Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If Hulu isn’t worth paying for I’m not sure what is. All of the services get a baseline flood of junk to pad the numbers along with some TV exclusives & occasional higher-tier movies. Hulu certainly felt better than Paramount Plus and I can’t imagine Peacock amounts to much. HBO Max obviously has a solid library of shows but I doubt they’ll make too many winners in the future while Zaslav is in charge. Netflix seems content to focus on a ton of originals, most of which are either pretty mid and/or quickly canceled.

I don’t think any single streaming platform is good enough to be a sole provider, that’s why I rotate through them. Paying for multiple at the same time (other than maybe a few specialty services like Shudder, Criterion, etc) feels like a waste to me because there’s no way I can consume that much content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think I read somewhere they had ideas for three Dredd movies and the third one was going to involve Judge Death. For those unfamiliar with the comics, Death and his pals are spirits/ghosts/whatever from another dimension where life itself is a crime (because only the living commit crimes). He’s one of the few recurring villains in the comics because Dredd has a habit of killing everyone mortal.

I’m not sure how that would have went over with a general audience… If you became a fan because the first movie was relatively grounded & small stakes, introducing an extradimensional demon that threatens to wipe all life off the planet might be a big jump.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t know if it was this thread that recently mentioned them but I watched A Night to Remember (Criterion Channel) and Titanic (various).

I think I’ve seen both films only once before; Night about 30+ years ago on TV and Titanic on VHS.

If you want a movie about the sinking of the Titanic, watch Night. It’s a great movie and does a good job incorporating a lot of historical events. The ship hits the iceberg about 30 mins into a 2 hour movie so it really moves along. The closest thing to a main character is Second Officer Lightoller, but everything is depicted in a somewhat detached documentary style with a lot of different characters. The drunk baker was my favorite.

Titanic (1997) was somehow way worse than I remembered. An entire movie takes place before the ship even hits the ‘berg. This is just an absurd melodrama that happens to use a notable tragedy as a backdrop. It honestly almost feels a bit disrespectful - there was enough real world drama in the sinking without making up a bunch of bullshit with cartoonishly evil villains. The closest thing to villains in Night is the real-life crew of the Californian whose absurd negligence influenced changes to international maritime safety regulations. Titanic, meanwhile, has Billy Zane and David Warner ingesting toxic levels of scenery. A ton of stuff is also shamelessly “borrowed” from Night. Even in the bloated runtime (the Bill Paxton stuff sucks, I’m sorry) it leaves out a ton of real world context that Night managed to include.

It’s interesting how some of the effects have aged too. In 2023, some of the 1997 CG looks just as artificial as 1958 model work. The practical sets in Titanic are naturally far more elaborate and still hold up fairly well, although I don’t think Night was a slouch in that department considering when it was made.

Anytime the movies attempted to portray the same thing I ended up thinking I preferred how Night did it, but honestly the movies are in completely different genres.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

KittyEmpress posted:

We are gonna get a steamboat Willie movie where he's stalking and killing passengers on a steamboat, almost certainly.

Mickey traveling upriver in search of the legendary Agent Pete
“Never get off the boat, Minnie”

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The REAL Goobusters posted:

A Goofy Movie is a classic

One of Lynch’s best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7baCckh-XE

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

toggle posted:

Peaky Blinders. I’ve tried episode 1 about 3 times now and I just can’t finish it. Am I missing out on prestige looking tv?

Adding to the consensus here; you’re not missing out on that much. It gets REALLY formulaic too - oh no how are they going to get out of this complicated disaster this season! Well, luckily there’s an insane reveal in the last episode that Cillian Murphy has been playing 4D chess the entire time and has outmaneuvered everyone.

I think I watched the first three seasons before I had enough. If S1 doesn’t grab you, it doesn’t get better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Crawl is about gators during a Florida hurricane. It’s pretty good

Roar is an utterly insane film with an absurd amount of untrained big cats on screen made by a real-life lunatic. It’s supposed to be a lighthearted comedy. 70 members of the cast and crew were injured, some severely. Despite this, the movie is somehow fairly boring

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

yoohoo posted:

Spawn is pretty quintessential 90’s to me. It’s got action, violence, love, flashbacks, John Leguizamo, fart jokes, and extremely questionable cgi.

Plus it was obviously meant to be an origin story to a movie franchise that never happened

Oh, and you can’t forget the gimmick soundtrack where every song is a forced collab between a rock/metal band and an electronic group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ymgve posted:

Was it actually a collab? I thought most of the tracks were just remixes

A mix of both. Metallica’s not going to give a drat but at least Filter / Crystal Method and Manson / Sneaker Pimps sort-of collaborated. Some of the “collabs” are highly questionable; like I’m not sure if Kerry King played some riffs over the telephone to Alec Empire or if he just sampled random Slayer songs but No Remorse is 99.9% ATR.