Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Real talk, the Russians do build tanks designed for smaller people iirc.

Charles Bukowski posted:

So NATO wants to back Ukranian Nazis vs Russia? ...Why?

NATO is 100% an anti Russian alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Sex Farm posted:

Crimea river lol

If only crimea had a decent river.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just learned a new word today.

Also I'm gonna say it. Permaban me if you want....... war is bad. There. I had to speak my peace.

Take it to cspam pal, this is Global BloodShed.

Weka
May 5, 2019

STABASS posted:

I want to do my duty as a patriot and invest in some defense contractors, but unfortunately none of them sell nfts...

It's worse, somehow.

Honeywell is now tracking 1 billion in Boeing parts on the blockchain
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...sh=6b2ad7b678bf

https://www.reuters.com/technology/boeing-wants-build-its-next-airplane-metaverse-2021-12-17/

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

I’d prefer no war, a united earth under a single hegemony. However sometimes it’s okay to fight against people doing bad things to ensure it isn’t normalized.

Whose hegemony?
America doesn't go to war to help people but naked self interest of it's ruling classes.

Weka
May 5, 2019

QuoProQuid posted:

russia has presented demands that no country can actually fulfill and just this morning appears to be sending the national guard to the border. neither of those things really suggest a peaceful outcome

https://twitter.com/girkingirkin/status/1485930045860458496?s=21

if people don’t want to gently caress with russia because it’s big and ukraine doesn’t matter to them, comp to that position without pretending that ukraine stole russia’s lunch money or whatever

What are the demands?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

Are the 'Nazis' in Ukraine interested in keeping Ukraine independent?
Are they pro-NATO?

If so, it would seem better to keep Ukraine independent and become a NATO ally and then deal with their internal social issues rather than stop supporting the country and allow Russia to annex them and gain territory, etc.
If not, and the 'Nazis' and majority of people within Ukraine want to reintegrate with Russia and denounce NATO alliance, then they should be free to do that.

Both are lovely prospects, and the first is definitely a Devil's bargain. But, perhaps if we're able to dangle the carrot of support while holding the stick of 'if you don't make social reforms we stop protecting you at any time and you're on your own', we can make progress in that area. Perhaps I'm being far too hopeful. I don't know.

Far too hopeful. NATO membership has if anything given Turkey more leeway to commit human rights violations.

Klyith posted:

Russia has a pipeline under the Black Sea to send gas to Turkey, and is just finishing up the Nord Stream to send gas to Germany. Both are direct from Russia to avoid anyone else taking a cut for transit, like Ukraine has been doing for the past while.

One of the reasons why Putin wants a pro-Russian leader in the Urkraine is so they'll charge less.

Taking over Crimea wasn't directly about gas, it was about punishing the Ukrainians + old soviet navy yards and assets (more control over the Black Sea) + internal propaganda value by scoring a win

pipelines are vastly better than boats, in both how much they cost to build & operate and how much gas they can send

Those naval yards have remained Russian since the dissolution of the USSR. Invading Crimea happened because Ukraine threatened to take them away.

Weka
May 5, 2019

The desire for a second potato is the first good evidence I've seen of Russia looking to invade Ukraine.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Faded away.

Weka
May 5, 2019

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

if merking some spook guy most americans havent even heard of is the most retaliation they could do for the assassination of their most famous military hero and commander of their armed forces, then that's pretty pathetic imo

Killing the head of the CIA's Iran branch is a pretty good achievement imo. What's the point of killing some useless General when there's 100 more near identical fatsos ready to replace them?

dk2m posted:

Ukraine is now just some nameless eastern flank country lmao. We’re gonna Kurd the gently caress out of Ukraine once we get tired of lionizing them

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1485692720496664585?s=21

This, but America in the south China sea.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Like, agreeing with the Ukrainian defense secretary? Or...

Weka
May 5, 2019

Business Gorillas posted:

one of the benefits of being a fuckin dumbass like myself is i can just say "Nazis are bad and we shouldn't be giving them military aid & money to advance our geopolitical agendas" without having to twist myself into knots trying to justify it

i know taking a bunch of words to say "we should keep giving them money but tell them if they do a pogrom, we'll get REALLY MAD about it" might sound like you're a complicated adult making Hard Decisions, but you're just lying to yourself

Yeah I think America should spend less on its military too.

Klyith posted:

no, major planners and architects of the CIA don't go into conflict zones

but moving on from that since neither of us can prove it, what about this plane. he wasn't flying it himself was he? who was the pilot, crew, what happened to them? were all their families black-helicopter'ed away?

