Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is sort of an interesting situation.

Troops attempted a coup d'etat against the siting president and his 'regime' or what have you because they felt they were not responding properly to Muslim Jihadist attacks going on in the country.
The jihadists control parts of the country and are enacting strict muslim law in areas they control.

In other words, it sounds like at least parts of the military felt that the president was in cahoots with the jihadists and want them out.

Meaning even if the military succeeds in taking political control, they'll still have to battle to take their territory back from muslim extremists.

Now, if there WAS a foreign power who might be backing them, I'll let you decide whom they may have appealed to or be being supported by given that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i'm not sure anybody was serious about it but it'd be pretty insane to blame russia when the obvious candidate is standing right there with like 40 documented coups and coup attempts and god knows how many still secret in the last 60 years.

God drat you, Togo

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

EorayMel posted:

on the other hand im happy to be proved wrong on this instance because its so absurd i cannot resist giggling as hosed up as the realities of Burkina Faso are as I type this post

The United States is supplying the military that is attempting the coup against the government with support because they are also going against the muslim extremists taking over the country that the current government is not doing enough to stop. hth.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

EorayMel posted:

but where does twitter come into play

How many people took up arms in the US as a result of the election of Trump/January 6th riot in the Capital and various other events?
Those were driven by Russian social media farms.

That's 'thousands of people taking up arms' in their own country as a result of Russian social media influence.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't really have words for how stupid this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gasmask posted:

america should have its own coup

man that's really great. thanks for this. deep stuff to think about here really got my mind spinnin