Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A few other free services to check out:

ShoutfactoryTV: Free stuff from Shoutfactory of course. They have a smaller selection than other services but they do have a big selection of Mystery Science Theater 3000 as well as RIfftrax, The Film Crew, and Cinematic Titanic.

Kanopy: Free, but you do have to be a student/staff/faculty at a participating school, or member of a participating library. It has a variety of movies, documentaries, and some tv programming. Notably they have a large collection of movies from A24 and Criterion.

The Roku Channel: Free, and they do have some random movies and tv shows that are ONLY streaming here.

Comet: An OTA digital sub channel that also has a free live web stream. More channels should do this. Their programming is sci-fi/horror

Charge: Sister channel to Comet but their shows are all action oriented.

ESPN+ : This is not going to get you feeds of ESPN, ESPN2, etc. It's a whole other set of sports poo poo. You'll need to go to their site and see if they have what you want. Depending on the college teams you follow, this service might be the only way to watch those games. Also, if you like NHL or MLB, this could be a cheap way to watch a lot of your team's games.

A few other notes for some of the services mentioned in the OP:

Shudder: I highly recommend subscribing to this directly from Shudder.com. If you sub through AMC+, Amazon, Apple, etc, you do not get access to the Shudder live feed which means you could miss out on content or it can be a long wait before it shows up in the on demand section.

Paramount+ : The premium tier gives you a live stream of your local CBS affiliate. Depending on the shows you like to watch, this could be a good deal. Also, depending on where you live and what football teams you follow, this could give you a cheap way to catch most of your favorite team's games. More streaming services need to offer something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

Can anyone explain the state of Hulu vs Peacock? Seems like there is currently a lot of overlap, but is all NBC content moving to Peacock eventually?

You're correct. Hulu was originally a joint venture between the big 4 networks. It's now wholly owned by Disney but there's still content agreements in place. These agreements are all starting to expire so stuff is disappearing. The Paramount/Viacom stuff is all disappearing now. Not sure when the NBCU stuff will start going away but you can count on it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mystes posted:

Are they just going to shut it down at some point?

Hulu? Nah. Hulu is used for their other stuff they don't want to put on Disney+. You've got the FX/FXX content, the whole live TV thing, sports, and other Disney/Fox stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

precision posted:

shudder is the only streaming app that feels like it was designed by people who know what they are doing, and were paid

It started out rough, but it's pretty good these days. My only complaint is that some movies come and go pretty quick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, PBS has starting to put things on their own website, which MIGHT be free. I’ve forgotten if you need to authenticate or not for access, and if that’s dependent on your local affiliate or not.

They have stuff that's free but you do have to tell it what your local PBS affiliate is. That's for the live feed and probably for viewership data. They do have a paywall for some things though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I just found out that Tubi has the Batman 1960's TV series. I wondered why and somehow I totally missed the fact they were acquired by Fox (the pieces of Fox that Disney didn't get) which would explain it.

Anyway, it's really wild show and if you've never seen it but only heard about it or seen clips or spoofs, check it out. The show looks amazing in high definition.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I just got an email from Pluto letting me know they now have a Perry Mason channel.

https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/perry-mason

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Fringe streaming services are so vastly cooler than the big guys

I don't know if I'd consider Pluto fringe anymore. I'll give Viacom/CBS credit for this: Ever since they acquired Pluto, they've done a really good job of getting the back catalog of CBS and Paramount owned old TV shows on there. There's stuff on there that's not on Paramount Plus for whatever reason.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I stopped watching Pluto after it kept serving me non-stop alt-right propaganda during the ad breaks. Has it calmed down a bit?

I assume the ads are targeted based on region or other factors because I don't recall seeing those.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Polygon actually tracked down the etymology and yeah it was a regularly used term. 40 years ago when you scored high enough to get a free play in Pac Man.

I feel like an old man seeing people not know what ‘free guy’ means.

punk rebel ecks posted:

No gamer gives a poo poo about pre-crash gaming.

This is definitely not true. Retro gaming, even pre-crash stuff, is popular.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

cool Im gonna check this out. looks like its on hbo super max plus

Banshee is the best trash tv show I've ever seen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery on Paramount Plus was not good, and the first half of season 4 was even worse with lots of emphasis on the feelings over all of the crew, and extended shots of everyone hugging each other.

But god drat it, the second half of season 4 has drawn me back in, and I'm genuinely excited for the finale next week.

Also, has Matt Ross ever not played a villain?

There's some decent ideas in there but it's ruined by the atrocious dialogue and the fact every single loving line by everyone is said in a whispered manner.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Chris Rock is a top tier comedian. But he’s a terrible dramatic actor.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah I had forgotten just how much penis was in the old jackass movies. Though I think this one was definitely excessive.

In an interview I think Knoxville or Tremaine said they had to edit out a lot of penis footage to avoid an NC-17 rating.

Good thing we've got Jackass 4.5 coming :getin:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Devils is back on Shudder, for now.

They just put up some other good poo poo on Shudder.

Candyman
Evil Dead 1 & 2
The Fog
Near Dark
Serpent and the Rainbow
The Funhouse

Puppet Master movies later this month.

New season of Joe Bob starts at the end of the month too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"Five Easy Pieces" is on now HBO Max. I've never been particularly intrigued by the description of this movie but it is highly rated and I think jack even got an oscar? Basically should I watch it

He got a nomination.

It’s really good and one of those ‘important’ American films.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody checked out Tokyo vice yet?