Like you can just flick through this guys wiki page and see that, yeah, he spent time in conflict zones.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Serious question, why is Ukraine so valuable to Russia they'd risk starting a war over it. And why is the West so determined to defend Ukraine they'd risk starting a war over it?

The west is focused on China so there is an element of opportunism by Russia. But as others have said, NATO is an anti Russia alliance headed by America, a country who just loves invading other countries all the dang time, so having it pressed right up against Russia is a bit of a worry.
America is very unlikely to go to war over Ukraine. It's a good way to sell a bunch of weapons though and if they're lucky bog Russia down in a costly war. Putin seems to be too smart to just go hog wild though.
Russia has been dealing with western sanctions since 2005. They've been targeted by America in it's quest to stay #1, which has basically failed anyway (see, China).

Regarde Aduck posted:

How much of a simpleton do you have to be to think Ukraine has anything Russia wants? The gently caress is wrong with you people. This is posturing between two powers, Nato vs Russia, and neither wants to back down and neither is entirely to blame for this shitshow. Grow the gently caress up.

The Donbass has a lot of heavy industry and Ukraine produces a lot of food. Russia has banned food imports from the USA, UK, EU, the Canada, Australia, Norway, Ukraine, Albania, Montenegro, Iceland and Lichtenstein.
Both of those things are useful to Russia and certainly play some part in Putin's calculus, but they're not at the root of the conflict.
What is, is Sevastopol, the Russian naval base in Crimea, which Ukraine started making noises about not leasing back to the Russians iirc as leverage to get cheaper gas prices. This went down poorly. So I guess Ukraine has something de jure Russia wants but not de facto.
It's also simplistic to see NATO as a monolith, American and German goals in just this one conflict are pretty different.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Play posted:

There are other reasons but primarily Ukraine was a part of the former soviet union and putin has ALWAYS believed that every country which used to be part of the ussr belongs to Russia. We have seen them try to make this a reality in many different countries in the last couple of decades.

The west believes that countries should have self-determination and make their own political decisions. Ukraine, for obvious and good reasons, would rather be a part of the west and nato than Russia.

People equivocating the two sides are doing Russia a major favor. This is a clear aggression on their part. Nothing has fundamentally changed recently regarding Ukraine and nato, Russia has just had this in the works a long time. Their argument of having an 'enemy' nation on their borders makes little sense since if they conquer Ukraine nato will only be closer to Russia.

I heard someone say that if it gets hot it won't get hot until after the winter Olympics so Russia doesn't embarrass it interfere with China over that. If that's true it's pretty lol

Do you seriously believe the west supports countries having self determination? Why won't we leave Iraq, despite their parliament asking us to? Or all the other invasions?

Ukraine applied to begin a NATO membership action plan in 2008, so that's a pretty big fundamental change. What if, Russia would just like Ukraine not to join NATO and doesn't intend to invade beyond what it has already, as seems most likely? Like they need Sevastopol as a key part of their security and supporting the breakaway Donbass republics gets them leverage but that's enough for their aims.

Skyscraper Raccoon posted:

Biden's gonna kill so many people that he'll be a lock for the next Nobel Peace Prize

Nah they don't give those out for actually promoting peace and Biden has mostly killed Americans.

Weka
May 5, 2019

FWIW despite being staunchly anti American interference here I think your post about how best to deal with nazi elements in Ukraine had some merit. I think it's wrong though purely on the metric of when did American foreign involvement last work out for the people of that country?
I'd also like to point out that there is a difference between having nazis in your country and incorporating an explicitly nazi militia into your national guard, as has happened with the Azov battalion (now a regiment). Of course, when you're under pressure like Ukraine is, the enemy of your enemy being your friend perhaps shouldn't be judged too harshly.

Weka
May 5, 2019

QuoProQuid posted:

perhaps my memory of 2008 is hazy but, as i recall, NATO explicitly refused to put ukraine and georgia on a track to membership after they expressed interest, in part as a concession to russia (who felt its security concerns weren't being appreciated) and to reduce regional tensions

and then it went "ok cool" and launched an invasion of georgia that killed a bunch of people and displaced almost 200,000 people

I think it was when Yanukovich was elected Ukraine dropped it.
https://www.kyivpost.com/article/content/ukraine-politics/ukraine-makes-it-official-nation-will-abandon-plan-67901.html

SRQ posted:

lol @ the idea of nato being imperialist when people have just wanted to join it, desperately and willingly, so Russia doesn't pull a Georgia on them.
There's nothing imperialist about saying "Okay you can join the club."

