Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm an American that is currently outside the US. I originally planned to move back but due to COVID and various other situations it looks like I'm stuck where I'm at for a bit longer. I'm still planning on returning and I maintain all my US accounts and my US address. What I did not maintain was a US phone number. This has proven to be a pain in the rear end and I ended up having to use family (bank account is set to my mother's phone, Paypal my sister's, and so on.) I want to be able to receive codes and texts myself without bothering my family anymore (Paypal woke up my sister with a text message last week when I spent $9 on something).

All the normal VoIP services I've seen/tried don't work with banking and such for receiving codes. My next idea was set up a Pi with a SIM and have somebody plug it in a corner and just have it forward SMSs to email or a chat app, but nobody in my family is technical enough to be willing to be walked through the setup of the device and the SIM. I've looked at US plans with international texting but $60/month is a bit steep for my needs - same with many of the SMS forwarding services I see from googling (a bit on the expensive side AND I'm not sure how trustworthy all these companies are).

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've got an old phone number parked at NumberBarn for $2/month. It works with text messages but has limitations. It's worked for 2FA about half the time.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
I use a free Google Voice number which works for most 2FA stuff I've tried. You do have to be in the US to sign up for a number, but you could probably ask a family member to help you out there.