Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I used to have it chronically, and as I aged it happens far less frequently, but usually when it does, it's an all night thing where it happens over and over again, unless I take a break and stay up for a while.

A few things that is different about mine than what I hear as common effects, is it never felt like someone is sitting on me. I've also never seen "demons" in the room, and that's not a joke. A common experience with sleep paralysis is seeing "demons".

I have seen someone in my room only a few times. The one I remember is someone just walking in, and I remember feeling pissed off that someone would just walk in without knocking or something first, then I realized I am laying down on my bed and stuck, and when this person looked at me, their face looked like static from an old television, which scared the living heck out of me. My eyes were clearly open, because I could look around my room.

The sensation I always have, which I never hear about, is an air sound starts by my ears, and it feels like I'm zooming forward, and if I fight it, the air noise and zooming forward becomes more intense. I also hallucinate and see impossible, indescribable things. It usually results in so much fear that I just stay up for a large portion of the night. It's not like a nightmare, but more like a reality that you're not supposed to see, and kind of destroys your ego or sense of self.

One thing I've learned is just to not fight it and relax instead, and try to let it pass. I avoid caffeine past 4pm and odd sleep schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The pain poo poo still happens to me though, if I get shot in a dream or stabbed or whatnot, I feel this really dull and distant version of that pain. It's so loving weird. Best I could guess is that I'm sleeping in a weird position and not waking up so my brain decides to translate that discomfort and pain into a narrative in my dream.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a lot of fun

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Mister Speaker posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo about? It hasn't happened to me in years, but today I got it twice. It was mild both times, I was able to snap from it in a few seconds, but the wincing and inability to escape whatever your nightmare mind is currently on is really disquieting, needless to say.

Is there something biological going on, is my cortisol shot to pieces or something? Am I drinking too much? (I am.) Sleeping too late? (I am.) Depressed and unable to leave the bed for days at a time? (I am.)

Do you ever get sleep paralysis? How often? How much is it affected by your mood and stress levels?

Yes, 3-4 times a week, get some good coping skills because its awful. Awful enough you'd probably want to be a goatse reenactor that does regular gigs instead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
it's not that bad you just need to become very powerful in the dream realm. You can do this if you buy my book

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Anyone ever have their leg just violently twitch themselves awake? It usually happens to me when I’m dreaming I’m falling from a great height (those dreams happen more than I’d like to).

It’s like my body is telling itself to wake up right the gently caress now because I never see the end result of my fall. Lucid dreaming, maybe?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

You Are A Elf posted:

Anyone ever have their leg just violently twitch themselves awake? It usually happens to me when I’m dreaming I’m falling from a great height (those dreams happen more than I’d like to).

It’s like my body is telling itself to wake up right the gently caress now because I never see the end result of my fall. Lucid dreaming, maybe?

this is called a hypnogogic jerk and it is a muscle spasm occurring after your body has started to go to sleep but before it has finished, this is also what causes us to fee like we are falling rifght before falling asleep fully soemtimes

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Sid Vicious posted:

this is called a hypnogogic jerk and it is a muscle spasm occurring after your body has started to go to sleep but before it has finished, this is also what causes us to fee like we are falling rifght before falling asleep fully soemtimes

:monocle: I’ll be a son of a gun. Did not know this had an explanation and name. Thanks!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I have a roommate who, at least once, perhaps three times a week, decides that its okay to come out to the kitchen at about 4:30 AM, rather than staying in their room, to use their speakerphone to do automated calls like paying bills, confirming appointments, etc. They also use that time to facetime family, often getting so excited that they're like laugh-shouting the call while the other person is laugh-shouting back. I use earplugs and normally don't wake up until about 8 AM or a little before, but on the days where I'm hit with excessive cackling before dawn, I get to spend the next few hours having a short dream, maybe 5-15 minutes, waking up, realizing it was a dream and going back to bed over and over again, non-stop. They're all really vivid but about the most extremely mundane poo poo. Ten minutes of picking out fruit at the grocery, wake up. Five minutes arguing with friends in the car about what album to play, wake up. Ten minutes bitching with a co-worker about some other co-worker no-call no-showing again, wake up. For hours.

