Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Edward Mass posted:

Paramount+
Like Peacock, Paramount+ is becoming a sports destination for their corporation, in this case for soccer. In addition, soon to be the only place to watch Star Trek legally online.

I figured this would happen but it’s still lame. Throwing on a random TNG episode is comforting and I liked that both Netflix and Hulu had it since I (try to) only subscribe to one major platform at a time.

I guess we’re heading to a glorious future where only one network has any given TV show or movie, maybe other than some foreign and independent movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
People really need to specify what the client is running on when they complain about it. On a tvOS Apple TV, the Apple TV app is arguably worse than HBO Max. Max is a bit slower but that’s about it. The Apple TV app being both a client for their service and a content hub (that other apps have to opt-in to) is not a great experience.

I remember when HBO Now first launched and that was virtually unusable on the old hockey puck Apple TV 3, both due to poo poo streaming quality and a garbage client (for example, you couldn’t add a TV show to your list, just individual episodes).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My favorite part of the two John Wick movies I saw was that the bad guys were played by Swedish actors portraying Russians who didn’t give a drat about faking the correct accent because Americans can’t tell the difference anyway

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

smackfu posted:

I’m not even sure I liked Raised By Wolves, that is a hard one to blindly recommend given the weirdness.

Yeah, it started really strong but it kind of dragged after a while, and some the directions it went with are bad-weird. I don’t know that I really want to know the answers to some of its mysteries, since the hints it’s given so far aren’t terribly compelling.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fortocero posted:

The One is just dumb goofy fun. Jet Li fighting himself while pretty awful yet period-reminiscent nu-metal plays in the background. I put it on for some background noise recently and couldn't help grinning cheesily as the first sequence has that "Let the bodies hit the floor" song and then Disturbed's Down with the sickness plays over the next fight.

Also you get Jason Statham before he becomes Jason Statham.

Man I should rewatch this, all I remember is some final fight with a bunch of sparks and the very last shot.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Peccadillo posted:

I stooped watching Raised By Wolves because I realised the only thing I was really moved in any way by was the lovely title sequence
I was actually going to ask how Raised By Wolves S2 was… it sounds like not amazing? After S1 I’m on the fence if I want to bother. S1 started strong but turned into a boring slog.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Glottis posted:

Raised by Wolves is tough for me. I keep wanting it to be a universe where the next crazy thing that happens is more like a creative escalation rather than a completely new and insane concept with zero connection to what we've already seen. It just feels like nobody says "no" in the writing room. Felt to me like after in S1 a computer impregnates a robot with a giant snake baby that flies away they kind of moved from a steady stream of mysterious new ideas to getting pelted with them non-stop with no time to sink in.

Reviewers and people on the internet seem to just enjoy the ride, but the show keeps changing the status quo so quickly that it's hard for me to feel invested. "Batshit" and "body horror" aren't really enough. I've tried just watching it while intoxicated, and I inevitably have to read a recap article just to make sense of all the insanity I just witnessed. Maybe I'm missing the point if making sense of it is a goal.

I felt pretty much the same after S1. I guess I’ll try S2 but I’m not super excited after hearing stuff like this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Papercut posted:

Finished Station Eleven, what an incredible show. The ending was perfect, I hope they never make another season.

I watched two episodes and enjoyed it, but I got horrible family medical news after that and I’ve been afraid to pick it up again. Does it end up being a terribly depressing show? I don’t need that right now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

doesn't everyone just cancel each service a few times a year to cycle through them? best way to do it. pay for hulu a few months, then netflix, etc

Theoretically I do but I think I’ve been on HBO Max for probably a year. I honestly have to check what’s even on Hulu anymore to see if it’s worth it for me to cycle back to that one (I know there’s Fargo S4 but I don’t remember anybody talking about it). Netflix has Better Call Saul and other stuff I want to see so I know I’ll be back to it at some point.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, Glow morphed from a comedy to a sappy drama. I’m not sure they were even trying to be funny by the end.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched an excellent, concise, no-nonsense informational youtube recap of the first season of Raised by Wolves to prepare for viewing the second season and wow, yeah, all that crazy poo poo really did happen.

I probably need that too; post the link

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody checked out Tokyo vice yet?

People were praising it earlier.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Finished Raised By Wolves S2.

