Virgin and the early seasons of Arrow, a billion crazy twists per episode.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm still watching the Ozarks and deep into S2 it still seems like the cartel would have just killed every character and burned their homes to the ground rather than be bothered letting this continue

I keep trying to get into Ozark and am midway through S2, my main beef is that there's no reason whatsoever for every episode to be a full hour long and that the notional lead is by some distance the least interesting character. It would be a decent bingeable show at a brisk 40 minutes apiece, rather than cramming in that goddamned old man that refuses to die as if I'm supposed to give a poo poo.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I watched this and thought it was pretty funny, then I heard it's based on a BBC show called Murder in Successville. Most of that is on YouTube so I checked them out and it's a lot funnier IMO, not even close.

Yeah I checked out Murderville as I'm a massive fan of MIS and never get tired of recommending it to my friends. Murderville is fine enough but MIS at its funniest is incapacitating, tears-in-eyes funny.

I think a big problem is that Murderville recruited celebrities either far too charismatic or far too experienced to be phased by the improv, there also seemed to be bizarrely little actual improv from the supporting actors. At times it just appears scripted as nothing seems to be spontaneous and no one in the scene bats an eyelid at the stuff that is.

MIS frequently goes completely off the rails as already outlined above, usually because they rarely recruit an actual experienced comedian or actor to play the celebrity instead choosing minor reality tv personalities or radio hosts. Their bewilderment and nervousness adds to the chaotic energy and produces some sublime comedy.

A good example of what I'm talking about is that Murderville does the "Seattle uses an earpiece to tell the celebrity what to say" in every episode but in MIS it's used exactly once in the first episode, and the scene is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen. DI Sleet is forcing the celebrity to say the most insane and nonsensical poo poo, the celebrity can barely get a word out without creasing and the two supporting actors can barely look him in the eye from laughing so hard.

But yeah, MIS is amazing and if on Youtube definitely check it out.

Superrodan posted:

Murder in Successville is also a LOT harder to solve the mysteries, to the point where I think I got two or three fully correct out of the 8 or so we've watched. The only thing that's hit or miss to me is the "bad celebrity impression" aspect, which is silly and a memorable gimmick but doesn't add a lot, and I think makes some aspects of the show kind of awkward.

Yeah this bugged me a lot about Murderville too. The mysteries were way too easy and they practically beat the celebrities over the head with the clues. I really missed the gimmick of the celebrity has to shoot who they think the murderer is to death rather than just arrest them. The chief being Gordon Ramsay (helped by how amazing the actor playing him is) was the only time the impressions gimmick worked, never got tired of him yelling "WHAT'S THAAAAAAAAT" at the end of episodes and his exasperation when the celebrity got the solution wrong was always great. SHARON OSBORNE WASN'T EVEN A SUSPEEEEEEEEEECT!!

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 16, 2022

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

smackfu posted:

Amazon has a rom-com named “I Want You Back” with Charlie Day and it starts with two people getting dumped out of nowhere for being complacent in their relationship. Fun date night movie!

Yeah we watched this a couple of weeks back and it's pretty good. Reminded me a lot of When Harry Met Sally, it's a genuinely funny movie and the central relationship is believable. I liked that the two ex-partners at the centre of the plot were written and performed as mostly sympathetic, complicated people who just acted a bit dickishly when breaking up with someone. Jenny Slate is pretty wonderful and Charlie Day is impressively grounded by his standards.