Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
So what's the evidence Russia might invade? I understand they mass troops on the border every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Unfortunately for zippy, unlike American soldiers, the Russian ones can fight and would probably not be cowed by the majestic display.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Which is turbo lol because the kievan rus was always a multi ethnic polity with the rus being a small minority

Weka
May 5, 2019

Preoptopus posted:

As a child immigrant Russo American living in the states, i for one am dreading the amount of ethnic slurs that are about to be thrown my way by idiots.

Yankee

Weka
May 5, 2019

You can't even fit one ukelele in a lightbulb so I don't know how they're supposed to have sex in there.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wonder what all of the chuds feel about this because Trump is constantly sucking Putin's balls. So do they love Russia or what? Do they want Russia to go to war and win against the Ukraine?

:wrong:

"As a result, during Trump’s four years in power, a record forty-plus rounds of sanctions have been slapped on Russia."
https://carnegiemoscow.org/commentary/83282

Do you just uncritically get your news from CNN?

Weka
May 5, 2019

lol. No. It's the constant dick sucking from Trump over many years that led to my opinion.

So go ahead and shut the gently caress up. You're a lovely poster.

Ah, a personal attack and no information. I do agree with you that 1/6 was a terrorist attack but only because large swathes of the American people are extremely easily terrorized by a crowd of people largely (completely? ) without firearms wandering through a building.

Grape posted:

Do you uncritically get your news from Russian backed think tanks lmao.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-a-us-think-tank-fell-for-putin

Lol, maybe you're right, it was just the first thing I grabbed from google, but here's noted liberal aligned NPR saying much the same thing before the final wave of sanctions the outgoing administration imposed.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/20/630659379/is-trump-the-toughest-ever-on-russia

Anyway I'd still love to see some evidence that this year is somehow different to last year in terms of Russia's likelyhood to invade.

Weka
May 5, 2019

From the cursed images thread

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah I feel like the change to The Canada just rolls of the tongue better anyway.

Weka
May 5, 2019

You know how Russian influence in American elections has been made into a pretty big deal recently? Well in America, there's this thing called the National Endowment for Democracy. It's a NGO primarily funded by the government. What do they do? Here's a couple of quotes.

In 1986, NED's President Carl Gershman said that the NED was created because "It would be terrible for democratic groups around the world to be seen as subsidized by the CIA. We saw that in the 1960's and that's why it has been discontinued".

In 1991 a cofounder of the National Endowment for Democracy, Allen Weinstein, explained its work by saying, “A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA.”

Now if you go to the following link you will see the NED pumped about 6 million dollars into Ukraine in 2020.
https://www.ned.org/region/central-and-eastern-europe/ukraine-2020/

They also put about a million bucks iirc into Kazakhstan. It's hard not to see this sort of activity designed to foment regime change as anything but aggression towards Russia. Especially when you compare these totals to the amount of money they put into the gulf states (they don't give individual figures for these for some reason), which while incredibly undemocratic are American allies.

Edit: I'm not saying Russia should invade Ukraine, just that if they do one of the reasons is American interference.

Edit: that infographic comparing Ukrainian and Russian forces is kind of a joke in that it has nothing about drones or missiles, which are probably what would allow Russia to steamroll Ukraine.

Weka fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 22, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

Deptfordx posted:

A million bucks to Kazakhstan! Whoa!!! I'm sure that will impress the massively corrupt oligarch billionaires who run the place.

Also looking at that article you linked.

Chosen at random, but it's all supporting dozens of small projects like the above.

Not much of a casus belli for Putin I can't help but feel.

The point is not to bribe oligarchs, it's to get enough people protesting in the streets that you can point at it and say the people yearn for freedom.
I'd love to hear what you think the NED hopes to achieve with this spending.

Also the American military has a pretty similar suicide rate as in that wiki article about the Russian bombing but I guess that's more about all the war crimes.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Where's that bellend cat guy when you need him?

Hey it's a busy time for him right now.