And yes, it has been discussed on more than one occasion but it doesn't appear that it will be stopping. I guess I'd rather have that than wake up to demons casting spells into my b-hole or whatever and being unable to do anything about it though.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

kill your roommate, in minecradt lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chief McHeath posted:

I have a roommate who, at least once, perhaps three times a week, decides that its okay to come out to the kitchen at about 4:30 AM, rather than staying in their room, to use their speakerphone to do automated calls like paying bills, confirming appointments, etc. They also use that time to facetime family, often getting so excited that they're like laugh-shouting the call while the other person is laugh-shouting back. I use earplugs and normally don't wake up until about 8 AM or a little before, but on the days where I'm hit with excessive cackling before dawn, I get to spend the next few hours having a short dream, maybe 5-15 minutes, waking up, realizing it was a dream and going back to bed over and over again, non-stop. They're all really vivid but about the most extremely mundane poo poo. Ten minutes of picking out fruit at the grocery, wake up. Five minutes arguing with friends in the car about what album to play, wake up. Ten minutes bitching with a co-worker about some other co-worker no-call no-showing again, wake up. For hours.

And yes, it has been discussed on more than one occasion but it doesn't appear that it will be stopping. I guess I'd rather have that than wake up to demons casting spells into my b-hole or whatever and being unable to do anything about it though.

That's basically psychological torture ngl, especially if it happens consistently week to week.

People who don't respect other people's sleep hygiene when they're keeping normal hours are straight up shitheads, no one takes that poo poo seriously but if someone has been loving your sleep up for a year, it can have really bad health consequences, both mental and physical.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Last time somebody posted a thread about sleep paralysis somebody said it wasn’t real and everybody in the thread who said they’d had it was lying for attention. Maybe not the very last time, maybe it was one of the times before that.

It’s happened to me twice, both times I was sleeping in hotels.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
It kind of spooked me out the first time it happened because it was new to me. I knew what it was already, though. See, my dad would tell this story when I was a kid about how he was 'attacked by demons' one night while in bed. Said he suddenly couldn't move and heard weird air rushing noises, couldn't scream, felt like something was pushing down on his chest. Me, being curious like I was, started looking into what that could actually be and found stories of sleep paralysis or the "night hag" as some people call it. I didn't believe in spooks and ghosts so I wanted to find out what it really is. I've had it a handful of times since then but now it's just annoying. I'm just glad it hasn't happened to me anytime where it would have been dangerous or deadly like while driving super tired (don't do that, kids).

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
I used to get it all the time back when I was drinking a shitload of liquor and sleeping weird hours in a really uncomfortable bed. I think it's related to sleep quality.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

I used to get it all the time back when I was drinking a shitload of liquor and sleeping weird hours in a really uncomfortable bed. I think it's related to sleep quality.

Yeah, I haven't had it happen to me once since I quit drinking a bottle of bourbon every single day. I still have horrible sleep quality, though.

QUID PRO BONO
Nov 23, 2007

What am I wearing? What are you wearing, Richard?
Is it sleep paralysis if I wake up and I feel like I can't move for hours, like the entire day? But also, it's more metaphorical and about living the same life in a rut for years?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

QUID PRO BONO posted:

Is it sleep paralysis if I wake up and I feel like I can't move for hours, like the entire day? But also, it's more metaphorical and about living the same life in a rut for years?

thats depression sorry bud

QUID PRO BONO
Nov 23, 2007

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

I think it's related to sleep quality.

Sleep is slow to come to me--and I sleep very shallowly--on my back. That's also the really only time I wake up remembering dreams or any of this weird poo poo happens.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Next time you are in sleep paralysis, just go with it. It can lead to some good lucid dreaming.

Catastrophe posted:

It kind of spooked me out the first time it happened because it was new to me. I knew what it was already, though. See, my dad would tell this story when I was a kid about how he was 'attacked by demons' one night while in bed. Said he suddenly couldn't move and heard weird air rushing noises, couldn't scream...

The air rushing sound. Every single time.

ramenpower fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 21, 2022

QUID PRO BONO
Nov 23, 2007

ramenpower posted:

The air rushing sound. Every single time.

Is it like the blood vessels in your ears while your heart is goin nuts?

edit: actually my doctor says it's demons

actual edit: Sometimes, when almost asleep, I wake up startled because suddenly I hear my own breath in a different, louder way. I think that's also demons.

QUID PRO BONO fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 21, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

last night i had a dream my cat had a facebook account and he was shitposting on my old roommate's cat's wall. just pages and pages of posts like "Hey, Jimmy, EAT poo poo!" followed by a chain of posts that just said "gently caress you!!" over and over again. I scrolled through and wanted to ask why he did this but cats cant talk. i woke up disappointed

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Whats the lighting conditions of your room your sleeping in? I found I had more waking dreams and sleep paralysis when I was sleeping in a room where there was low light but not totally dark conditions. I.e. neighbours light was bathing my room in a soft twilight.

Havent had anywhere near as many experiences before or since.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I self-induced sleep paralysis one summer because I wanted to see the demon.