NATO isn't particularly imperialist, they're anti Russia. They don't want to invade it, they want to keep it weak and isolated. Although NATO did head the occupation of Afghanistan for a while.

Weka
May 5, 2019

QuoProQuid posted:

yes, im p familiar with ukraine and georgia's situation. yanukovych''s removal (because he was poo poo) is also the trigger that led russia to have its freakout and annex crimea and start propping up a whole war in donbass

(also RIP kyiv post, which got bought by a kleptocrat and gutted its staff)

You framed it as NATO wouldn't let the Ukraine in but it was Ukraine who ended the application process afaik.

Play posted:

As wrongheaded, evil, pointless and stupid as the US invasions in the middle east were, they never permanently occupied those countries and the goal was always to create democracies there. Democracies which would be aligned with the United States of course, but there was never any thought of permanently occupying or making those countries part of the us' holdings.

Also, you realize that 2008 was 14 years ago right.

Yep, pretty much. Ukraine is 100% opposed to Russian intervention and occupation and yet desperately wants to be a part of nato so they can be protected against Russian intervention. Calling the two sides the same is loving bullshit and indicates that either someone is fully in the tank for Russia or has internalized so much anti-US / anti-nato rhetoric that the result is the same.

Ukraine WANTS the US and nato to help them. They WANT Russia to stay the gently caress out because they understand the two sides want very different things. Saying this is justified is saying you don't give a gently caress about what Ukrainians want and don't care about their very lives and right to self-determination.

Having it be a requirement that you have an American aligned government is pretty similar to keeping an occupying force there. It's called neo-colonialism bud.
America is still in Iraq. All advice from the state department etc on how to transition peacefully to a democracy was ignored by Paul Bremer. Iraq wasn't invaded out of heartless altruism mate.

If you want something more recent as far as Ukraine joining NATO, they updated their constitution in 2019 to include the stuff about joining NATO. I was giving you the starting point of change.

Again, I think what Russia is doing is bad. I'm not calling the two sides the same and have not. What I'm saying is that American interference always goes bad for the locals. Even if all these foreign invasions were done with the best intentions (lol) at a certain point you have to look at the past and use it to influence your future plans.

So, can you point me at an American foreign intervention that went well for the locals?

Weka
May 5, 2019

No USSR then.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Xenocides posted:

This. The last US intervention that went well was Desert Storm when Iraq invaded Kuwait, a nation what explicitly didn’t want to be conquered. The US had a simple military objective of removing the invaders. No endless fighting of insurgents. The people we were liberating genuinely wanted to be liberated. It was quick and effective and then done and actually helped some people.

I know in the background there were a lot of other ulterior motives like expanding the US military presence and profits for the military industrial complex and all that but there weren’t hordes of insurgents and the US wasn’t trying to destroy and replace a government. At least not overtly. President GHWB did hope the defeat would lead to some kind of coup in Iraq but that didn’t end up happening.

Ukraine is in a similar situation except the US has to work with the Russians and the US both having the option to blow things up to a much bigger degree. I suspect that the tough guy rhetoric will probably get Putin to back off. Russia would suffer a lot under sanctions if the US can get enough nations on board.

Except Sadam was under the impression he had American permission for the invasion from talking to the ambassador and America bombed water and sewage treatment plants (a warcrime) resulting in iirc a million civilians dead.

Weka
May 5, 2019

pro starcraft loser posted:

I like how the entire argument of Russia is that they dont want NATO on their doorstep...so they will invade more countries until NATO is literally on their doorstep due to the countries they conquer.

Point me to where Russia has said they will invade Ukraine. It's not their argument, it's an argument that's been put in their mouths.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Taerkar posted:

No you don't understand, NATO forced Putin to invade Georgia. It's only by invading Georgia could Putin show all those former Soviet states that they'd be better off without NATO promising to help them remain independent.

How come south Ossetia and Abkhazia don't get to be independent? Don't you support their people's right to self determination?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

This is just being willfully ignorant of the geopolitical situation. Stop doing the FSB’s job unless you are getting a paycheck.

Lol you are the person who thought the USSR existed during the Balkans genocides in the 90s. Also if I was receiving a Russian paycheck it would more likely be coming from the SVR. You don't even know what the FSB is.

Weka
May 5, 2019

NSFW
https://i.imgur.com/2xUXrJf.png

Xenocides posted:

It was horribly lovely (both literally and figuratively) to hit the water treatment infrastructure and then petty to put the parts needed to fix them on the embargo list.

