Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I love beat em ups and have never actually gotten around to playing Viewtiful Joe, it's been on my retro "to do" list for ages.
Looking forward to diving in to this one (after midnight ET, I don't intend to cheat!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Some initial thoughts after finishing Episode 1:

The art style in this game is absolutely gorgeous and it makes me want to watch some tokusatsu.
I was initially a bit nonplussed at the combat system, particularly the focus on first having to dodge to open up an enemy to smash them with Slow, but once I got to the break point and was able to flesh out some of Joe's moveset I was a lot happier, and particularly after getting Mach Speed I had a lot of fun starting to weave together flurries of Mach Speed attacks, dodging and then punishing with a few heavy Slow hits.

If I have a complaint it's mostly down to the "boss fight" moments where it feels much more difficult to assess where you actually have openings to attack and some of the enemy attack hitboxes seem significantly bigger than their appearances suggest. Small moments of irritation though, far from being anything that ruins the game for me.

Really enjoying it so far - Adult difficulty is taxing me a little bit (I love beat 'em ups, I never said I was good at them) and I doubt I have the time to get good enough at the game to hit the Rainbow V-ranks challenge, but determined to get the game finished.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oof, time has been getting away from me, I really need to get moving so I can try and get this cleared before the deadline.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Absolutely not going to finish this - the first two stages lulled me into a bit of a false sense of security but I found the difficulty ramping up pretty rapidly. Really cool game and one that I'm glad I played, but probably not something I'm in a hurry to come back to. The game absolutely drips style, but something about the combat system just doesn't click with me. For the level of complexity and moving parts in there in terms of available moveset, it ultimately feels a little bit flat and lifeless to me - I'm not sure whether that's necessarily a fault in the game's design or just a case of me not clicking with the rhythm/flow of the combat so it feels a little stiff and awkward.

Out of curiousity to see what it did to the game's difficulty, I did start a file on Kids difficulty. Without the challenge of the Adult difficulty it definitely felt like same-y repetitive mush - if I do come back to this at some point on the future I'll definitely be sticking with the Adult difficulty.