I didn’t hate it like I feared based on what people were saying about it, but it’s far from my favorite. It’s certainly a show that’s not afraid to surprise you, but it does feel like they’re just making stuff up as they go along. Calling it “science fiction” is a complete misnomer. This is 100% fantasy except the wizards are called “androids” and magic is “dark photons” or whatever.

I think my biggest issue is that I don’t like most of the characters. Campion is such a dweeb, most of the other kids are Whatever, Marcus can be pretty obnoxious… and the ones I liked are getting killed off, like Sue and the robot girl (also holy poo poo!). Father is still my favorite and Mother when she’s not ruining everything.

This season also had some seriously dodgy effects at times, which I assume was either a time or money crunch due to a bigger scope than S1.

I suppose S3 is a ways off so I’ll probably be in the mood to watch it, but it’s kind of a hard show to recommend to people.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

the thing about the twist in Mr. Robot season 4, is that, no matter what stupid idea you have you could not possibly guess the content and stupidity of the twist

like, for real. absolutely nothing in seasons 1-3 even remotely hints at it, and in fact, a lot of things that happen don't even fit with the twist. it's so dumb haha

that said i still enjoyed every episode. it's just, man, that twist... it's so bad

for those who want to know it turns out that the entire reason Elliott has DID is that his dad molested him. YEP! GREAT, HUH?! and it turns out literally the entire show was in Elliott's head, none of it actually happened. There was no White Rose or Evil Corp or Darlene or ANYTHING. lmao

lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Watched the first episode of the new Star Trak show (Strange New Worlds) and I found it to be exceedingly cringeworthy in multiple places. The acting was fine, the visuals were nice, but man the plot was so incredibly convoluted and it seems like they crammed 5 episodes worth of story into 45 minutes. And then you have any moment of seriousness (the pilot features the crew making first contact with an alien species and saving them from annihilating their own world) completely undermined by the most eye rolling jokes imaginable. Star Trek doesn't have to be grimdark but it doesn't have to be whatever this is, either. Also the hairstyles are distractingly bad.

Aw man

I’m probably going to get Paramount+ next to get my Star Trek fix and was hoping this show would be OK.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody watched the new HD version of Star Trek: The Motionless Picture Director’s Cut? Part of getting Paramount+ will be so I can watch that infernal movie without getting suckered into spending money on the UHD. I’m somehow compelled by it even though I literally fell asleep the last two times I’ve watched (I don’t think I’ve seen the Spock Spacetrip scene in like 15 years because I’m always nodding off at that point).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Foundation starts off decently enough (and has some great visuals) but I gave up after 4-5 episodes. I wanted to like it but it has some deeply stupid writing and there’s enough other better shows around that I didn’t feel compelled to stay with it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have films ever been made with ad breaks, or is this a potential new Rubicon that we could be crossing with ad supported streaming tiers?

Typically the pipeline for a film to be aired on, say, free TV, would involve the films are edited into single units, which then have their airing rights sold to a chanel, which then re edits them into ad breaks. Or, at least, that's my experience of it.

But with the way streaming works, are we gonna see more, or possible all non-theatrically released films, come with built-in ad breaks?

Made-for-TV movies existed before streaming.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I needed something wholesome to watch and Paddington 2 (HBO Max) delivered. I remember being more delighted by the first one, but that might just have been because I wasn’t expecting much from it. If you haven’t seen either, they are completely sincere & utterly charming fantasies where everything turns out wonderful in the end if you’re just nice to people.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does RRR have like dance numbers and stuff?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MeinPanzer posted:

I know it’s not a movie but no one seems to be talking about this in TVIV.

Just watched the first ep of Prehistoric Planet and it’s so good. This is the show I dreamed of when I was a kid. Can’t wait for the other episodes.

Hmm, maybe AppleTV is worth a quick subscription again for that and Severance.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Stranger Things s4 is better than seasons 2 and 3, and close to as good as s1, IMO.

Did not see that coming. Nice to be pleasantly surprised for once

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Brocktoon posted:

God dammit! I was just about to resub to watch S2! Should I not bother, or is it worth watching even if it will never be resolved? (Not that resolution is what I’m looking for from that show)

For better or worse, if you’ve avoided spoilers then nearly episode will introduce something new and completely insane

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought they cleared most of the videos for a recent-ish home media release?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Prehistoric Planet!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Famethrowa posted:

did it stop feeling like a 2015 jamesons commercial? the random artic monkey type needledrops drove me nuts.

