Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

interwhat posted:

Man all these people itt lying about a made up condition lol

I haven’t even mentioned my fibromyalgia though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've never had sleep paralysis, but it sounds kind of like what my first two seizures were like -- abstract "nothing" thoughts swirling around in my head, inability to talk, etc.

Never had seizures but for me, at least, sleep paralysis always feels like this strange electric feeling in my limbs preventing me from moving no matter how hard I will it, and a feeling of generalized dread/oncoming doom, sometimes with strange shadowy figures appearing in the corner of my eye. It happens rarely enough but I pretty much always retain lucidity and just try to brute force my way to waking up but if you don't it tends to turn into a nightmare.

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
I’ve had sleep paralysis one time, and I was like “oh, this is sleep paralysis, cool, I’ve read about this” and spent the time contemplating the sinister patch of darker darkness that was standing by my bedroom door even though my eyes were closed. Briefly became alarmed when I got bored after a few minutes and was like “ok, time to wake up” and couldn’t until like my third or fourth effort to hurl myself out of bed and onto the floor. Mostly positive experience, 6/10.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I had nightmares and sleep paralysis so regularly as a child that I developed insomnia at a pretty early age because I was just too scared to fall asleep. I suffered from sleep paralysis a fair amount in college, too -- for me, it's definitely linked to high levels of stress and poor habits (like not exercising enough or drinking too much). Hat Man is the shadow person/demon who appears in all of my hallucinations, and I have never felt more pure evil and malevolence from anything in my life. I definitely understand how people think aliens are abducting them or Satan is tormenting them or whatever. I just know better now, so it annoys me more than anything else when it happens.

Anyway, I'd link y'all to Hat Man but it's kind of like a Candlejack thing where I don't want to invoke him, so go have fun on Google. The fact that so many people are haunted by some Humphrey Bogart rear end motherfucker is kind of funny, though.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 22, 2022

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

It's my understanding that it's a kind of normal thing to prevent sleep walking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

kntfkr posted:

What I've experienced multiple times is exploding head syndrome. Where you are about to fall asleep and your brain makes up a police siren or bomb explosion just to gently caress with you. Only happens when I've been awake for long stretches which makes it all the more fun. Anyone else get that?

All the time between ages 12 and 24, sometimes beyond, but maybe once a year now. Always sounded like a massive clap of thunder or a car crash to me. Eventually I just kinda dealt with it.

I also sleep walked a lot aged 12-16 or so. No recollection of that.

I attribute it to poor sleep.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 23, 2022