Saddam did believe that but it was his own stupidity or a translation mistake. The ambassador told Saddam that the US wasn’t taking sides in the border dispute Iraq had with Kuwait. Pretty sure that neutrality on where a border should be doesn’t mean you are okay with one nation deciding the issue by invading and conquering the entirety of the other nation. Even if it was a mistake it became clear way before the shooting started that the US was going to intervene and Iraq had time to withdraw.

Wasn’t perfect or nice but the conflict wasn’t as nasty and protracted and interminable and unwanted as Afghanistan and Iraq 2.0.

Maybe it was a mistake but I'm not convinced that spook president didn't set it up on purpose. It would have been very easy to be clear.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

You seem to be pretty mad. Like someone who got called out. Am I bothering you at work? Are you currently posting from St. Petersburg?

No I'm just dismissive of somebody who doesn't know when the USSR dissolved telling me I don't know about geopolitics. You may notice my long winded informative posts to people who aren't morons and are posting in good faith.

Weka
May 5, 2019

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

ukraine is being jumped into nato this is a hazing thing

They need to hurry up and invade Russia. Pretty much every major NATO country has, I think it's basically a requirement for membership. Spain, you're on shakey ground.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Weka posted:

They need to hurry up and invade Russia. Pretty much every major NATO country has, I think it's basically a requirement for membership. Spain, you're on shakey ground.

poo poo, maybe Ukraine is going to make a big push into Donbass. America is shipping anti bunker rockets.
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...RgB8USbFb3SI480

Weka
May 5, 2019

Much like states, most people are both good and bad in varying degrees.

Weka
May 5, 2019

SRQ posted:

The USSR was totally a friend to the global lower class, largely because I think they realized it was a great way to fight the capitalist status quo. Any time said global lower class decided they didn't like the soviets they had a pretty fair chance of having their own form of 'police actions' done on them. They also backed a ton of awful regimes.

It is an interesting perspective though. There's nobody around anymore that backs the sort of groups that the USSR did. Nobody cares to, or for that matter has anything to gain, by backing communist rebels anywhere.

So yeah like that rad cool guy said, seeing it as black and white for either side without nuance is dumb. I honestly, legitimately, think we'd be better off of the USSR hadn't collapsed though. I'll take a bipolar world with kinda-sorta criminal superpowers over a nasty clusterfuck. God the way things are going to, we're going to go from one democratic superpower and one communist one to everyone just being fascist through and through.

I don't think it's accurate to call China fascist.

Weka
May 5, 2019

StoryTime posted:

I think they should shoot the gay bomb at the soldiers to either lower or improve their morale, I dunno.

Fine, strap that jdam kit to me.

Weka
May 5, 2019

pro starcraft loser posted:

I thought I saw that Germany is willing to use the pipeline in sanctions against Russia if they invade. If so, this is pretty much over as that'd be crushing for Putin.

https://www.dw.com/en/us-nord-stream-2-will-not-move-forward-if-russia-invades-ukraine/a-60568732

Confirmed. I don't know how crushing it would be though, there's the Belarus pipeline and of course if Russia were to conquer Ukraine then of course there's those pipelines too.

This is probably just a low cost indication of support from Germany to appease America.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I've seen no real evidence they intend to invade. Do you think America is planning to invade Russia because they have 74,000 troops in Europe?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Betty Wight posted:

The scare stories are so that people support us going into Ukraine. Russia is already the belligerent. These articles are entirely for the US home audience so that if we do need to play world police there is popular support for the action.

Which is exactly what any good state department does. It builds the domestic case to support why for an action.

Russia still isn’t going to invade. While Russia is comfortable going to war in the winter, taking Crimea is different than all of Ukraine. They also telegraphed their actions way in advance so it’s obviously about negotiating leverage. Russia invading is Putin ensuring the west meets every strategic objective in Eastern Europe.

Good as in effective, sure. Good as in moral, well...

Play posted:

I like how the one party not mentioned by this brain genius is the country full of people about to get invaded and murdered

This is probably what people in Georgia and the Crimean Peninsula were saying before they.... you know.

Yeah Ukraine is a much different, bigger and more well-supported target. And the modus operandi is much different this time. But even if it doesn't end up happening, it should be treated as imminent until proven otherwise.

The war in Georgia was to support the breakaway republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, who don't want to be part of Georgia and have claimed independence since the breakup of the USSR.
The majority of people in Crimea have voted repeatedly in support of independence from Ukraine.
The Donbass however is another story, where most people seem to want to be part of Ukraine.

