Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I don't know about that. They are marketing to have over 600 different units. I think it's quite possible unit roster will be as messy as before, it's just that we are only seeing 2 class A divisions right now. Some reserve West German division may still feature 3 different types of M48 and Leopard 1 A1 to 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Probably nothing fancy. Grenzer is probably going to be low quality, cheap, recon with just rifles and RPG. While the jager recon'd just be full rifle squad with a recon tag.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

What does the battlegroup/platoon function do? Does it pregroup units?

It groups unit...but not in a numbered control group. It's weird. Not sure if they changed it since release.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The new iteration of the UI sort of help since it now display the HP and suppression status of all units so you can see these information without having to select individual units. Team game also tends to have smaller frontage for each player, so it's easier to keep track of things.

Campaign with persistent unit is the last thing on their roadmap. Though I hope they really improve it from how it was implemented in SD2.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I recently started playing again after noticing the player number has been growing steadily to 1500 peak currently. Not bad. The UI has many more improvements. The new unit label can tell you current suppression and hp at a glance. Also fractional HP is now displayed, which I think helps with clarity, especially for infantry combat.

LOS tool is improved and you can use it to check visibility against different optic vs stealth level quickly. It seems the aim time for weapons is increased so tanks are not deleting things the moment they are spotted. I think this feels better. They implemented the double B to smoke self thing I wanted, and it feels pretty good to use. I saved many tanks and IFV with it when 6 T80UD and T80U suddenly appeared in my sector.

Besides some outliner, AA seems "fairer". There's less IR AA that just has huge anti-aircraft range because that's the paid DLC's faction or minor nation's one gimmick unit (like the Norwegian HAWK). Also I guess the division system means a lot of the better AA pieces are simply not available to some popular division, and there's less experimental weapons around.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 9, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
First content update of the year: first iteration of map editor, a first for Eugen game (actually maybe they have this for their earlier game, I guess first for their Iris Engine game). Vet rework (vet now gives different, more relevant bonus depending on unit type), initial batch of division rework, some new models.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Its on steam next fest you should just be able to request access and get into it.

I think it sucks honestly

Due to server issue they've temporarily stopped accepting new request.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The update is out, adding a small AG campaign, the tank rework patch, and more ongoing adjustments to make the divisions more unique. AG is...well, it's not like we didn't have it already in SD2 so I don't know what the hype is about. I don't hate it, but it's got many flaws. The game mode for the skirmish battle seems to be changed to some kind of hybrid thing where you have to capture and hold to get VP, OR if one side suffers enough losses one side will break.

Tank rework patch seems to mostly increase the armor of the cheaper tanks, but also increase their price quite significantly. I think this is a pretty big nerf since their armor is still in the 2-shot kill threshold from 120/125mm guns, but the price is increased by 20-40%.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

How is the AG? I was thinking of waiting until launch before trying.

It is somewhat more clear on what and why things are happening than in Steel Division 2. The formation composition is a bit better, no more infantry with no transport, all formation has at least some AA and AT (though the 4 Stingers and 2 PIVADS is probably not nearly enough when vs entire tactical bomber wing). The one scenario we have currently is extremely small, with only around 20 counters on the map, with NATO starting with literally only 1 active counter (compares to SD2 where even the smallest scenario probably has 30+ counters). There's less strategic action to do (no fortifying, no artillery/air interdiction), no income for buying new reinforcement, it seems reinforcement just arrive on a schedule and event).

It is still hampered by the bad AI and small map pool. The AI does somewhat better on defense (seems to at least put dispersed ATGM all over built up area). On the attack they are utterly hopeless as they send waves of IFV into the guns of your tanks instead of avoiding your main force or wait to build up more mass or any other sensible action. Tactical battle plays somewhat differently than your typical MP match since units are still priced according to type (all tanks are 4pt each, all infantry 2pt each, same as SD2, basically). It's more macro-y since you can have soooo many expensive units.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2024

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Additionally, this is the last major update in EA. The next one will be 1.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Ehhhh, men in houses is manageable because houses can now be destroyed quite quickly with artillery. Though ruined building still provide cover and concealment, it no longer block line of sight so oftentimes town will just get totally flattened, which allows the whole enemy army to focus fire. Also unit regain stealth much slower (needs more than 10 sec, maybe 15?) so infantry stay revealed once they start shooting.

Modern MBT is good, but their TTK against their peers is somewhat long, not to mention smoke launcher now allows easy disengage. Flanking or heavy ATGM added to the mix will give more decisive result.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 28, 2024