Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress Tom Br*dy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
From the GDT:

https://twitter.com/TheRealOJ32/status/1485103811601448960

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

CharlestheHammer posted:

Same amount of super bowl victories tho

gently caress John Elway

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I can now say I'll be happy with whichever of the five teams left make & win the Super Bowl.

gently caress Tom Br*dy

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Too late, the votes were in two weeks ago and it’s gonna be Q Aaron.

And historically, wide receivers that aren't named Jerry Rice don't get their share of credit from MVP voters.

But he really should get more votes than he eventually will (If he gets any at all).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Kupp will get one or two sympathy votes. Every year someone breaks with tradition.

Even that would be a victory for him, as no receiver has gotten a single vote since rookie Randy Moss in 1998.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Asproigerosis posted:

magic talking up the rams is powerful homer wearing niners jersey, disappears into bushes and comes back out with rams gear saying lifelong fan energy.

He is a Lakers fan and the Cowboys already lost.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

except andy reid is way cooler than belichick, mahomes is way cooler than brady

Also they don't cheat, constantly blather about the "Patriot way", and their fans (At least here) are far less annoying. Maybe that'll change in 10 years but for now, the Chiefs are still cool and Mahomes is still awesome to watch.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Bengals > Rams > Niners > 49ers, but this is all by a thin margin, any of them winning would be cool and I just want the remaining games to be like Bills-Chiefs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

Maybe keep alternating possessions as long as both teams score and it’s tied, and if neither team scores too bad, go home with your shameful -1. Unless it’s the postseason, then I guess you have to just keep playing anyway.

Basically do this. If the first team scores (Regardless if it’s a touchdown or field goal), give the other team a chance to match it, and just let it keep going until someone gets stopped. The 10-minute period is fine for the regular season, for the playoffs let it go as long as everyone keeps scoring.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

shyduck posted:

I don't think a solution needs to be all that complicated. Each team gets possession at least once. That would go a long way.

Yeah, I don’t like the idea of starting at the 25 or 35 or it being all red zone attempts. If the first team scores an offensive touchdown, giving the second team a possession to try and match is the biggest step they can take right now, since the idea that everyone supports is to allow each team at least one shot.

Of course, this will eventually lead to the question of what happens after that. If both teams get a possession and score a touchdown and the game is tied, do we now go to sudden death and a field goal on the next possession ends it? Do we keep going until someone gets a defensive stop, or someone gets a 2-point conversion and the other doesn’t? That’s another matter entirely…

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

NFL overtime is bad, it should change to something like these other, way less popular, way worse sports!!!

NHL playoff overtime is the greatest thing in the world unless you have a heart condition (And if you don’t you’ll develop one) aside from the refs often being rear end, but refs sucking is pretty universal.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

bawfuls posted:

you can't reach Patriots level of hateability with only one Super Bowl win in the last 50 years

Remember that brief period where people in TFF were openly rooting for the Patriots to win Super Bowl XLIX because of how annoying Seattle had become over like a one year span? After that and everything that followed, I think most people learned not to jump on hating one team or forgiving another too quickly, and it’s gonna take a lot for anyone to become as hated as they and Br*dy are.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

Why complicate it further with dumb bullshit rules that don’t exist in regulate football.

I feel like adding dumb bullshit rules is very on brand for football :v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Replace OT with two-man sack races, best of seven.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

Literally just make it so both teans get one possession. Sane rules as now but the first TD doesn't end it and its sudden death after.

They don't have to change much

I’m fine with this.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

Listen playoff OT hockey is the greatest thing on earth and I will die on that hill

Wait who the gently caress is arguing against playoff OT hockey?!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

You're confused. That was actually Manning my friend.

No, it was Favre in the 2009 NFC Championship game that prompted the playoff OT rules to be changed starting in the 2010 season. The Saints won the OT coin toss and went and kicked a field goal and that was it.

Peyton’s OT loss to the Chargers was the year before during 2008 season playoffs, and the Chargers won it with a Darren Sproles touchdown run. While some people were a bit miffed Peyton never got a chance with the ball in OT, it wasn’t decided by a field goal and would have ended exactly the same under the changed (And now current) rules.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

I also wouldn't say the 10-1 matters much, what happens after the first team loses the ball is almost entirely irrelevant. The 7 / 11 first drive touchdowns matters, and could be kept in mind going forward.

Phone posting so I can’t look this up easily, but I’m pretty sure there were similar numbers regarding field goals under the old rules. Regular season OT the coin toss winner still won the game just over 50% of the time like it is now, but in the playoffs there was a higher percentage of the coin toss winners going down and kicking a field goal to end it on their first drive.

EDIT:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It’s always going to be a smaller sample size. The rules only exist during the playoffs. That said, it’s not exactly close at this point.

Even outside of the competitiveness question, I’m surprised they don’t adjust the playoff OT rules bc having longer playoff games is good for ratings. During the regular season they don’t want games to bleed into each other but for the playoffs getting viewers to stick around an extra 30 mins to watch an insane game seems like it’d be a financially worthwhile decision

The difference between regular season and playoff OT rules right now is the time of the period (10 vs 15 minutes) and that playoff games can’t end in a tie and continue until someone scores. The coin toss and scoring rules that we’ve been mostly talking about have been the same since for both since 2012.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 25, 2022

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think requiring teams to go for TD's and 2PTs doesn't make any sense. Let them decide how many points they want to risk scoring before turning the ball over.

I agree, in part cause it could be chaos.

Good example, say the Bills got another possession after the Chiefs on Sunday. They go down and score a touchdown, and know that after that it’s gonna be next score wins. Do they go for a 2-point conversion at that point, trusting their offense to end it (And by implication, not trusting their defense to make a stop, which they hadn’t done so far anyway), or do they take the usual PAT and send the game to sudden death, knowing the Chiefs now only need a field goal to win? I’d rather leave that sort of choice up to the teams, as I think it’d lead to more interesting (And potentially far more exciting) outcomes than forcing everyone to go for 2.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

I think most Chiefs fans were more mad at Dee Ford than anything else. I still think about that offsides often

Yeah, the bigger focus at the time was on that clearly bad play by Ford, since the game would have been over then based on the time remaining and timeouts IIRC. I think there was also a bad roughing the passer call that benefitted the Patriots at some point late in that game as well, and there was some complaining about Mahomes not getting the ball in overtime, but it wasn’t nearly as prevalent as the discussion has been this time (Which I think Romo started with almost as soon as Kelce’s TD was confirmed).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

A.o.D. posted:

I'm on board with more shitposting.

:hmmyes:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Best idea that everyone will love: the coin flip literally decides the game and everyone immediately goes home.

OT is decided by two players on the team playing the current version of the Madden NFL video game.

Old people like me complain they aren’t playing Tecmo like God intended.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

As a chargers fan I vehemently disagree with any option that gives Kickers more power

What if it gives more power to punters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

wyoak posted:

The captains meet at midfield and play a game of Madden 96 on a 9 inch CRT to decide the winner

:thurman:

fartknocker posted:

Old people like me complain they aren’t playing Tecmo like God intended.