Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
MX-5 is the best racing series happening. I am being 100% serious. Take 45 minutes out of 12 days of your year and enjoy it, it really doesn’t get much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sexual Lorax posted:

this sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole on bop/eot stuff so thanks

is there any information available to fans about the degree to which each car is handicapped or is that secret sauce so casuals like me can be ignorant and happy about the tight racing

edit

found this but have no idea how to interpret it https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2023/01/12/TB-IWSC-23-12-GTP-BoP-ROAR-01122023.pdf

It looks like they're not doing a lot for now, which is pleasing. The Acura is allowed to rev higher but that's probably a function of its engine type as much as anything.

GT3 is governed the same by the way.

There's no reason to care if you don't want to, it does as you say give tight racing but just be aware sometimes a race is won by fooling the BoP guys before the race even begins (LeMans has suffered this in GT a bit) and that anyone saying "Ferrari won x" is kinda talking bollocks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

this is wild stuff

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
LMDh BoP is pretty straightforward right now, especially since they are only running against themselves. Power is limited (and measured) at the axles to 500kW peak. IMSA defines a power curve in the BOP documents that all cars must adhere to over their rev range, by percentage, so at X percent of your rev limit you're allowed to make Y power.

Minimum weights are all identical, the aero box is entirely limited by a maximum lift:drag ratio, and the cars only have one adjustable aero device, the rear wing. Front aero is fixed, so balancing is done with ride heights while overall level is set with the rear wing.

It's a pretty boxed in formula so they're naturally gonna be very close.

The one thing that has intrigued me is how they control that power curve. The MGU actually is a major part of it, if the ICE is exceeding the power limit, the MGU will kick in and generate energy to soak up that overpower. This is of course pretty inefficient fuel-wise since you're adding conversion losses to the gear train losses on any overpower event, so I imagine, much like wastegates in current F1 cars, you'll see that used less and less as the engine control software improves. I suspect the turbo cars will have their boost control on point pretty fast. The Caddy I'm not so sure how they'll efficiently manage engine output to adhere to that curve. Presumably the curve is modeled off a NA engine like DPi BoP is so they won't have too much of a time doing that but while the MGU is deploying they'll still have to cut power. Wonder if they'll pull timing or use a fly-by-wire throttle or change engine maps on the fly.

Tons of really cool software implications behind the scenes that we won't really see too much of since it's designed to be a fairly opaque setup.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There's still more to add, but the 2023 Thread is up and I'm stickying it for the Daytona 24 weekend.