It’s really loving good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The fight scenes mostly suck because the CG Moon Knight costume is loving terrible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The first of the month used to be a fun time, it used to be when Netflix would add a whole bunch of popular movies to their service. Now the First is as empty and hollow as an endlessly buffering reaplayer video from 2002

Tubi is the new Netflix.

https://thestreamable.com/news/what-s-steaming-on-tubi-in-may-2022-including-twilight-saga-bad-influence

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Barry season three is good as hell but that’s no surprise

I love that it's only 30 minutes so there's no wasted time at all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Wait they rotate their own catalog? They don't just have it all for viewing?

I didn't look at that list, but is it all 'their own catalog?' HBO/HBO Max, does get movies from other places. The HBO tv channel always added/dropped movies every month, and that's reflected on HBO Max as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, stuff produced by HBO never rotates.
Stuff owned by WB will rotate because, even they're owned by the same company, HBO still needs to pay licensing costs to the division that owns the rights.

I think WB also isn't totally averse to selling streaming rights to other outfits for a time. I remember Peacock had the Harry Potter movies on there for a little while. I would assume those deals would have some sort of exclusivity. I didn't check but I figure that during that time, those movies were not on HBO Max.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

istewart posted:

Thanks to the early posters in the thread for pointing out Kanopy; I logged in with my library card and was impressed by the selection. I'd actually never seen Chinatown, so I finally caught up with that, and I plan on watching Moonlight next as I intended to watch it after it won Best Picture but never got around to it. Any suggestions for my other two credits for the month on there?

You can do a search for ‘Criterion’ or ‘A24’ and bring up those respective collections. Can’t go wrong with anything in there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Alongside Kanopy, there’s also Hoopla that works with your library card.

There’s a bunch of streaming services for libraries, so everyone should definitely hit up their library website and see which ones they offer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

Holy poo poo like half of this should have been in the movie

I haven't watched it yet but is it possible it was cut in order to keep the R rating?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

precision posted:

alright yeah i'm just half through season 1 but For All Mankind has quickly rocketed to "most favored show" status

although, it also makes me feel like i'm going completely insane, because i could have sworn to absolute Christ that i had watched the pilot a while ago, and that there was a twist at the end of the pilot which was that the Americans were faking their moon mission because the soviets had got there first. But that's not what happens. Am I thinking of some other alternate history astronaut show in recent memory??

There’s an older movie called Capricorn One in which the US does fake the moon landing. Not sure if that’s what you’re thinking of. It’s a good movie and worth checking out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I love Party Down but has any show done the 'came back a decade later and was as good as the original' thing successfully

Genuinely cannot think of even a single example

Kids in the Hall just pulled it off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Autofocus is on The Roku Channel (which has been quietly getting good content.

If you've never seen it, definitely check it out. It's a Paul Schrader directed movie starring Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe. It's the true life story of Bob Crane (Kinnear) of Hogan's Heroes fame and his 'friend' John Carpenter (not that John Carpenter). I don't want to say more so as not to spoil anything.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 31, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

precision posted:

watching Auto Focus now and how did i never know that Richard Dawson was on hogan's heroes and was british???

Hogan's Heroes is a legit funny sitcom and I definitely recommend tracking it down. Sadly it's not streaming anywhere though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Signed up for AMC plus thinking I can watch better call Saul's latest season but nope
So where?

I think the each episode is only on there for so many days after it airs. Does AMC+ have the AMC live stream? I’m sure they air them in re-runs. Aside from that, gonna have to wait for it to drop on Netflix.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GoodApollo posted:

Anybody else have a lot of problems with Paramount Plus? The only reason I have it is for my kid and I can only get it working on my Roku box. Streams won't start on any browser (tried multiple computers), straight up cannot sign in on any of our iPad or iPhone devices. Support is no help.

Do you have any sort of VPN on your client or router? Are you using a different DNS (again on client or router) to get around regional lockouts for content?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don't forget Kanopy. It's free but you have to get it through a public library system or educational institution. If you have a .EDU email address, try signing up, otherwise go through your library.

It has a ton of stuff. It has things from Criterion and A24 just to give you an idea.

edit: I forgot some words because I can't type.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 20, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheMopeSquad posted:

Maybe this a deep cut but I watched this show called Crashing a while ago and thought it was excellent it's kinda a fictional-semi-autobiographical show about Pete Holmes playing Pete Holmes and his life trying to become a stand-up comedian.

It was pretty good. Artie Lange is in a few episodes too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd say that The Sopranos is one of the best shows in the history of the medium. It's absolutely worth checking out.

Also everything from Danny McBride/Jody Hill: Eastbound and Down, Vice Principals, Righteous Gemstones.

edit: Shame on me for forgetting The Larry Sanders Show. Another must watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

nonathlon posted:

In contrast, Prime has stuck Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey on its front page, luring me in, and that is not a good film. To the point that while I'm watching it, I'm trying to explain why I don't enjoy it. It's a movie that's afraid you might start checking your phone, so it slams a new character or a plot twist onscreen every 5 minutes.

It's not a good movie at all. It's two totally fine movies stuck together. It should have been a Harley & Cassandra movie OR just a BOP movie with Huntress and Montoya. The fight scenes are poo poo, which is weird given they had the John Wick people work on them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah what they gently caress are they thinking?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So when HBO Max inevitably gets killed, are they going to bring back HBO GO or a similar service? Or will this new service still let people watch HBO content?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yes they are distinct, and apparently you CAN just sub to HBO and stream it even though it's the same price as HBO Max.

This is a clusterfuck. HBO, just tell me what I'll need to do so I can watch Righteous Gemstones S3 when it drops.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The first two episodes of the new Beavis and Butthead dropped today.

First half of episode 1 was kinda weak. The rest was really good. I was laughing pretty hard at them riffing on an ASMR video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Sopranos is peak 'prestige drama'

Everything after that has always just been an attempt to recapture that lightning in a bottle.