It worked. Coincidentally, I am mentally ill

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Used to get it pretty regularly, especially if something about my sleep rythm changed. Like, if I took a 1h midday nap or after work nap, I'd get it in at night.

Here are the GABA top 5 tips to deal with sleep paralysis.

- Never, ever open your eyes. You will see really weird and scary poo poo sometimes. It's not worth the stress.

- chill out and wait, your brain will renenable motor function shortly. There is nothing you can do but wait.

- I you can still wiggle your toes in that state, do it. It distracts you and I think it speeds up the waking process.

- Don't immediately go back to sleep after because it will very likely happen again. Stand up, walk around do something else for a while before you try again.

- Never listen to the demons. They make a lot of sense and will try to convince you but it's all bullshit. Where would you even get that much ammonium nitrate without a licensed farm? Or the gun.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Get high and watch this after midnight

https://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Maxwell-Schneller/dp/B00YXBY1G6

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Some of my earliest memories are of sleep paralysis. I used to get it so frequently as a kid that I was convinced my family was in real danger from the "demon" or "goblin" or whatever it was that frequented my psyche. As I aged, I still had sleep paralysis just as frequently, but it was less about paranormal poo poo and more about terror of being paralyzed while semi conscious. Over time, I gradually tried leaning into it, and by the time I was early 20s, I'd learned to almost enjoy the experience. That's when it more or less completely stopped.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Good Sphere posted:

I used to have it chronically, and as I aged it happens far less frequently, but usually when it does, it's an all night thing where it happens over and over again, unless I take a break and stay up for a while.

A few things that is different about mine than what I hear as common effects, is it never felt like someone is sitting on me. I've also never seen "demons" in the room, and that's not a joke. A common experience with sleep paralysis is seeing "demons".

This is all the same for me. I also never really see poo poo but I get wild auditory hallucinations, using involving very loud bangs or someone in another room shouting (I live alone)

I eventually got quite good at staying calm as it happened a lot, now it happens maybe once every few years.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I don't think this has ever happened to me, thankfully. I do believe it's real though and I feel for those who suffer from it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think I've only had sleep paralysis once and I figured out what it was quick and stopped freaking out and fell back to sleep or something.

What I've experienced multiple times is exploding head syndrome. Where you are about to fall asleep and your brain makes up a police siren or bomb explosion just to gently caress with you. Only happens when I've been awake for long stretches which makes it all the more fun. Anyone else get that?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Good Sphere posted:

Same, I used to have it pretty frequently when I was younger and it thankfully occurs much less frequently now that I'm an old, decrepit man. I think this is fairly common for those that experience it.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I used to have hypnogogic (waking up) hallucinations as opposed to what we are talking about, which is hypnompompic (falling asleep). Basically after my first two sleep cycles I would wake up and thing that something evil was in my room, like a cloaked figure with a dagger (my chair with pants on it) was the most common. And even if I would like consciously say 'bollig, you're maknig this up' I would still get the poo poo scared out of me as I passed it to go pee and drink a cup of water. I colud feel the adrenaline pump through me as I walked past my chair. Or sometimes I would wake up and think all the people I had hung out with during the day had fallen asleep in the bed next to me. Or sometimes my dreams would flow into my new reality, like I would be awake but the visual input into my consciousness was the world I was dreaming in which would slowly morph into ~*reality*~. But anyway, weed really exacerbated it. And I'm essentially off that these days oh well. I had also been taking B vitamins to have crazy dreams (this is a pro tip if you want to have vivid dreams and piss iridescent yellow then take B vitamins), so I went off those. I was still getting them 3/4 of the nights until I started taking Magnesium, which seems to have done the trick. Haven't had one of those in a very long time, thank goodness. Although it meant I got to pee and then drink some water which I think meant I was a bit more refreshed.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ohhhhh look at me i know two different words ohhhhhh big man on campus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sid Vicious posted:

ohhhhh look at me i know two different words ohhhhhh big man on campus

he's got it backwards lmao

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i went to school past grade ten oooooooo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sleep paralysis owns in a generalized dread kind of way

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Personally I see sleep paralysis and false awakenings as proof there is no god and that we are truly alone.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Man all these people itt lying about a made up condition lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Colonel Cancer posted:

Sleep paralysis owns in a generalized dread kind of way

I actually liked it a few times, true. It happened so much that I sort of pushed the boundaries to see what would happen. I'd just prefer it not happen, though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I've never had sleep paralysis, but it sounds kind of like what my first two seizures were like -- abstract "nothing" thoughts swirling around in my head, inability to talk, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Milo and POTUS posted:

he's got it backwards lmao

Ah poo poo