Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

veni veni veni posted:

yeah I know I just meant they never really get worked into the story and become a normal part of the game outside of the last mission. And they are not fun to fight in DL2. they are so all over the place.

Yeah I remember in the first game the volatiles were something you worked toward - by the end you were strong enough and had good enough weapons to hunt them. I don't get that progression sense here, I just avoid them. The few times you see them indoors the bows trivialize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

eleven extra elephants posted:

Most settlements have them when you take em over, no it's barely mentioned. They're big square boxes with a tap poking out. I still don't understand them, I dunno if its because I'm playing on Hard but they give me barely any health.

Finished the game yesterday and slam uninstalled, overall fine experience but no desire to play any further to wrap side stuff up. I felt the weapons were really uninteresting in this one, didn't the first have more unique one off types?
ive been playing for 10+ hours and getting a bit fatigued with it already. Loads of it just like a mush...none of the weapons feel particularly special, partly cos you're constantly bombarded with new ones, and the gear you pick up is a mess of tiny improvements to your stats that's tedious as heck to optimise. Like other people have said night vs day doesn't make much difference, outdoors at night and indoors during the day are both way too safe and easy to cheese. Looting becomes a chore because there's so many containers to loot and tedious animations/button mashes to sit through with nothing that exciting to find.

Also survivor sense sucks. If you're game is badly designed enough that it's necessary for looting then at least give people the option of turning the zombie/npc wallhacking off.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like if there was one utter failure I'd gripe about with this game It's night time. The first game tried to do this thing and it didn't totally work, but it was half way there. Night time was a bit more intense. there wasn't a particularly good reason to go out at night other than some worthless bonus xp though. Once in a blue moon you'd accidentally get stuck out at night and poo poo would ramp up and it was sort of cool though.

Night Time in DL2 just blows. Their whole solution to the first game's issue was to make some missions only available at night, but night in DL2 is just...nothing. Most of the time I didn't even think about it. Once in a while the stupid howlers trigger but the chases aren't intense they are just super annoying and get in the way of whatever you are trying to do. Also I think I saw maybe 5 Volatiles in the whole game and they were also just annoying and way shittier than DL1. They only seemed hard because they will never stay in your FOV. The game doesn't even ramp up to them being regular enemies like the first game did either. There's like 4 zombie types the entire game uses maybe twice. it's weird as hell.

i dunno i found the double agility xp bonus in DL1 pretty invaluable, the chase bonus and surviving night were mostly just eh, whatever, but in the first game missions only rewarded survivor xp and my agility was always constantly behind. Also since it's so easy to avoid volatiles (even on hard+) there's almost no reason not to just stay out and about at night. DL2's nights were definitely far more annoying though. Why stick howlers everywhere and not just use the same roaming spawns/vision? At least then being caught on the ground wasn't like an instant chase nuisance. Also the howlers don't even need to make a sound to notify, if you get in close and knock them down their bar still goes up and they still trigger a chase. Very dumb

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

yeah I know I just meant they never really get worked into the story and become a normal part of the game outside of the last mission. And they are not fun to fight in DL2. they are so all over the place.

I didn't get the "kill a volatile" cheevo until that last mission

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I killed a lot of volatiles by running back to the elevator shaft in the VNC mission. They jump down into the shaft with you and the UV light keeps stunning them as you whack away. They were no match for my cheese.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I remember in the first game the volatiles were something you worked toward - by the end you were strong enough and had good enough weapons to hunt them. I don't get that progression sense here, I just avoid them. The few times you see them indoors the bows trivialize it.

You can also use glowsticks.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wow, glad I decided to try upgrading the UV Flashlight because it is actually ridiculously strong. Volatiles and Virals are absolutely trivialized by the flash effect added and you will legitimately never run out of battery power because of the way the flash effect works. Biters become even more of a joke too I guess. I haven't tried it on howlers yet but I'm pretty sure it'll work, though it doesn't appear to work on Goon sized things.