Obviously Putin didn't enter these conflicts out of the goodness of his heart, but it's harder to criticize military actions in support of self determination.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Sekenr posted:

Lol how did Crimea vote "repeatedly" to be part of Russia when there was exactly 1 quik n dirty referendum 2 weeks after military occupation

You're right, I was confusing polling with voting. They have been repeatedly polled with similar results though. Here's one, more are at the link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Crimean_status_referendum
"The United Nations Development Programme conducted a series of polls in Crimea between 2009 and 2011 about the question of leaving Ukraine and joining Russia with a sample size of 1,200:"

code:
Quarter   	Yes 	No   	Undecided
2009 Q3[29]	70% 	14% 	16%
2009 Q4[29]	67% 	15% 	18%
2010 Q1[30]	66% 	14% 	20%
2010 Q2[30]	65% 	12% 	23%
2010 Q3[30]	67% 	11% 	22%
2010 Q4[30]	66% 	9%   	25%
2011 Q4[31]	65.6%	14.2%	20.2%
Here's a Forbes article suggesting the same thing.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2015/03/20/one-year-after-russia-annexed-crimea-locals-prefer-moscow-to-kiev/?sh=5fe72e29510d

E: spelling

Weka fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 29, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

Earwicker posted:

in the late 1930's most citizens of the Free City of Danzig, who were mostly German speaking, wanted to leave Poland and be annexed by Germany. does this mean one shouldn't criticize the German invasion of Poland?

if you look hard enough you can find breakaway regions and cities all over the world. these are often manipulated by the opponents of the country in which they exist, especially when there is a cultural or ethnic tie between the breakaway region and the opposing country. this doesn't automatically make military action more justified or moral.

If Germany merely annexed Danzig it would be harder to criticize. Note I didn't say you shouldn't criticize anything.

steinrokkan posted:

Lmao, the Ossetians did a brutal ethnic cleansing of all the Georgians, and the crimeans did the same to the indigenous Tartars. I guess genocide is self determination.

You know the difference between ethnic cleansing and genocide bud so if you want to criticize me please do it without the bullshit.

Weka
May 5, 2019

You know in the 90s Georgian militias burned down like 80% of Tskhinvali, where most people in South Ossetia live, right? I'm not saying the subsequent expulsion of Georgians was good but it's pretty understandable.
How do you feel about the expulsion of Germans from eastern Europe following WW2?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Looks like Ded Moroz has had a haircut.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Uncle Enzo posted:

I completely agree with the point you're trying to make: if the people in a country have done bad things, they deserve to get invaded by Russia, who will surely be more humane.

Unironically they almost certainly were more humane. South Ossetia and Abkhazia should be allowed to be independent nations without military intervention in an ideal world but we don't live there.
Probably less than a thousand people died as a result of this war. Maybe it was bad, although I'm sceptical, but I think it's fairly clear Russian military intervention is more humane than a bunch of Caucasians ethnic cleansing each other, and an order of magnitude atleast more humane than any American military action atleast since ww2.

Weka
May 5, 2019

eSports Chaebol posted:

the Russians saw NATO wanted Free Kosovo and they thought the fine print said “free Kosovo with another breakaway republic of equal or lesser value” but the deal is void where prohibited!

LOL.

Flavahbeast posted:

are you talking about the war with Georgia or the war with Ukraine? Georgia was was under 1000 by most estimates Ive seen but the Ukraine war is at like 15000 and counting

Yeah that whole exchange was about Georgia.

Crimea was what, half a dozen deaths?

As I've said, the Donbass stuff is pretty hard to justify.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dang, have you fellows heard about this Defender Europe jazz? An operation run in 2020 and 2021. Here's some highlights from wiki for 2020.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NATO_exercises

"On September 4, the American B-52s entered the airspace of Ukraine for the first time in history, where they made a long flight along the borders of the Crimean peninsula.[10]

On Sep. 25, two U.S. bombers staged a mock attack run on Russia’s territory in Eastern Europe. The flight path allowed the bombers effectively to fly a circle around Kaliningrad, a Russian exclave on the Baltic between Poland and Lithuania. The simulated raid on the Kaliningrad region was a test case of destroying Russian air defense systems located in the region.[11]

Altogether, in August-September 2020, American nuclear weapons carriers flew at least 18 times to Russia's northern, western and southern borders during the operation, which is an unprecedented event since the end of the Cold War.[12]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

I mean, obviously, when killing 15,000 people pales in comparison to your yearly atrocity rate, this might not seem like a big deal, but most countries (all except one) are not in the habit of nuclear brinkmanship style "training exercises". Nobody needs another Able Archer 83. Like how do you not see 18 sorties by nuke bombers right up to the edge of Russian airspace as an aggressive act? How can you expect Russia not to see it that way? That's a genuine question I'd love you to answer.