That hockey game is basically what's going to happen to Ukraine if they invade. Which sucks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm not sure that an intelligence service communicating with foreign politicians is particularly damning. By that metric every major power is about to invade half the countries in the world.

Perhaps the solution here is to integrate Russia into the European community rather than doing things like sanctioning their evil gas pipelines.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Grape posted:

So you're saying that the response to them attacking Ukraine should be rewards.

First post communist sanctions against Russia were in 2005.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Lotta russian apologists here.

Guess what. The US being bad doesn't make Russia good.

No, but it does make Russia's actions more understandable. If the number one world wide psycho killer state was gunning for you, perhaps you would engage in some questionable moral practices to defend yourself.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah it seems to be all stick and no carrot.

Weka
May 5, 2019

dk2m posted:

Lmfao you’re right actually, but what really sucks is the CSPAM thread holy poo poo they all have bloodlust and hate america to a comical degree

Where is this thread I couldn't find it?

THS2 posted:

The US sure loving does want to invade now

I don't think they do. I think it's brinkmanship, a way to sell weapons and an excuse for more sanctions that are economically in their favour like the nordstream stuff.

Weka
May 5, 2019

blight rhino posted:

wheres the numbers

millions

not saying we didnt gently caress poo poo up. but, you keep mentioning millions

Almost a million directly killed according to this. By the time you add deaths from malnutrition, starvation, lack of clean drinking water etc...

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/costs/human

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Who could possibly care if Russia invades the modern capital of neo-nazism?

Nobody is talking about Russia invading America

Colonel Cancer posted:

US should invade Canada in retaliation

The Canada.

Weka
May 5, 2019

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

sad to see a man post so angrily on gods day, the day of rest

Chun Saturday is held to be the sabbath by every church apart from iirc some weirdo Americans. I thought you said you were a big bible fan.

Weka
May 5, 2019

According to wiki, according to the government of Ukraine, 14,000 people have died in the donbass conflict. That's a rounding error compared to the amount of children America's blockade of Yemen has starved to death.

So to whoever the idiot was who said the American government is way better than the Russian one, you are dumb or brainwashed, probably both.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

Yeah anything less than 500,000 rounds down to 0 since we are dealing with millions.

930k directly rear end in a top hat.

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/costs/human

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

Yeah, because I compare countries on the basis of a single criteria. Like a child.

What is worse than starving 100,000 children to death?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

It was not just in Iraq. That was in conflicts in the region. Please read the article before you rage post.

Sorry the thread is moving too quickly I missed that the goalposts shifted.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

By your criteria, a country could be an utopian paradise but if they starve 100,001 children to death then they are worse.

Must be tough being a dog.

Russia is an order of magnitude off just this small part of one American atrocity.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

The original frothing lunatic was talking about “millions of dead in Iraq” and that was the report he used to support his claim.

Nah THS said Iraq and Afghanistan and I posted that link.

THS2 posted:

we literally killed millions of people in Iraq and Afghanistan

Xenocides posted:

Your posting.

Lol. How many starved children would you say my posting equates to? For bragging rights.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

Seeing as how Russia recent closed down Memorial, and are working harder than ever to close NGOs focusing on human rights, something that the US doesn’t do, you should evaluate the quality of the data coming out of Russia.

As I said that's Ukraine government stats.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dandywalken posted:

like four tops

I don't know whether to be insulted or complimented.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

I don’t even know who you are.

Strong words... from the ghost of GHW Bush!

Weka
May 5, 2019

dk2m posted:

I left to pick up some croissants and then chilled at the beach what did I miss

Did you see the bit where somebody said it was bad Russia invaded nazi Germany?

Weka
May 5, 2019

dk2m posted:

THS is cool imo :patriot:
Empty quote.

Betty Wight posted:

This made me giggle the more I thought about it. Thanks

I've gone from having a posting level of over 100k dead children to making an ex-CIA director laugh. I need to reevaluate my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Don't look at me, I have the body of a young Vladimir Putin.