Still super ridiculous, who needs a gun when you can just stunlock Volatiles while you beat them to death?

Still haven't beaten the story since I've only really been pushing it when able to play with a friend, but the rest of the game is just fun to play around in. Today I learned Craftmasters also sell craft materials so now my scrap stockpile is actually growing instead of shrinking constantly!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just beat this today, and it's something I felt that got worse the longer I played. I did a lot of the side quests in the beginning but I just started running out of steam for them by the second map.

Add to that that it's buggy and a lot of the abilities aren't good at all, and I just started beelining main missions by the end.

I preferred the first game. Also this game should be renamed to Dying Light 2 : Stay Awake considering how many times Aiden is knocked out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

finished it coop, played on hard, thought it was fun

thanks for reading my extensive review

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

blackguy32 posted:

Just beat this today, and it's something I felt that got worse the longer I played.

I do like the gameplay of this game but the story and whatnot is so bad, and only got worse to the point where I feel that I've lost all motivation to finish the game.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Joined a co-op game to get my last 5 inhibitors and knock out the kill 100 enemies with 2+ people cheevo. Now my save file seems to be boned. None of the achievements popped and time is frozen. I can't sleep anywhere. I've tried dying several times, restarting, and quick joining several MP games. Nothing will fix it. Why you have to join a co-op game to get mission-specific inhibitors is totally beyond me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I guess try rolling back your save? Fixed my issue when I borked myself with inadvisably-applied mods.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

The Lone Badger posted:

I guess try rolling back your save? Fixed my issue when I borked myself with inadvisably-applied mods.

No dice. I think quick play attempts or one of the times I tried restarting the game overwrote the backup save. I tried going to a night only combat challenge to fast forward time and it seems to be stuck at 10 PM now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I do like the gameplay of this game but the story and whatnot is so bad, and only got worse to the point where I feel that I've lost all motivation to finish the game.

The story is so loving bad, man. Like it's a video game so having a bad story is nothing new, but they spend SO much loving time on it. Every single side quest has the other person blabbing about bullshit for like two loving minutes and there are a hundred of them. It's insanely badly paced and the entire endgame scenario not only plays like poo poo but it doesn't even make any sense within its own universe. And then the ending is literally just "they escaped somehow". Piece of poo poo rear end game.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 25, 2022

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Story is laughably dumb which is fortunate considering the audio bug where all dialogue is silent and automatically skips ahead. It's like the game doesn't even want to endure itself.

Still fun parkour stuff. Some one from the internet dropped me a hoverboard from back to the future.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Forbidden West is a good example of what happens if you invest in good writers for your sandbox game. Every side quest is visually interesting and tells a story that connects to the larger plot. In contrast, a DL2 side quest is a guy with a bizarrely out of place accent blathering about his favorite hat, and then you gotta go loot the hat from a crate and bring it back to him and get $20.

Maybe don't cheap out on hiring good writers for your game, I guess?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

smoobles posted:

Forbidden West is a good example of what happens if you invest in good writers for your sandbox game. Every side quest is visually interesting and tells a story that connects to the larger plot. In contrast, a DL2 side quest is a guy with a bizarrely out of place accent blathering about his favorite hat, and then you gotta go loot the hat from a crate and bring it back to him and get $20.

They didn't cheap out on the writer originally. Google chris avellone

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

smoobles posted:

Don't forget the woman with the awful singing voice and her "Mink" shawl.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

koshmar posted:

Don't forget the woman with the awful singing voice and her "Mink" shawl.

I loved telling her no at the end and walking away actually.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The story missions start to get so frustratingly bland. There is only so many times I can climb up these loving skycrapers doing the same jumping puzzle until I bug out and fall through a wall to have to not only truck back from the nearest respawn but also reclimb the tedious rear end building.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

The story missions start to get so frustratingly bland. There is only so many times I can climb up these loving skycrapers doing the same jumping puzzle until I bug out and fall through a wall to have to not only truck back from the nearest respawn but also reclimb the tedious rear end building.

