Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The entirety of Resident Evil 1’s mansion is probably the greatest environment in all of games IMO. It creates an atmosphere of dread and (for the player) coziness (in the “telling horror stories around a campfire” sense) that has yet to be surpassed. Honestly RE1 on PS1 is my ideal of “horror game you play late at night in the dark while snowed in and sipping whisky.” It’s a very specific vibe but I don’t know that any game hits it better.

Metal Gear Solid also gets a nod for Shadow Moses. Despite the blocky graphics, MGS1 really created a sense of place with its setting. The entire stretch from press start through crawling under the big internal hanger door to avoid the lasers is probably the gold standard in terms of stealth action gameplay and I’m not sure we’ve eclipsed it - 24 years on we still haven’t improved upon the (sadly revoked in future installments) “mash square to get rapid fire grunts and ultimately snap a neck” technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
It’s an absolute hate crime that this thread got more than 3 posts in without mentioning facility from Goldeneye 64. You start the level in an air vent quietly shooting a man in the head while he takes a dump and it ends with you planting goddamn remote mines like a boss. We take both these type of mechanics for granted now but the fact they pulled them off so well on the N64 of all things speaks to the general quality of the game, even if the 15fps doesn’t hold up at all.