I bailed on Peaky Blinders after season three since it got super formulaic. Kinda of shocked it lasted for six seasons.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I really hope Severance doesn’t pull a Raised By Wolves in S2 and goes so hard that it loses the audience, leading to an early cancellation. Although it also feels like a show that will get worse and worse the longer it lasts.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm probably getting back into physical media when It's decided what format everyone is going to put the best edition on. Wouldn't want to start getting 8k when something else pops up with more features and investment by the studios.

I think it’s pretty much UHD. I don’t know how some of the movies released on the format could look any better. Extra resolution wouldn’t be noticeable unless you paused on a gigantic screen, and although I don’t know a lot about the different HDR standards I doubt there’s going to be some future incompatible version that will be dramatically better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

Just as HBO Max started promoting the Anthony Bourdain documentary, they took down all but the first season of Parts Unknown.

Also, the new version of Father of the Bride is horrible. But also apparently HBO Max's most watched original content ever.

Didn’t they move all the Parts Unknown stuff to CNN+ during its brief existence? Maybe there’s still some rights weirdness due to that disaster.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Macrame_God posted:

I only saw the first one. That was in theatres and the whole time I was thinking "why does the frame rate look like rear end?"

I wonder if James Cameron will try to make another push for higher movie frame rates to catch on with Avatar 2. Logically it does make sense, but we’re so conditioned to “24 fps = movie” I wonder if anybody over a certain age could ever get used to it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I felt bad for getting sleepy during Mad God, it's chock full of artistry and detail that must have taken 2000 years to make, just an incredible labor, but after a while i was just like "yeah i get it, this is society, maaan. Is this like, a Pink Floyd video?"
But this is probably my own fault for catching it on Shudder n skipping multiple opportunities to see it in theaters

I felt the same. There’s not much to latch onto besides the visuals.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

I watched Nemesis last night, which also took place in a future where everyone kickboxes all the time. It's a fun companion piece to either movie.

Nemesis is completely insane - it’s blatantly a ripoff of like four other movies shoved together into one cyberpunk kickboxing fever dream. Bring back European kickboxer actors!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The trailer predictably shows most of the crazy scenes, although it does leave out a few surprises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoG8CyOTQo4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Booyah- posted:

I liked watching all of Dark though it got a little tiresome by the end "In your world... and in mine..." was said like 5 times an episode

I’m really glad they ended it after three seasons. It got about as complicated as they could make it (probably a bit too much) and then they ended it. I could easily have seen them drag it out even longer and turn into a real slog.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A MIRACLE posted:

It was grating and pretentious to me but I liked the anarcho communism apocalypse future parts a lot. Nice departure from mad max poo poo

I do agree it’s a bit pretentious but I still liked it a lot. Everything Teriyaki Hairpiece wrote is true

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm bored on a Saturday night. Looking for something to watch, movie or series.

I'm thinking either some like scifi space drama, like if Foundation was good. Already done The Expanse, love it. Seen classics like 2001 and Event Horizon, and BSG, Star Wars and Star Trek of course.
Have you tried The Orville? It starts out pretty jokey but honestly the humor gets toned down after the first few episodes. It’s basically the spiritual successor to The Next Generation. I haven’t seen season 3 yet though, so I can’t vouch for that though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
HBO Max was somehow distinct from HBO; sounds like that won’t be the case anymore. Discovery is like 100% trash-tier reality shows which are infinitely cheaper to produce than real shows. I’m guessing there will still be scripted HBO shows (for now) unless they’re just entirely giving up and doubling-down on garbage.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kalko posted:

I admit it's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't he spot the spikes in front of him and then walk around to the other side instead, right where Arnie wanted him?

No, he spotted the spikes and did not go right where Arnie wanted him, then succumbed to the Giant Suspended Log trick because he forgot to look up

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Inspector Hound posted:

I've always wondered why that guy was wearing a karate outfit

Yeah I remember that clip from those crap clip shows that Fox used to show in the 90s. Some dude in a gi ineffectually karate chopping a bear is an image that stays with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

Isn’t meth predator just the guy from I Come In Peace?

He wasn’t hitting his own supply