Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

From now on if the game goes to OT both teams head home and the remainder of the game is played by the Lions (home) and the Bears (away).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

What if it gives more power to punters?

My dumbass idea that will never happen to eliminate coin tosses is punters get a free kick from the 20, call their shot on where the ball ends up (must travel at least 30 yards to avoid shenanigans), and whoever is closer wins. Kicks happen at the same time, visiting team gets to choose which hash they punt from.

Make punting fun again!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fartknocker posted:

What if it gives more power to punters?

We had the worst punter in the NFL this season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tim Whatley posted:

Instead of a coin flip, OT should be decided by each O Line coming out and having to eat a 6 foot sub the quickest as a team. It lets the defense rest and gives the big boys a nice treat. Who says no

"Patrick. I'd like to be alone with the sandwich."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

Here’s a wild one: for OT, each team gets one offensive play before official OT starts. The team with the greatest gain of yards gets the ball to start for OT. Extenuating rules for scoring, picks, etc. This is probably overly complicated though but it sounds fun.

Sounds perfect.

Uhhh...coin flip to decide who goes first?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someone brought up a bidding system. You bid where you start the drive from, furthest distance wins the ball. Overtime rules otherwise unchanged.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Why is everyone making up these complicated rules? Just play extra quarters until it's no longer tied. At least for the playoffs, gimmicky rules can stay for the regular season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barudak posted:

Someone brought up a bidding system. You bid where you start the drive from, furthest distance wins the ball. Overtime rules otherwise unchanged.

So, a BattleTech batchall? I can get behind that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

From now on if the game goes to OT both teams head home and the remainder of the game is played by the Lions (home) and the Bears (away).

OT is decided by a turducken eating contest held between the groups of linemen. Any team that won a Thanksgiving Day game is credited one turducken. Most turduckens devoured wins.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
The ideal method for comparing two football teams has already been devised, and it's called football. No OT in the regular season, full 15 minute quarters until there is a winner in the playoffs.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

Why is everyone making up these complicated rules? Just play extra quarters until it's no longer tied. At least for the playoffs, gimmicky rules can stay for the regular season.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
If they'd implemented MULTIBALL none of this would have happened.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Imo a team that gives up two tuddies in lile 45 seconds of game time doesn't get to bitch about overtime rules.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Timby posted:

So, a BattleTech batchall? I can get behind that.

I am Offensive Team Captain Josh Allen of Clan Blue Buffalo. What forces defend this stadium from my mighty horns?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Eifert Posting posted:

Imo a team that gives up two tuddies in lile 45 seconds of game time doesn't get to bitch about overtime rules.

Yea, the Chiefs aren’t complaining

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kiimo posted:

I was champing at the bit to say this

literally or figuratively?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Sounds perfect.

Simultaneous plays from their own 25s. 22 men each on the field; allocate them however they'd like.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

overtime rules should be changed but lol
13 seconds
chiefs came back with 13 seconds and won
i get that bills fans are upset but lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FizFashizzle posted:

Brady’s entire career has been coasting through trash divisions while the other teams are dead by the time they get to the playoffs.

Doesn’t get much more trash than what the nfc south will be next season

That's actually the Packers, except in the end they never win poo poo. The NFC North is a big collection of stiffs

The Packers are the real version of what everyone always said the Patriots were

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Turdfuzz posted:

overtime rules should be changed but lol
13 seconds
chiefs came back with 13 seconds and won
i get that bills fans are upset but lol

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Sounds perfect.

They can do it simultaneously!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
OT ideas to make no one but players and networks happy

- Regular season has no OT. Games end in ties. Ties are fine, extra games means that you've already lost the perfect symmetry of 8-8 anyway.

- Postseason games that are tied at end of regulation go to time of possession. It creates extra drama on final drives, induces more 2pt attempts, and is completely within normal football rules. Old school football dinosaurs would love it, networks would love it because games end on time, players would love it because they play fewer plays per game.

Fans would probably hate it idk.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Penisaurus Sex posted:

- Postseason games that are tied at end of regulation go to time of possession. It creates extra drama on final drives, induces more 2pt attempts, and is completely within normal football rules. Old school football dinosaurs would love it, networks would love it because games end on time, players would love it because they play fewer plays per game.

Defensive players might like it but offensive players welcome overtime as an opportunity to stack more statistics

I like the no overtime during the regular season rule but I don't like the time of possession idea. Too dependent on style of football, essentially penalizes a team for explosive plays which is wrong.

The correct answer as many have said is just to have a full quarter of overtime. It's unlikely to still be a tie after that but if it is, THEN they can go sudden death.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Extra quarters forever until the heat death of the universe.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Honestly, we should just get it over with and turn all of football into one of those weird endless games from 17776.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The captains meet at midfield and play a game of Madden 96 on a 9 inch CRT to decide the winner

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wyoak posted:

The captains meet at midfield and play a game of Madden 96 on a 9 inch CRT to decide the winner

:thurman:

fartknocker posted:

Old people like me complain they aren’t playing Tecmo like God intended.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Allow the running backs to drive golf carts on the field in OT

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
put tennis nets up every 10 yards in overtime, IMO.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Turn the field into an American-gladiatorsequse obstacle course

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Overtime is decided with a live critique of dramatic movies a'la Siskel & Ebert thumbs up/thumbs down. Fans vote if they make a compelling argument for/against this criticism.

Maybe it's because I'm watching Marriage Story right now but I wanna see Mahomes debate Burrow on the acting chops of Adam Driver vs. Scarlett Johansson.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man I just rewatched Under the Skin, that movie owns so hard because not only is it great you also get to eyehump crazy sexy frequently-naked ScarJo for 90m

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
AFCCG is a dissertation on Scarlett Johansson's acting career.

NFCCG is a breakdown of Michael Bay's Transformers films.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Handmaiden, 2016 Korean film, is as good as last week’s football weekend. It is not safe for work tho.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kim tae-ri is as good as winning 2 playoff games

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I think there’s a risk that guaranteeing possessions for both sides might make teams less aggressive in regulation, a bit like tournament soccer where teams will often start avoiding risks when overtime looms.

Knowing that you might get hosed by the coin is a powerful incentive not to get in that situation in the first place. Perhaps that risk, and the fear of turning into the Falcons, made the Rams go for it and win the game in the dying seconds before they lost momentum for good. It certainly made for a more exciting ending than kneeling out the clock in anticipation of a break before OT.

I'm a fan of "no overtime; if there's a tie, the last team that scored wins" for this very reason.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Play PIG (like horse but shorter) with the FG kickers.

Gould nails one from 45 yards all the way on the 49ers sideline to give Mason Crosby his G and end the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I'm a fan of "no overtime; if there's a tie, the last team that scored wins" for this very reason.

But then teams would never go for two to win the game so that’s a big no from me (It’d also mean more conservative play calling from offenses, kinda like old OT rules)

I might accept last team to score loses because it’d lead to weird endings

wyoak fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 30, 2022