Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
This is a cool thread, but putting Super Baseball 2020 down in the same tier as Riding Hero is some bullshit.

quote:

See those red squares? Those are "zones". They're littered around the edges of the field. There's no foul line or fence in Super Baseball 2020. Instead, there's one small home run zone centered directly in the back, and a few foul zones in the periphery. Every ball you hit outside those zones is fair play. Even if you knock it into the rafters, it'll roll back onto the field, because of the dome. Do you know how obnoxious it is to absolutely crank it, and then get caught out anyway?

Yeah, that doesn't actually happen, because any ball you blast into the stands counts the same as a grounder once it rolls back on to the field. The other team can't catch you out unless they nab the ball before it hits an object. And the power-up system is pretty cool.

There are some problems with the mechanics: the lack of an infield fly rule, and the way a fielder's AI will sometimes make them chase a ball too far before switching to another player. But it's a darn fun game with a lot of neat ideas that aren't found anywhere else.

It's also a disservice to call Last Resort "drab." SNK was imitating Irem's densely detailed arcade games, and there's a lot of quality work in the backgrounds and designs, all well before ex-Irem folk would come aboard and make Metal Slug for SNK. The first stage's Neo Tokyo backdrop is still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Coffee Jones posted:

I don’t even remember seeing the AES advertised in game magazines (I’ll allow I’m probably too young, and too Nintendo focused in 1990) , and every one of these ads I can find only mentions launch era titles. Never saw it in stores, never saw any demos. Really don’t know how the word would get out unless you were a 20-30 something arcade nut in the 80’s. Maybe things are different in Japan.

Makes me want to stuff the cost of a mid-tier gaming PC into an envelope to buy a system sight-unseen

I haven't seen it posted here yet, so I'll be the one to share the most notorious Neo Geo ad.

https://twitter.com/nbajambook/status/1305218528304418819?t=HCq_npDvdkWSs3_kx1ET3g&s=19

Yes, this actually ran in magazines--computer magazines, since it was too racy for GamePro or EGM.