Have you gotten the grappling hook yet

This makes the climbing so much more dynamic and easy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I hear all the complaints in here and Im not dismissing them, but honestly, I just dont care. The game is fun as hell to run around the city finding cool poo poo to do and explore. I love how vertical the second map is and the paraglider makes its so much more fun. I havent gotten the grappling hook yet but Im looking forward to it. This game is an action parkour melee platformer and it hits all of that out of the park. Who gives a poo poo about the story, just mash the dialogue skip button and get back to the fun. The bugs are disappointing but it looks like theyre patching out the worst of them. The game has a lot of heart and its good to see an independent studio shoot for the moon with an attempt at a AAA release instead of the same old poo poo from the big studios. (Far Cry 6)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I really loved Dying Light and The Following and I played the poo poo out of them. I've got about 60 hours into DL2 since release and it's interesting to see all the differing opinions itt.

After 60 hours I'm still in (what I assume is) the first area, I've just assigned the first water tower and searched Barney's hideout.

Things I like:

The freerunning seems so much better. I'm able to jump with much greater precision than before. In DL1 I fell to my death a lot, but it hardly ever happens in 2.

Graphics. This isn't the best-looking game I've ever played or anything but it looks vibrant and interesting on PS4 pro.

I really like that you can mostly ignore the night time "requirement" for quests as long as you're leveled appropriately for the area / mission. I think all but one of the night time quests I've done don't actually require you to do it at night and so far I've run into a few virals and what I assume are this game's version of spitters, but no volatiles or boomers in any of the dark zone caches I've visited.

Things that suck rear end or at least are disappointing:

The dialogue / audio glitch on PS4 is some bull poo poo. Half the time I complete a quest, get no audio, exit the game, and watch the cutscene on youtube while the game loads again.

Initial start up on PS4 with a standard HDD is loving long. Why am I staring at the "This is fiction and not a real thing" disclaimer for a full 30 seconds every time?

Guns in DL1 sucked poo poo because the gunplay was so incredibly weak. I was really expecting this game to have tightened it up to make it more akin to Far Cry or similar modern shooter. Instead gently caress you no guns.

I don't like the leveled enemies. In the first game the regular zombies got a buff at a couple of points but they were the same across the map. Once the early game difficulty curve evened out you could go anywhere without much worry.

I don't like that upgrades and levels are gated behind dark zone chests. Not that they're very hard to get but I'm just against the idea in general.

I miss my customizable, upgradeable dune buggy

All-in-all I'm having fun with this game but I think the first one was better in a lot of ways.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Have you gotten the grappling hook yet

This makes the climbing so much more dynamic and easy

Maybe they should have given us the grappling hook a littler earlier than the 16th out of 22 story missions I mean c'mon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I miss being Spider Man with the Dying light 1 grappling hook.

Also the side quest with the dog was probably the side content I remember most.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I hear all the complaints in here and Im not dismissing them, but honestly, I just dont care. The game is fun as hell to run around the city finding cool poo poo to do and explore. I love how vertical the second map is and the paraglider makes its so much more fun. I havent gotten the grappling hook yet but Im looking forward to it. This game is an action parkour melee platformer and it hits all of that out of the park. Who gives a poo poo about the story, just mash the dialogue skip button and get back to the fun. The bugs are disappointing but it looks like theyre patching out the worst of them. The game has a lot of heart and its good to see an independent studio shoot for the moon with an attempt at a AAA release instead of the same old poo poo from the big studios. (Far Cry 6)

Are you joking because this is just the same old poo poo they made 6 years ago

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I havent played the first and was going to pick it up when Im done with the second, so shame on me for that statement. It sounded different enough from the way others described it in here.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I haven’t played the first and was going to pick it up when I’m done with the second, so shame on me for that statement. It sounded different enough from the way others described it in here.

I honestly like the first more. I felt like night time was really cool in that one and I don't think it had the leveling enemies so you could just barrel through zombies by the end.

