Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Looked all over, couldn't find a thread, happy to close if there is one, but with Dying Light 2 coming out soon and there being a big push for more threads thought why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX6DbAMTR4

Dying Light was released on PC, Xbox, PS4, and Switch (over the last six years in waves), is an Open World First Person Zombie Survival horror, with crafting elements released in early 2015.

https://i.imgur.com/dVaD58Y.mp4

Set in the fictional middle eastern city of Harran, the story starts in media res - the zombie outbreak has already begun - the city of Harran is under quarantine and for the most part the infection is under control, confined to the environs of Harran and its immediate outskirts.

You play as Kyle Crane, American action hero and member of the "Global Relief Effort" (think of them as the UN Version of the Umbrella corporation).

The GRE as the name suggests, is the entity primarily responsible for keeping the infected city of Harran supplied with Antizin (medicine which halts the virus from turning you into a mindless infected), food, clean water and medicine.

Kyle starts the game being airdropped with some of these supples with a very clear mission; track down an unknown individual who has stolen a file from the GRE, the file supposedly contains an "incomplete" cure which is instead instantly lethal. Your goal, as Kyle is to identify this faceless individual, retrieve the file, and return it to the GRE.

Of course, nothing's ever easy, and things immediately go to poo poo.

Gameplay wise, the game is an evolution of the Dead Island series, but actually good - you might remember Dead Island, it had the worlds most attention grabbing trailer that made everyone sit up, and then delivered absolutely nothing like the trailer.

The gameplay focuses heavily on parkour, looting the scraps of the city to construct traps on the fly while cheesing it from zombies, crafting first aid, flares and weapons to give you an edge in combat. During the day.

At Night, well, things change.

You go from hunter, to hunted, as those pesky UV rays which have been keeping the truly lethal and intelligent zombies in hiding aren't there to protect you anymore.

While it's absolutely possible to survive the night while going rambo, there's a reason that the tagline for the game is "goodnight, goodluck"

Dying Light is an extremely fun romp gameplay wise, with a strong emphasis on stealth, parkour, and survival, well worth a shot.

==========================================================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHySNHmur8E

Dying Light - The following

Released 12 months later, Dying Light the following is an expansion to the original game and continues the storyline, with hope fading fast for the city of Harran, Kyle's growing increasingly desperate to escape when rumours reach the city that just outside the walls, there is a cult where the members are not being attacked by the infected and are functionally cured of any infection - deciding to put one last ditch effort behind getting to a cure, Kyle breaks through the quarantine via a cave system and starts hunting for the members of the cult to seek an end to the infection

https://i.imgur.com/OfSw9we.mp4

The gameplay is mostly the same, on a brand new map, and given that you are no longer confined to a city, also has drivable vehicles - with all the benefits and drawbacks that brings.

The only warning I'd give is that the game presumes you are very high level as custom weaponry from the end of DL1 did not do the same level of damage to zombies in the new area, that it did in the previous areas, so uh, don't get attached to those old weapons.
==========================================================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJAAy7tPhE

DL2 is set in the distant future, without spoilers for the events of the preceeding games, everything's gone to poo poo and humanity has basically fallen - we're down to functionally one city left and even that is in dispute.

How it happens isn't particularly clear at this stage and is presumed to be revealed throughout the game, there's a bit of a media blitz going on with the game, as well as a lot of influencers having played an early teaser of the game on youtube, so feel free to share good ones itt, but gameplay wise, it looks like Techland have spent the last six years refining their parkour and combat systems, combat looks more fluid and attacks meatier, but of course we won't know how it all pans out until the day of release.

There's a lot of new media out there surrounding DL2 so I encourage people to post the stuff they found interesting - but at this stage as someone who's generally pessimistic about new release, I'm cautiously optimistic that Techland are going to succesfully iterate on DL1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I have the game but haven't gotten to it, between work and general POE league release, but I'm glad to hear the game is mostly more of the same, just with improved kicking mechanics

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

god I haven't played dead island in so long - it's hilarious just how much a jump dying light was over it

maybe I should give it another shot

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What the gently caress is that ending