Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Problem description: As the title suggests, I'm getting a variety of BSOD messages. It always occurs within 10 min of regular browsing (seems to occur more frequently when watching video) or 20-30 min of idling. Strangely though, it does not occur during gaming at all. I can play a game for hours no problem. A few of the errors I have received recently:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL- This is by far the most frequent error
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

There are other errors, but these seem to be the most frequent. One other thing to note: when running driver verifier, I do not get any BSODs. System interupt service shoots up to 60-90% CPU usage but does not crash.

Attempted fixes: Clean install of Windows 10, memtest86 on each stick of RAM with no errors, chkdsk with no errors, replaced the RAM, replaced the HDD, updated BIOS to latest version, swapped RAM into different slots. I have spent most of the time focused on drivers though as that seems to be the leading cause according to Google. I have installed the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, and done a clean install where I grabbed the drivers individually from the vendors. I also did a clean install of windows and let windows update grab the drivers. I am doing no overclocking whatsoever, and do not have any overclocking utilities installed. I have not touched any voltage or speed settings in the BIOS either.

Recent changes: This is a new PC build

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi
CORSAIR CV Series CV650
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 Overclocked 6G GDDR6 Dual-Fan EVO Edition
Western Digital 500GB WD Blue

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That is definitely a very cheap PSU to pair with that GPU. I wouldn't be shocked if that was the issue.

A few things you could try:

-Run CDI to check HD health: https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/76547/CrystalDiskInfo8_14_2.exe/

-Upgrading to W11.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Zogo posted:

That is definitely a very cheap PSU to pair with that GPU. I wouldn't be shocked if that was the issue.

A few things you could try:

-Run CDI to check HD health: https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/76547/CrystalDiskInfo8_14_2.exe/

-Upgrading to W11.

I'll start with windows 11 then see if I can borrow a psu to test. Thanks for the reply!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Do you have any keyboard/mouse/RGB software installed?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Update. It's been several days since I upgraded to windows 11, and the system seems way more stable. I encountered one bsod related to the nvidia driver right after installation but none since. Cautiously optimistic that this is resolved. Thanks to everyone who replied!