I also think it had cooler if not overpowered abilities and the zombie density was higher.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The first game is definitely more ambitious WRT night time survival and the way volatiles work. Felt actually dangerous to go exploring at night in that game whereas here it's all sort of arbitrary night missions/day missions, with little actual difference except for the chase mechanic which feels extremely underbaked and just annoying more than anything.

There are definite mechanical improvements in this game, but the first felt more cohesive in the way that all the systems gelled together combined with the layout of the city and the zombie density. The supposed ambition of Dying Light 2 was all focused on the story and choice stuff which ends up barely figuring into the final product at all outside of the endgame. The primary new mechanic is of course the glider, and while it's neat and all, it's not really like it adds much to the game outside of letting you bypass doing parkour everywhere. Dying Light 2 is basically the definition of half-assed sequel.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I wonder how much of the story was axed with the Chris thing and how much/if that butchered up the important story changes, or if the Chris stuff even really mattered. Current story feels like run-of-the-mill Techland jank. Threads that go nowhere, plot holes, poo poo we don't care about but they keep forcing.
Obvs stuff like the zombie density wasn't apart of that, but even things like the chases and how volatiles are hardly a part of the game, but dropped gameplay like how Crane in one was meant to become more Volatile-like through the game.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I rushed through to the end to make sure I finished it before elden ring came out and I haven't a clue why the big bad was launching missiles to initiate a single medical procedure.

Or stopping her from blowing up the rockets because I assumed that meant destroying the massive stockpile of food and water but then was never mentioned in the epilogue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm wondering if people think it will be a much better game in, say, a year or two, and its worth putting it on the backlog now and then properly getting into it later? The first game got significantly better over time, right? (I came in very late so I'm not sure)

Mr Hootington posted:

They didn't cheap out on the writer originally. Google chris avellone

Hiring Avellone in the first place indicates a sort of laziness and cheaping out on effort to me. There are a ton of amazing writers out there to get to work on your game - Avellone is who you hire if you either have some tie to his sort of gaming history specifically, or if you have no idea who any of the other writers are and aren't willing to do the work to figure it out because he's the biggest most well known name.

But even if he had stayed on and not been taken down by a scandal, he's always worked better with a solid writing team surrounding him and I don't feel like this game would have had that no matter what. Would have probably just ended up with a handful of well written but overly wordy quests in a game that was overall still poorly written.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 22, 2022

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

titties posted:

I don't like the leveled enemies. In the first game the regular zombies got a buff at a couple of points but they were the same across the map. Once the early game difficulty curve evened out you could go anywhere without much worry.

In a game filled with questionable design decisions, this one probably irritates me the most. Why have any leveling system at all if the enemies always keep pace with you? Part of getting stronger is getting stronger. But the way it's rigged, I'm always the exact same relative power, except my weapons last a bit longer before breaking.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The game doesnt want me to go into certain places during the day, but, I need points and I need a billion fast zombie trophies to upgrade my stuff. So I'm not seeing a downside so far?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Chad Jihad posted:

The game doesnt want me to go into certain places during the day, but, I need points and I need a billion fast zombie trophies to upgrade my stuff. So I'm not seeing a downside so far?

Some places will have volatiles in them during the day and they can 1-2 shot you. But other than that, there really isn't a downside.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Some places will have volatiles in them during the day and they can 1-2 shot you. But other than that, there really isn't a downside.

Found this out early on trying to sneak into a hospital for inhibitors during the day. Got wrecked.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

much like the first game, Volatiles go from extremely threatening to total non-issue when you acquire one thing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Found this out early on trying to sneak into a hospital for inhibitors during the day. Got wrecked.

The UV glowsticks wreck them.
(So does the crossbow, but that wrecks everything)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how early can you get the regular bow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

how early can you get the regular bow?

It appears in your inventory by magic the moment you reach the central loop.

That bow is poo poo though. Vendors will stock them from that point on, buy a better one.