Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Spain Virus
Jul 6, 2021

What's a good free crash course on Greek? Nothing more complex than "Hello. Where is __? How much is it? (I'll take it || That's too much). Thank you. Goodbye". I'm sure I could do it in English -- I've been to Mykonos on vacation before and all the shops could speak a plethora of languages -- but I'd like to be polite and use their language as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Spain Virus
Jul 6, 2021

Nothing? I 'm really only interested in basic pleasantries.

When I went to Russia I had a vocabulary of maybe twenty words but the natives were tickled pink that I made an effort at all. I'd like to do the same in Greece,

the Spain Virus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 27, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Wouldn't Duolingo be sufficient for this purpose?

the Spain Virus
Jul 6, 2021

Tosk posted:

Wouldn't Duolingo be sufficient for this purpose?
I don't know. Would it? I've never used Duolingo .

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006
I am an autistic asshole that is incapable of understanding anything that isn't face value. Please consider my disability when reading my posts.

If Greek is like any of the other Duolingo courses, then it would be sufficient for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

The Science, Academics, and Languages subforum is probably a better fit for the question. Their Greek thread is about Classical Greek, but you could ask in the small questions / chat thread